• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ultraman Film Opens in China Without Japanese Rights Holder's Approval

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
So this is tied to the ongoing dispute between Tsuburaya and Chaiyo Productions in Thailand?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
So this is tied to the ongoing dispute between Tsuburaya and Chaiyo Productions in Thailand?

Yes.

BlueArc is a legitimate animation studio. Their TV show, Kibaoh Battle Blade, was picked up by Saban Brands and launched on Netflix over the summer. The first Dragon Force film actually got released in Japan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget that China has a lot of communism, so this type of situation seems like something one would expect.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Let's not forget that China has a lot of communism, so this type of situation seems like something one would expect.

China has very strict copyright laws, but a not-so-stellar track record of getting corporations to comply with the laws, which has much more to do with uncooperative local governments than "communism".
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually kinda wanna see this movie.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The parties at China sure like to make problem where there's none. It ain't gonna do their already strenuous relationship any good.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah, good old Chaiyo making a mess of things again
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I find this one interesting as indicative of the extent of the modern Chinese public's dislike for things Japanese because of WWII and the desire to portray China as powerful relative to Japan. Lest this sounds like an exaggeration, a 20-something Chinese friend of mine refused to let his young son watch Ultraman because of a belief that the show had a subtle pro-Japanese/anti-Chinese message. Rolling Eyes

Now, I can't believe someone tried to assert Chinese copyright laws are anything other than laughable because the government has demonstrated time and again that they have no intention to enforce them. They only exist as a ruse to "prove" that they are in strict compliance with International law in order to nullify the arguments of international companies to the contrary. I'm willing to bet the production company went ahead with the release knowing they were in direct violation so they could get a "war chest" of money to block the inevitable legal action.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
This is a far more complicated situation than the typical "China don't care" copyright violations. Chinese courts have held up Chaiyo's contract, giving them ownership over the original Ultraman shows, as valid. This is technically an officially licensed Ultraman film ... just not by Tsuburaya.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
This is a far more complicated situation than the typical "China don't care" copyright violations. Chinese courts have held up Chaiyo's contract, giving them ownership over the original Ultraman shows, as valid. This is technically an officially licensed Ultraman film ... just not by Tsuburaya.

It's not just Chinese courts. (Actually I never read that myself...)

The Japanese high court (their Supreme Court) ruled that the original wording for the contract between the Tsuburaya and Chaiyo was vague or words to that extent. It definitely should have been worded better than it was and they ruled that Chaiyo had international rights to the first few Ultraman TV shows.

Something like this happened with the original SDF Macross, too, between Tatsunoko and Studio Nue. Studio Nue couldn't finish Macross on its own so they contracted with Tatsunoko as a production company. There was a vaguely worded note giving Tatsunoko the INTERNATIONAL distribution rights to SDF Macross in exchange for funding and production support. That's how Macross was incorporated as part of Robotech AFTER HG realized there wasn't enough footage to syndicate the show in the US -- they needed 65 episodes but had only 36 which is why Mospeada and Southern Cross was melded into the storyline as they were. HG was Tatsunoko's licensee for the footage for years.
Now, years later, it looks like HG is losing its license to the footage for good (or at least until someone coughs up the money to relicensed the footage -- which I predict will happen) but that's a separate issue. Companies that WANT to license the original SDF Macross still have to deal with Tatsunoko for THAT series. The other Macross shows and ALL the feature films DO NOT belong to Tatsunoko let alone HG. They're Big West/Studio Nue property. Big West just doesn't want to deal with Western companies as long as the situation with the original show exists but they have been approached (most famously AnimEigo which wanted to licensed Macross: DYRL in the mid-1990s as well as the original SDF Macross series) and for at least a while Macross II and Macross Plus WERE sold in the West. LA Hero/US Renditions had the licenses to Macross II and Macross Plus before their rights were bought out by Manga Entertainment.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
If this is due to poor contract work, then Japan needs to hire better lawyers in writing these contracts.

Needless to say, China once again showing the extents they will go for their propaganda. Instead of fighting it, they are buying it. Just boggles the mind people hate the USA because of them being "evil imperialists", yet China walks all over everyone, because they are the new Mr. Big. Companies need to learn to be more cautious with their own properties.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
A Chinese movie propaganda making Ultraman a vilain good job china filling exactly where Shinzo Abe need.

That's why Japan got a rise in nationalism in recent year and that's why they Shinzo Abe will win to have Japan finally a real army.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The Chaiyo saga is so infuriating and insane. Sompote Saengduenchai has no legitimate claim to Ultraman, yet the Thai court bought a forgery and a fairy tale.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company seeks to halt screenings of the film, and is planning legal action.

In a somewhat perverse way, it would be intriguing to see what any such actions would amount to, if anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1