• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Nostalgic OVAs That Are Out of Print

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Luckily, despite their out-of-print status you can easily get a VHS and/or DVD of all these titles from Amazon or eBay. (MAPS, Plastic Little, and Tattoon Master are a bit more pricey on DVD than VHS, but still not outrageous...especially if you want that Jiggle Counter™ for Plastic Little Laughing)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
I need some good definition of what a filler arc is lol. I always thought it meant something along the line of non-canon material filling time between main story elements.

Because if we count any anime original content as a possible choice this list needs a revamp.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Most of the results in last week's poll are misspelled (usually user-submitted results are fixed before actually posting them, but not this time apparently), and some of those in particular aren't filler arcs no matter how you look at them or what definition of filler you're going by. Heck, at least one of those was central to the plot of the entire show!

Last edited by XerBlade on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I honestly tend to let Discotek tell me which old OVAs and movies are worth my time these days. Not that I don't appreciate forming my own opinion, but they clearly have experts at picking things out to license. I highly suspect Mike Toole is one of them (who else would want to bring Giant Gorg and Chargeman Ken to the masses? Gotta admit it's mighty suspicious that he's written many an article on things that end up getting Discotek licenses....)
But I also appreciate that Discotek admits when they have licensed things on the basis that they are trash. They literally advertised things like Mad Bull 34, Violence Jack, and Chargeman Ken as being delightful garbage (have you seen their episode descriptions for Ken on Crunchyroll? They are epic). They know the audience who wants to experience this trash and they are being straight forward about it, I can respect that (especially when they then turn around and get Cyborg 009, Tomorrow's Joe movie, Kaiba, etc etc). Discotek really is my fav US anime company. Curse that sale though, not quite enough money to buy everything I want to at the moment...
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Own two of these (Gestalt and Tattoon Master) and have seen Plastic Little and maybe Sol Bianca; don't clearly remember on the latter, but I know it was available on a VOD service at one point, while the former was a fairly common rental option back in the day. Of the other four, I've at least heard of all but MAPS.

And yeah, Gestalt just cutting off after only two episodes really bugged me. It was kinda dumb but had at least some interesting twists to it, and I remember it being remarkably "meta" for its time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
With this List, I'm wondering if I'm nostalgic about the wrong things or if these shows are back in print. Let's look...

Photon: The Idiot Adventures: No, this one remains out of print. The harem anime, distilled down to a few girls and an idiot hero. "He doesn't know what he's doing, he's utterly clueless... oh, I guess he does know..."

Puni Puni Poemy: Excel Saga boiled down to two episodes and a faster pace.

3 x 3 Eyes: This one's a heartbreaker of missed potential. Now that I think about it, it's Is This a Zombie?! but played seriously. With pain, lots of pain...

Eiken... The List didn't say "good", it said "nostalgic".
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness that Key the Metal Idol hasn't suffered such a fate as these titles. It was in limbo for many a foul year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
With this List, I'm wondering if I'm nostalgic about the wrong things or if these shows are back in print. Let's look...

Photon: The Idiot Adventures: No, this one remains out of print. The harem anime, distilled down to a few girls and an idiot hero. "He doesn't know what he's doing, he's utterly clueless... oh, I guess he does know..."

Discotek to the rescue! it'll be back in print by the end of the year.

One thing I'm really interested in checking out is Video Girl AI (Discotek, pleassse?)
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Most of the results in last week's poll are misspelled (usually user-submitted results are fixed before actually posting them, but not this time apparently), and some of those in particular aren't filler arcs no matter how you look at them or what definition of filler you're going by. Heck, at least one of those was central to the plot of the entire show!

Indeed. If you're going to call the Owee arc of Gintama filler just because it doesn't make progress the plot, then half of the series is filler.
And Ansatsu's Discord arc filler?
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
3 x 3 Eyes: This one's a heartbreaker of missed potential. Now that I think about it, it's Is This a Zombie?! but played seriously. With pain, lots of pain...

Talking about 3x3 Eyes, what was the secret project that had been teased with this news?
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-09/secret-new-3x3-eyes-content-teased-with-anime-footage/.92709
Was it the sequel manga? Or a pachinko machine maybe?
DanQ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Elf princess Rane DVD is treasure in my collection Anime smile. I love Akitaro Daichi's style <3.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, the eyes on those girls in Debutante Detective Corps are bigger than the boobs in Plastic Little! O.O

I can't remember if I've seen Gestalt or not, but I think I have. I own the Sol Bianca The Legacy remake on dvd, and I still really like it. I've always been a fan of Naoyuki Onda's designs since Ai no Kusabi first brought him to my attention.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I ordered Elf Princess Rane a long time ago and for a good price too, but it got lost in transit, so I never got to actually watch it. : (
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Of those titles listed, I find I have:

Gestalt (Bask in the Fires of Sorcery!) I don't remember anything about this show at all though I'm sure I watched it.

Elf Princess Rane (Never say die . . . just say gatcha ba goose!) This is one of those shows that have you laughing so much you don't realize until later that it made no sense at all. Highly recommended.

Plastic Little (They may be plastic but they aren't little) Not a bad story there is also a one volume manga it is unrelated as to plot but has the same characters.

I'm reasonably sure I had MAPS on VHS but couldn't get past the first episode. It is long gone.

Other titles that are long gone and could probably warrant a new license:

Legend of Lemnear Character design by the same person as Plastic Little. Swords and sorcery.

Here is Green Wood: Hijinks in a boy's highschool dorm. An advertisement for the manga. Unlike most this did not duplicate the stories in the manga. Both are recommended.

Darkside Blues: Supernatural action. It has been a long time since I watched this but I do remember enjoying it.

Outlanders: A very much shortened version of the manga. Space Opera with organic spaceships.

Master of Mosquiton: The mosquito in question is a very hen picked vampire.

The Five Star Stories: the first arc of the manga that ran in New Type magazine for many years. Recommended

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland: CLAMP meets Alice and things get really weird. It has as an on disk extra a printable Miyuki-chan paper doll.

Hyper doll (Mew & Mica the Easy Fighters) Alien magic girls protecting Earth from ridiculous monsters. When they are not too busy bickering with each other. Unfortunately the DVD version does not have the short live action episodes from the VHS tapes.

Phantom Quest Corp.: An anti supernatural detective agency. A female detective with a lipstick that converts into something akin to a light saber. Notable for one of the best music sound tracks ever.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I always loved the Please Save My Earth OVAs. While missing a true ending (it was a fairly long manga), and being a bit rushed at the end, that story was so impactful, and had some really haunting music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6