• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paradise Papers Reveal Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama's Offshore Investment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
So, a shady real estate investment in the US? At least is wasn't swamp land in Florida, I've seen that and you don't want it. Shocked

I'm not thinking that Toriyama had any real notion of what the business was up to when he signed up and talking to him isn't going bring much of anything to light.

Mark Gosdin
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Not much to see here.

Nothing is especially illegal about most of the stuff in the Paradise Papers, immoral and rude, yeah but not a lot of it is illegal for the investor.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
As this is involves a US company, any chance of this striking back at him? For comparison Log Horizon author Mamare Touno got three years suspended for tax evasion last year but that was in Japan.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
I got excited when I seen the Dragon Ball Full Color thumbnail.. I wish Viz would continue it..
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
As this is involves a US company, any chance of this striking back at him? For comparison Log Horizon author Mamare Touno got three years suspended for tax evasion last year but that was in Japan.

Yeah, and while the web novel has slowly continued with a couple more volumes, no light novel volumes have been released in Japan since then. But I don't see this being a similar issue for Toriyama. What Touno did was illegal, Toriyama has not broken the law.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
So from what I gathered from the article, Toriyama invested in an American company. Said company came under fire for not properly filing taxes and that investors COULD be held liable for it after a Supreme Court case. The Paradise Papers are supposed to expose how the wealthy avoid taxation as much as possible but the article sends mixed messages. Was Toriyama held liable or not? If he was then he needs to pay those taxes. If not then I don't see the problem. But the article fails to clarify this. I believe more details and context is necessary.

I'm also inclined to believe that Toriyama has someone else investing for him and I doubt he had any knowledge of all this. Toriyama doesn't quite strike as an accounting genius, but I've never met the guy.

Until more conclusive evidence comes out I'm gonna go ahead and reserve judgement. I'd advise others to do the same.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
So, a shady real estate investment in the US? At least is wasn't swamp land in Florida, I've seen that and you don't want it. Shocked

Mark Gosdin

M.T. Lott really wanted it and turned it into a world vacation destination. I don't think Toriyama had anything that ambitious though.

Blanchimont wrote:

Touno was directly involved with his crime of tax evasion. Toriyama's involvement here is indirect, with him investing into a company later discovered to be operating illegally. I doubt Toriyama knew about that when he invested (as you want to look good to your potential investors). After this, if Toriyama will get into any sort of trouble, it'll simply be that he continued to have money in the company after it was discovered the firm was committing fraud.

Zeino wrote:
So from what I gathered from the article, Toriyama invested in an American company. Said company came under fire for not properly filing taxes and that investors COULD be held liable for it after a Supreme Court case. The Paradise Papers are supposed to expose how the wealthy avoid taxation as much as possible but the article sends mixed messages. Was Toriyama held liable or not? If he was then he needs to pay those taxes. If not then I don't see the problem. But the article fails to clarify this. I believe more details and context is necessary.

I'm also inclined to believe that Toriyama has someone else investing for him and I doubt he had any knowledge of all this. Toriyama doesn't quite strike as an accounting genius, but I've never met the guy.

Until more conclusive evidence comes out I'm gonna go ahead and reserve judgement. I'd advise others to do the same.

That being said, Toriyama decided to get out of active manga writing after Dragon Ball finished and instead became a freelance artist. Even for someone as famous as him, he can get stretches of no work and would want some incoming stream of money. Of course, this would all come down to when he invested, considering the United States was caught in a real estate bubble that burst a few years ago. (My hunch tells me he was a passive investor, buying into the hype when the bubble was expanding and not doing anything after that, simply accepting the checks as they arrive.)
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Not much to see here.

Nothing is especially illegal about most of the stuff in the Paradise Papers, immoral and rude, yeah but not a lot of it is illegal for the investor.

The worst part is that it's legal. Evading taxes should be illegal no matter what, but the rich and powerful who wanted to evade taxes and hoard every cent they earn made it legal to do so by influencing politics and law. The problem with this however, is that the tax burden falls on the 99% of people who aren't filthy rich to support the government's programs. When this happens, an incredibly large amount of potential tax revenue is lost and this makes socialized/tax programs (public school, medicaid, social security, building/maintaining roads, etc.) much more demanding to keep around. Make no mistake, just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't one of the most despicably evil things the rich do in their shortsighted lust for wealth.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
well,time to cancel Dragon Ball Super immediately,because that's how it's done these days...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I could have sworn all his money would be found in Bali, under the care of Wayan Budhiyasa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
Ten Crowns to the first journalist who describes the ensuing aftermath of these revelations using the phrase; "The Phantom of The Paradise Papers".
A Beefy ordeal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
The problem with this however, is that the tax burden falls on the 99% of people who aren't filthy rich to support the government's programs.

Not. Even. Close/

https://www.cnbc.com/2013/12/11/the-rich-do-not-pay-the-most-taxes-they-pay-all-the-taxes.html
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
Hopefully the Paradise Papers exposes some of the Hollywood Accounting practices various Amer. film studios like to do. When that happens, the copyright infringement/piracy card is arguably justified. Heck, that would make an interesting fair use argument.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

and it was that legal issue which pretty much ended any continuation of that series let alone touno's career. the author have pretty much dropped off from the face of the earth when it was all said and done.

and knowing this anti manga govt as well as i do (which is being runned by PM shinzo abe whose pretty much have it in for the otaku community with these crappy ass laws he's had passed over the years) , he would without a doubt use the law to completely string toriyama's head on a platter if the govt decides to bring charges on him with the notion that "no one no matter who they are is above the law!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enturax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
He should invest in not making Dragon Ball Super. Rolling Eyes Seriously, the show is below even GT standards, so that just shows what kind of DB fans there are who support it. BUT, I gotta add something: who the hell drew Goku in episode 114? He looked fantastic for the most part! That person should leave Toei as soon as possible and go to some decent studio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2