• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Juni Taisen: Zodiac War Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
This was the series that convinced for what ever promise Nisio Isin holds for his almost cult-like fan base his books will never be for me and I was never that big of a fan to begin with any way.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's buttery popcorn entertainment at its best.

Weird way to spell "increasingly interminably boring with the brief exception of Monkey biting it". At any rate, nice to know this series was dreck from its inception as opposed to a flawed adaptation.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
According to the anime website, Rabbit's phrase is:
異常に殺す
"Ijou ni korosu"

Ijou is the opposite of normal; Jim Breen's definition is "strangeness; abnormality; disorder."

I would definitely be interested in hearing the logic that led the novel's translator to go with 'distinction' instead. 'psychotically' seems to fit the character and the Japanese wording better.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Is this really one volume? I get this weird feeling we're missing something. Could it be possible there are things the translation missed because of Isin's weird prose?

But then again, this isn't really surprising.

I guess that explains the strangeness I felt when comparing Juuni Taisen with Medaka Box, his other series that's also relatively more action-oriented.

I think I have to agree about how well the production staff handled the anime.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...because I can't get enough of its bombastic, twisted characters murdering one another. It's buttery popcorn entertainment at its best.

The fact that we live in a world where the majority finds that amusing or "buttery".

(not saying it's not okay to write/like that, just... maybe as an intellectual exercise/ cathartic tragedy/ something, but ... as "buttery entertainment"? Then again, this is the same species that watched the gladiators in Ancient Rome, they just think they're better now because they just like watching extremely graphic and realistic fake murders up close, every day, instead of real murders from a distance every once in a while... )
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
The fact that we live in a world where the majority finds that amusing or "buttery".

I believe the adjective "buttery" there was being used to describe popcorn, not the content of the series.

But that aside, most people are able to make a distinction between fiction and reality. I'm sorry that you have difficulty enjoying action shows.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Geez it's that bad huh?
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks very much for the review. I'd been going back and forth on whether or not to continue watching the anime for this, and knowing the source material is this bad has convinced me to quit wasting my time watitng for it to improve. One less show on my list.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

(not saying it's not okay to write/like that, just... maybe as an intellectual exercise/ cathartic tragedy/ something, but ... as "buttery entertainment"? Then again, this is the same species that watched the gladiators in Ancient Rome, they just think they're better now because they just like watching extremely graphic and realistic fake murders up close, every day, instead of real murders from a distance every once in a while... )

My response:
https://youtu.be/eUHEzBt4SRo?t=202
LinkSword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The anime is god awful and increasingly so each week. The pilot was really promising, but everything afterwards has been the antithesis of entertainment. Every death is an anticlimactic curbstomp, the flashbacks are terrible, the animation work is quickly going to hell and so is the quality of the dialogue.

I'm not surprised to read that the novel is bad as well, but it's hilarious that the reviewer likes the anime. One less person to take seriously, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1