• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Sword Oratoria Novel 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Shame really there was a lot of potential for Sword Oratoria. While the anime certainly covered most of the key parts it got bogged down by a certain character and some changes that were made. Still hoping for a season 2 of the main series
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Shame really there was a lot of potential for Sword Oratoria. While the anime certainly covered most of the key parts it got bogged down by a certain character and some changes that were made. Still hoping for a season 2 of the main series

you shouldn't be surprised by that. if they had completely adapted the light novels, both danmachi and its spinoff wouldn't be a 12 ep series which is what the anime committee was planing from the start.

besides, it wouldnt have mattered since most of these LN adaptations like danmachi only have 12 eps for its adaptation and even more so, rarely have a 2nd season. its why i tend to hold any anime series that are adapted from light novels with a massive grain of salt since they have the unfortunate tendency to have the infamous "read the books,kids!" type of ending, basically telling you that the whole anime is a glorified ad promotion for the source materials.

Quote:
Key fights were truncated enough to sap out much of their drama and vitality, some important details were skipped over, and the storytelling emphasis skewed more toward Lefiya, a character who hasn't resonated as well with fans

its because her attitude towards bell let alone any men in general & her obsession with aiz is far too reminiscence of index/railgun's kuroko shirai who is considered within the otaku community to be the most hated support character ever right alongside another lesbian characters like elena from Queens Blade, envy from sin nanatsu ni taizai & nina einstein from code geass.

its more or less why UQ Holder fans dont want that persona to be Karin's MO.

and its why if there is a season three of danmachi & sword oratoria, there are little to NO appearance time for lefiya and especially loki who takes her lesbian antics to the creepy level. though not as bad as say the antics that elena did!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

aiz is far too reminiscence of index/railgun's kuroko shirai who is considered within the otaku community to be the most hated support character ever right alongside another lesbian characters like elena from Queens Blade, envy from sin nanatsu ni taizai & nina einstein from code geass.

News to me, regarding Kuroko. I, and plenty others, find her to be one of the humorous highlights of both franchises. Her repeated headdesking is a meme for a reason, and it's just one of her many priceless reactions.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

aiz is far too reminiscence of index/railgun's kuroko shirai who is considered within the otaku community to be the most hated support character ever right alongside another lesbian characters like elena from Queens Blade, envy from sin nanatsu ni taizai & nina einstein from code geass.

News to me, regarding Kuroko. I, and plenty others, find her to be one of the humorous highlights of both franchises. Her repeated headdesking is a meme for a reason, and it's just one of her many priceless reactions.

Yea, Kuroko is very well liked within the fan base and even her annoying voice is quite fitting and charming because unlike Lefiya, Kuroko isn't just a fan girl but rather she has deep respect for Mikoto and her values and actually understands her.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I haven't seen much evidence, either, that Kuroko is deeply unpopular - definitely not to the level of Lefiya, anyway. She sure shows up commonly in ACMI franchise doujinshi - probably more than Index, in fact - and the Kuroko/Mikoto ship is very popular. Don't think I've ever seen an Aiz/Lefiya ship, or Lefiya even appearing in any DanMachi doujinshi. (Of course, with Hestia around, there's not a lot of room for other female characters to get involved. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
siromkun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The novel also offers significantly more detail about Tsubaki (Hephaistos Familia's head), the levels of certain characters, and a brief scene connecting this volume more firmly to a certain event in volume 8 of the main series.

If I may ask what scene is that exactly? I red both danmach vol 8,and oratoria vol 4, but can't recall the event you mention.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
^
In the novel (but not the anime) there's a brief scene where spoiler[Gareth asks Finn how that "other thing" is coming along, with that other being finding a wife to have children by. That is, of course, the focus of the segment of vol. 8 of the main series where Finn proposes to Lily. The timing here is an amusing bit of irony, since the scene plays out the night before they go into the Dungeon for the big expedition - in other words, the night before Finn encounters Lily in the Bell vs. Minotaur affair. While that isn't focused on either here or at the time in the main series, Finn comments in vol. 8 that the bravery she showed at that time in standing up despite her injuries was what inspired Finn to broach the subject with her.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
siromkun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
oh yeah...I forgot about that part.
Thank you for the answer
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, I haven't seen much evidence, either, that Kuroko is deeply unpopular - definitely not to the level of Lefiya, anyway. She sure shows up commonly in ACMI franchise doujinshi - probably more than Index, in fact - and the Kuroko/Mikoto ship is very popular. Don't think I've ever seen an Aiz/Lefiya ship, or Lefiya even appearing in any DanMachi doujinshi. (Of course, with Hestia around, there's not a lot of room for other female characters to get involved. . .)

its exactly my point. kuroko definitely shows up in those ACMI doujins cause her character in the source materials is unsettling to say the least. at least in those fan art doujins, she is not as annoying since its toned down a bit and mikoto dont have a thing for touma. its usually the most liked & the most disliked character for a series that shows up a lot of those doujinshi.

also the same can be said for loki whose even more of a nuisance than lefiya.

and there is another thing as well. its been years until this summer that we had any index/railgun news so you cant be surprised that you haven't seen anything regarding the characters popularity. not to mentioned the rise of other popular LNs like SAO and danmachi which have taken over index's spot as well.

but back when index/railgun was popular in both countries, she was definitely disliked. she was basically that franchise version of DBZ's mr satan. disliked to a point, but is required more or less as a comic relief character.

and the eng script didn't do any favors for kuroko with the whole "sissy" thing, even though i completely understand the reasoning's behind it.

one thing is for certain. for both danmachi and index/railgun, die hard fans of both series will agree that the less they see of those two, the better both series will be. especially in lefiya's case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
This intense hate of Kuroko among the fan base is in your head dude. Even at the franchise's peak, it wasn't a thing. Some people definitely don't like her but it was never at the height of lefiya dislike (which is pretty unanimous) or as quickly, it was just at the point of who is "best girl" dislike.
Like Misaka fans not liking Index and vice versa.

She has a fan club (I don't mean that literally)

In fact Kuroko was suppose to be the MC of the spinoff before the editor had him change it to Misaka and quite a lot of people was disappointed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
This intense hate of Kuroko among the fan base is in your head dude. Even at the franchise's peak, it wasn't a thing. Some people definitely don't like her but it was never at the height of lefiya dislike (which is pretty unanimous) or as quickly, it was just at the point of who is "best girl" dislike.

In fact Kuroko was suppose to be the MC of the spinoff before the editor had him change it to Misaka and quite a lot of people was disappointed.

uh not really. of course i do know that she have a large fanbase, but not as large as mikoto. also there are other anime forums, in both countries that really do not like her at all because she takes her antics too far at times. i don't say these things just for the hell of it.

its why fans of danmachi don't like loki cause she does the exact same pervy antics as kuroko. and if it basically wasn't for lefiya, she would be the most disliked support character in the entire series.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Is Loki really disliked that much, though? She's shrewder than might be immediately apparent, after all; you can see that in scenes where she's interacting with Freya or Dionysius, or with her Familia's leadership only. And although this is more apparent in the novels than the anime, she's a far step above many other gods in terms of being a responsible Familia leader.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Is Loki really disliked that much, though? She's shrewder than might be immediately apparent, after all; you can see that in scenes where she's interacting with Freya or Dionysius, or with her Familia's leadership only. And although this is more apparent in the novels than the anime, she's a far step above many other gods in terms of being a responsible Familia leader.

that may be true, and its that tendency of being a responsible leader when she wants to is the clear reason why her familia is currently the most strongest familia in the series, but it tends to be overshadowed by her antics towards her female members. especially aiz. its those pervy antics at times is why she is disliked in the series and if it wasn't for the clear disdain for lefiya, she would be talked about as being the most hated support character for the series. but yea. you do have me on how she runs her familia when she is not acting like an perv.

she is a hell of a lot better than soma.

not to mention that if she really was one of those men hating lesbian types, she would have had her familia ONLY for females so there's that.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

uh not really. of course i do know that she have a large fanbase, but not as large as mikoto. also there are other anime forums, in both countries that really do not like her at all because she takes her antics too far at times. i don't say these things just for the hell of it.

its why fans of danmachi don't like loki cause she does the exact same pervy antics as kuroko. and if it basically wasn't for lefiya, she would be the most disliked support character in the entire series.

You either missed the point of my comment or forgot your own argument or both. Either way I'm done here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1