• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wins Game of the Year at The Game Awards 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
In other news: GRASS IS GREEN.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild being Game of the Year! Very Happy Its open-world setting offered gamers plenty of freedom to finish the title however they wanted, which brought plenty of refreshment to the franchise. I look forward to seeing how Link handles his new bike in the latest update.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
The most unsurprising thing about this is Nier snatching rhe music award. Others actually have competition that could put up a fight.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
The most unsurprising thing about this is Nier snatching rhe music award. Others actually have competition that could put up a fight.

Persona 5 also had stellar music. My vote was ultimately between those 2.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
Niello wrote:

Persona 5 also had stellar music. My vote was ultimately between those 2.

Same here
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
That's surprising, There were several Mario titles nominated this year and it only took one award. Times are changing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
Now the Zelda fans can go back to being smug trolls to the "Horizon Zero Dawn" fanbase.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
My game of the year is Nioh and i am with Jim Sterling and George Weidman (Super Bunnyhop).
BotW is good - 7,5 to 8/10 but vastly overrated. It´s this year´s equivalent of MGS V. The gameplay and presentation are without reproach (use the Japanese voicepack) but the devs forgot to build a game and story around all these mechanics. It and the HD version of Twilight Princess were the last WiiU games I needed to complete before selling my console. I got stuck on playing Twilight Princess, a game I already finished on the Gamecube, when I put it in for a quick spin during my BotW playthough!
The direct sequel may very well become worthy of the praise BotW got but I won´t put this one in my Zelda top 5. Horizon (i bothered to get the Platinum) or Assassin's Creed were lastly the superior sub-genre entries this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I already said it on every site I'm writing from time to time...
The Game Awards are a joke, just look at the winners, there are so many that are just wrong, who maybe shouldn't even be nominated in the first place.
The awards shouldn't get so much attention, they are ridiculous.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
The Game Awards are a joke, just look at the winners, there are so many that are just wrong, who maybe shouldn't even be nominated in the first place.

Mind elaborating a bit? I think they're actually very good and highly respectable. Geoff has done a great job of improving the show every year and really does a great job at keeping the bullshit to minimum while still obviously accounting for all the corporate crap that's a necessity in pulling off a show that grand. The musical tributes are cool, the honouring of industry icons is really nice and quite touching and the fact they even have a "best student game" category is just great . The new game announcements and trailers are exciting. It's really a beautiful night of celebrating everything great about video games, the industry and community. On top of all that, the awards are chosen by over 50 specially picked members of the industry, real people we can put a face and name to with varying opinions. I agreed and called almost every winner and thought they were most certainly well deserved with absolutely no winners that didn't make perfect sense. So again, would you please care to elaborate?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad P5 won something, it definitely re-defined what modern JRPGs can do.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Now the Zelda fans can go back to being smug trolls to the "Horizon Zero Dawn" fanbase.

HZD got robbed of an award imo, so many nominations and didn't win anything lol Sad
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
Not surprised one bit. I've been saying it would win GotY for awhile now. It's the most deserving of the title.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:

Translation: Various things I don't care won awards or got attention I don't think they deserve so I'm going to be overly critical just cause.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
P5 should have won. A Japanese game based on Japan winning in America would have been the most beautiful thing ever.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
I've been playing it since its launch on March (Wii U version), and it entered my top-3 next to Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword. It's one of the best videogame ever made imho, and a reminder that Zelda, back in the 1986, was the first action-adventure / sandbox open-world game ever made.
Breath of the Wild is a reboot for the series, and I expect even greatest things from Fujibayashi and Aonuma's team in the future! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2