• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tsukiuta The Animation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, again, as with most anime, it comes down to one's personal opinion. I watched Tsukiuta and B-Project when they came out and I think I like them a lot because they were my first male idol animes. I know there are better ones out there, but I like the kind of relaxed and chill episodes in Tsukiuta. I mean it's not my most favorite anime or anything, but I liked it enough to buy it.

I mean who can't resist.....SHAKIN SUGAR SUGAR, SHAKIN SUGAR SUGAR Anime hyper
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
It takes a real man to put shojo manga on the shelf. I'm proud to have every omnibus volume of High School Debut on full display, right between Vagabond and Dorohedoro Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, To Luv Ru sure brings me back... great opener, good use of character models from Black Cat... I'm sure there's something else... no. Still, great opener. Awesome dub... candidate.

Familiar of Zero; I like the cast, I like the world, I like the show. I also like to see a show with a dub get finished. I have one dub/sub which is of course one too many. Usually I just get the first season and pretend its a modern anime that won't get a continuation.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Hesitant to call To Love Ru "complete" without the OAV, but I guess it's "complete" in the sense that that's all they'll bother to get.
The first six OAV had some of my favorite stories of the series too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
For Tsukiuta I actually enjoyed it but I am aware of its flaws. I have to wonder though if they animated the stories from the drama cd would it have a more positive feedback. The same could be said for Tsukipro. Also I am surprised that the girls were not mentioned as they are training to become a Goddess and that magic exists.

Last edited by SonicFanA on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
kucinglaper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It appears to have started as a series of Vocaloid songs.

Collab between 24 famous seiyuus (the girls included) and 12 famous Vocaloid producers. In the anime, those producers are the ones who made the ending themes.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Sadly, Revolutionary Girl Utena has been delayed again due to a lost shipment of rings needing to be re-manufactured.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
What is the dub for March Comes in Like a Lion like? I dropped the show, but after hearing all the overwhelming praise for it, I was thinking of watching it with the dub.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
kucinglaper wrote:
Quote:

Collab between 24 famous seiyuus (the girls included) and 12 famous Vocaloid producers. In the anime, those producers are the ones who made the ending themes.

I was about to say. Wasn't there a full girl-idol unit in that franchise? Is this another instance where that version failed horribly compared to the male idols because of the Love Live's and Idolmaster's juggernaut competition?
AkiDemi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
I totally understand the reason why a lot of people find tsukiuta/tsukipro mediocre or generic and boring, and i have to admit, i can't argue with the points picked up in this article as it is indeed a fact that it is an anime made with the assumption that one had already played its game (just like all other "otome games turn anime" produced animes) as well as its very mundane idol struggles episodes. However, as a first-time viewer myself, i quite enjoyed the series in a way that it's indeed not plot-heavy with heavy angst or mystery behind it. Its a good break for my brain from watching all the other different animes that have complicated plots behind them.
Plus i do enjoy the different songs introduced (just like a proper IDOL anime should) so for other first time viewers like me who knew nothing about this fandom prior to watching this anime, please do give it 3 episodes in, a try before you judge it.

although i do wonder why is the girls in tsukiuta not included, but then again it could be due to that fact there would be too many seiyuus to hire back? lol
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It's infuriating that there have been so many male idol shows and not a single one has been even decent. I so desperately want to enjoy one. I don't even really care about the dancing if the music is good. But I just can't stand the "characters". They're just devoid of personality that they don't even register to me as resembling humans. And I can't even entirely explain why. Even good idol shows like Love Live tend to have characters with generic personalities, catchphrases, and color codes to conveniently match concert sticks. But they have... soul, or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
kucinglaper wrote:
Quote:

I was about to say. Wasn't there a full girl-idol unit in that franchise? Is this another instance where that version failed horribly compared to the male idols because of the Love Live's and Idolmaster's juggernaut competition?

The girls still exist, they get still CDs, and merch . But they do get shafted pretty hard when it comes to things like stage play or anime. Not sure why.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
It's infuriating that there have been so many male idol shows and not a single one has been even decent. I so desperately want to enjoy one. I don't even really care about the dancing if the music is good. But I just can't stand the "characters". They're just devoid of personality that they don't even register to me as resembling humans. And I can't even entirely explain why. Even good idol shows like Love Live tend to have characters with generic personalities, catchphrases, and color codes to conveniently match concert sticks. But they have... soul, or something.

Which shows did you watch?

Because this is totally true about UtaPri, B Project, and Idolish 7.

But it's not true about Marginal #4 or StarMyu, which are amazing. Marginal #4 has really great characters. StarMyu has some of the best character writing I've seen in a long time.

Tsukiuta/Tsukipro is... I love it, but I really can't explain why I love it.

It's totally true that TsukiAni is a low-budget wreck, but if you love the characters, it can still be fun.
(Also, they have a murder mystery parody episode over the glasses character's glasses. How can you not love that?)
As for why I love the characters... I don't find the characters boring or generic at all, except for Kai and Iku. I get how you can say that about Kakeru, Koi, Aoi (even though I love him). But Hajime and Haru are something special - at least, I feel like there's something in them that I rarely see anywhere else. Hajime and Haru are a really good, balanced king/second ship. The closest I can think of is the Tsubasa version of Toya and Yukito, but they were barely there (at least for as far as I got in Tsubasa). K has good king and vassal relationships but none of them are romantic, at least not that way. K is all King/King (...I don't ship HajiShun at all, sorry).

I guess I just like the "king" thing, and I was drawn to Hajime as a character. Then, Arata is so charming, too. And Rui, because Shouta Aoi <3. And then I just sort of got into the others just because they were there.

But the story makes no sense... particularly with how they just throw in these magic elements with no explanation (so, Diablo shows up in ProAni... yeah.)

The other thing that's really interesting about Tsukipro is that they age in real time. So, Kakeru just turned 20 (and he's still a tiny cute fluff), but Iku and Koi have gotten older and hot. They all show up in one episode of ProAni, which is currently airing, so you can see them there (plus in various cameos, but only the seniors have speaking parts).

For the SQ and Alive groups.... SolidS is going to be the one most people can probably connect to most, because they're silly, but they're really fun. My personal favorite is Growth.

ProAni just ended up being a lot better than TsukiAni, so even if you hated TsukiAni, I'd give ProAni a chance.

...... Marginal #4/Pythagoras is still my favorite idol series, though. I just like their music better.

I think, in terms of composition, John's songs (TsukiPro Growth, Soara, SolidS, and Tsukiuta September solos) are the best, but Mikoto's songs (Pythagoras) are also really great. But just... with Pythagoras, all nine of them are just such great singers. This one is probably my favorite. And this one. (btw: the seiyuu for Sora, Nozomu, and Rui are in those. Yeah, Sora and Nozomu are played by the same seiyuu as the sophisticated prince idol group.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Hesitant to call To Love Ru "complete" without the OAV, but I guess it's "complete" in the sense that that's all they'll bother to get.
The first six OAV had some of my favorite stories of the series too.

and the fact that this series as well as season's two , three and four of zero no tsukaima got the sub only treatment while other harem series like samurai girls/bride didn't , and especially since its extremely mediocre for its genre speaks volumes. but not including the Ru uncensored oav's is more or less a travesty for this series. DEFINITELY NOT COMPLETE IF YOU ASK ME!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1