• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
This show is a male power fantasy but I have never understood why people consider that to be a problem. So far based on the first 2 episodes I am enjoying the story though the animation is a bit weak. The protagonist is not going to struggle much in a world where he is super powerful and his inner monologue is blunt but I think that is intentional. As for the issue of him being sleazy I think it is a bit early to say that since being cunning and practical is not the same as being evil. Than again I like the isekai genre so I generally am more optimistic about them.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Silver lining-At least Satoo has some kind of a personality even if he's a bit of a jerk. The only thing that really bored me to tears was when he was complementing the food. I hate this in pretty much every show unless it's done for comedic effect or actually necessary to show's plot like in Food wars (that does it for both reasons) where it's their job to critic food and it adds to the hilarity of the situation.

Hearing some random shmuck go into detail over how and why the food is so good is just boring, pretentious, and extremely annoying. I don't know why the Japanese feel the need to do this so much.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the review's characterization of him as an entitled asshole taking advantage of people is a bit much, he's just blunt in his thoughts but doesn't have any other meaning behind them.

That said, I don't really feel that this anime adaptation is anything to write home about anyway. I think the D was a bit low, but probably wouldn't give it more than a C if it were me. I'll keep watching since I enjoy the books pretty well, but I'm not expecting too much. Maybe it'll get better with some action.
ElFacilNoEiyuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
why put James, a person that doesnt like Isekai one bit, reviewing a show that outwardly and proudly admits that its a Isekai/Harem (this by genre and/or description of the source material)

these shows should be rewieved by people that either enjoy them, but can differentiate good from bad, or people neutral to it
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
This show is a male power fantasy but I have never understood why people consider that to be a problem. So far based on the first 2 episodes I am enjoying the story though the animation is a bit weak. The protagonist is not going to struggle much in a world where he is super powerful and his inner monologue is blunt but I think that is intentional. As for the issue of him being sleazy I think it is a bit early to say that since being cunning and practical is not the same as being evil. Than again I like the isekai genre so I generally am more optimistic about them.

Because it's the same fantasy over & over again. Namely: I'm a Billy no mates irl & women scare/avoid me, but in [insert alternate reality here] I can swing my dick like a baseball bat & that brings all the girls to the yard - preferably girls too young &/or innocent to know better.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I would like reviews to be done by people who enjoy the kind of show they are watching or at least are neutral towards it. It's as if this guy is tired of the Isekai and doesn't watch them for fun but always expecting a masterpiece. :/ ... Anyway, the show has its flaws but it's been fun so far.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
As someone who likes Isekai, or more generally the idea of it, this was the worst of slogs.

I miss the days of Re:Zero, Konosuba, and Youjo Senki.

Heck, even SAO would be a little preferable at this point.
athimmel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Why do I feel like I'm watching a sequel to "In Another World With My Smartphone"?

Let's see ... protagonist with extra powers (smartphone vs. level up)? Check.
Harem of young women? Check.
Taking to his new situation like a duck to water? Check.
Boring plot with no meat? Check and mate.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
#872829 wrote:
why put James, a person that doesnt like Isekai one bit, reviewing a show that outwardly and proudly admits that its a Isekai/Harem (this by genre and/or description of the source material)

these shows should be rewieved by people that either enjoy them, but can differentiate good from bad, or people neutral to it

Some of us enjoy watching show get destroyed. Twisted Evil

At the same time these shows are so by the number that there's just not much to say you can only write "the hero show up, pulled some OP power out of his ass to save everyone and all the girl fawn over him and picker amongst themselves about who would get the D" so many time.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:
I would like reviews to be done by people who enjoy the kind of show they are watching or at least are neutral towards it. It's as if this guy is tired of the Isekai and doesn't watch them for fun but always expecting a masterpiece. :/ ... Anyway, the show has its flaws but it's been fun so far.

So normally we make every effort to do this. With rare exception (stuff like Hand Shakers or King's Game where it seems like there's no sincere audience for the show but they follow it anyway out of morbid curiosity), we always assign shows to people who genuinely enjoy them or are at least optimistic.

Unfortunately, none of our reviewers felt positively about Death March, so the chips just had to fall where they may. I'm sure James will give credit where it's due if the show improves or changes things up at all, but it sure hasn't yet.
ElFacilNoEiyuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
#872829 wrote:

Some of us enjoy watching show get destroyed. Twisted Evil

At the same time these shows are so by the number that there's just not much to say you can only write "the hero show up, pulled some OP power out of his ass to save everyone and all the girl fawn over him and picker amongst themselves about who would get the D" so many time.

not really, but i get what youre coming from, as a spoiler, Satoo doesnt give 2 craps about "his" girls, but the 2 first episodes can surely give that impression, that's why i said James should review this, its clear that he is quick to jump and hate on the isekai genre, while its oversaturated, we still get amazing isekai novels/anime from time to time

also, didn't the description of this show was something like "enjoy this relaxing journey of fantasy and harem"?

idk why would you put a person that blatantly hate at that type of show reviewing it? at least to me, it doesnt make sense
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
#872829 wrote:

I found his review to be pretty damn fair.He's not going into this with having half-knowledge of the source material,just judging the show on it's own merits,not seeing any axe grinding.

Having a 29 year old musing about banging a 13 year old,her mother,oh and the 17 year old is creepy.
Even if it is written for a Japanese audience,I think its just too creepy...reminds of why I never finished the first volume.

Unless this turns into a self-parody (and I know it does not)...
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
#872829 wrote:

I found his review to be pretty damn fair.He's not going into this with having half-knowledge of the source material,just judging the show on it's own merits,not seeing any axe grinding.

Having a 29 year old musing about banging a 13 year old,her mother,oh and the 17 year old is creepy.
Even if it is written for a Japanese audience,I think its just too creepy...reminds of why I never finished the first volume.

Gotta say one of the "iffier" elements of todays isekai stories is that the protagonists are getting older, but their female companions/conquests stay the same age (ie underage). It's one thing when you can say it's about teenagers, for teenagers. It's another when it's about an adult, for adults who like/never stopped being teenagers.
ElFacilNoEiyuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
#872829 wrote:

Gotta say one of the "iffier" elements of todays isekai stories is that the protagonists are getting older, but their female companions/conquests stay the same age (ie underage). It's one thing when you can say it's about teenagers, for teenagers. It's another when it's about an adult, for adults who like/never stopped being teenagers.

its been made constantly clear (although not with Ichiro telling it out loud) that he doesnt like small/young/teen girls one bit, even in the first episode we get 2 instances where he "admits" he likes older woman. and to date Satoo hasn't had any contact with mature woman.
if youre talking about some readers having fantasies about the small girls, thats a whole other topic
and by the way, im not defending Death March exactly, the show/LN has several problems, even more if you despise the isekai and harem genre, because those are its general genres
but you cant review something that just isnt made for you
the show/LN is very open when admitting its target audience is people that like the isekai genre, the harem genre and RPGs

its better to leave it "unreviewed" if no one is willing to give this a chance fair and square
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
I feel like the review's characterization of him as an entitled asshole taking advantage of people is a bit much, he's just blunt in his thoughts but doesn't have any other meaning behind them.
Agreed, it is his inner monologue and he is polite when he talks to people.

#872829 wrote:
I get that the people who dislike the isekai genre get a kick out of the negative reviews but at times it is a bit much.

Lemonchest wrote:
Because it's the same fantasy over & over again.
The benefit of the doubt is important when reviewing a show. If you come in with negative assumptions than even inner monologues can make the protagonist look problematic. To me it looks like he has been polite to everyone he has talked with and the only thing he is guilty of is thought crime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18