• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hajime no Ippo's Protagonist Shocks Fans With Announcement in Latest Chapter

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
So it's like Ashita no Joe's situation but reversed?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Does this really mean he retires before the anticipated matches? Because without context it doesn't seem like Ippo made a very specific announcement.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
So...that’s the end of the series?

The series is over? 1200+ chapters and it ends with him pulling a Daniel Bryan and retiring for his health?

Talk about unsatisfactory.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

The series is over? 1200+ chapters and it ends with him pulling a Daniel Bryan and retiring for his health?

What else would he do at this point? Go out in the ring a la The Wrestler?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
You build up a fight between the main character and the invincible Mexican champion for a literal decade, not to mention his rival, a reader expects a payoff. This is the literary equivalent of a fart.

It cannot be understated just how long this series has run. It debuted in 1992!
OtakunX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Well, huge difference was Daniel Bryan was forced to retire by WWE. WWE doctors refuse to clear him to wrestle despite doctors outside of the WWE have cleared him This seems to be Ippo's choice based on information given to him while Daniel Bryan was forced to due to being too over with the crowd and too high a risk factor for them. Bryan has already stated if the WWE wont let him wrestle that he will leave once his contract is up to wrestle somewhere else.

Last edited by OtakunX on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkaRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm so pissed at George Morikawa

He can Go slap himself hard with a bean steel Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I felt like I was been throw into the face a middle finger and been asked to shut up, that's betreyal/treason, as a fan I'm felt dirty to been decieved and played like that.

Where are my Ichirō Miyata vs Makunouchi Ippo let along Ippo being world champ ! George Morikawa really ???? I so wish that there is Japanese fan backlash against George for this idea. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
So Ippo "plans" to retire. It's not like he's retiring right away. Maybe he'll retire after the long awaited match. It could be before though. . .

Seeing that Morikawa had to take a hiatus for health though, was he fully recovered after? Or was it related to something chronic? Most are very aware with how physically taxing (and undoubtedly, mentally) being a manga-ka is.

I don't blame him if he's trying to wrap up. One's health comes first. It'd be better if he could give the series proper closure instead of something happening to him. Not the exact same, but I wouldn't want another ItaKiss situation.
drscorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
So Ippo "plans" to retire. It's not like he's retiring right away. Maybe he'll retire after the long awaited match. It could be before though. . .

I cant see any matches coming...

spoiler[If you are reading the current manga, I can only imagine Ippo retiring right away. Ippo's condition has been deteriorating for some time and the last fight pretty much clinched it. There is no way Ippo will be fighting Miyata or Ricardo with how the current story is.]
RKO_Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
For anyone reading the manga this isn't a surprise, for the last few months the atmosphere of the manga was quite dreadful. Ippos last match pretty much confirmed he's Punch drunk and everyone who saw it knows it. Also ippo already made the promise to retire if he lost and well, he's retiring. What i really hated was that Morikawa gave us some moments of hope in the last match, and kept teasing us with a comeback. Followed by Ippo shitting the bed. His opponent wasn't even someone significant, it was a no name nobody that was supposed to get destroyed in one round. Morikawa made it more painful than it needed to be, I actually stopped reading half way through the last match. And although I know it was painful for him too, he could have done better. A comeback match against Miyata should have been the way to retire, fans would have accepted that and the story could have had a clean ending that at the very least resolves the rivalry between those too. But no, the realistic approach won out, and many fans are pissed. I stopped caring a long time ago.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like there was a dose of reality thrown into this story, and now everyone is losing their minds. I don't follow the story, so my view is a bit skewed, but it sounds like a fairly common case; a fighter who persevered through grit and determination, but ran headlong into the fact that eventually, getting your head routinely bashed in has consequences. Anyone who has seen a fighter that's punch drunk knows that they can have flashes of seeming normalcy, but at the end of the day is toast if they can't end it right away. If Ippo lost to a "nobody" in his last fight, he's done. It's not like losing your "mojo" or being off your game - you can't train your way past being punch drunk, unless you rely on anime/manga magic. It seems like Morikawa was laying the groundwork for this twist for a lone time. It's a sour reality, but it would likely be best that he stick through it now that he's introduced this bit or reality... unless the end of the manga is supposed to be Ippo dead or in some sort of vegetative state.
Joa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call this "shocking". Ippo said he would retire if he lost another match, and his potential brain damage has been part of the plot for like 200 chapters, so it's not like this came out of nowhere.
stowrag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there a difference between announcing a character's retirement and announcing the series is ending?

I actually don't read the manga since as near as I can tell it was never officially localized, but I love the anime.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
I felt like I was been throw into the face a middle finger and been asked to shut up, that's betreyal/treason, as a fan I'm felt dirty to been decieved and played like that.

What in the world makes you think that a story has an obligation to you in any way?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Morikawa better come up with a damn good excuse for this thematically otherwise there's another long-running series damaged by trying to embrace "realism."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3