• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I do so love Onoda's mother ("We're being raided by Onoda's mother!" Very Happy). I was absurdly pleased that her hats went over well with Hakone's riders.

And he got a nickname. Alas, it was not animal or bug related. I could almost feel his disappointment that Shinkai's was. No fair!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote

Ah, the (not-so) triumphant return of "Hime Hime"! It's not as much fun when they don't know the tune and just shout it. But still fun. I was so hoping Onoda would start singing to freak out Shinkai. I was also half expecting the rest of the pack to break into song once they saw its effects. It would not surprise me if that was still in the wings.

"There's a star between 'Love' and 'Hime.' Apparently that's important. The star spins during the opening song. And it grows larger and shrinks too. ...You can ask me what it's good for, but I can only tell you that I don't know." Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote

Okay, I think they crossed a line with this one. Izumida episodes are always weird with his pec obsession (despite his "abu" chants), and the creepy masseur guy is always creepy, but I have to think that outright sexual assault by grabbing Izumida by the boob must surely be against the rules. Shocked

And then a cat glomming on to his chest in the aftercredits. smh

All that aside, despite how over-the-top Midousuji is, I still would like to see him take a day just once, even if he can't be allowed to win the whole race. I don't really enjoy seeing him crushed in the last millimeter over and over again, no matter how much of a jerk he is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

Well, thank god we're finally done with the muscle maniacs and body horror and can get back to Sohoku regrouping. The tag was great - the evil look on Aoyagi's face when he almost spilled the beans about "Hime Hime" was priceless. This is finally feeling kinda like old times now.

Kaburagi: I can hear the fans saying we're fast, but this is normal, right? I'm an all-rounder, not a sprinter.

Aoyagi: ... Whatever you say, kid. Yep, perfectly normal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

Woo boy, we advanced a whole 50 meters this episode! They better slow down!

I guess most of next episode will be some backstory for Imaizumi. But damn, if Midousuji's backstory doesn't kill me every time. He was such a cute, sweet kid. Too bad he turned into such a literal monster. Apparently he's got a new word (morphokya/phokya) even the spectators can't translate, but it sounds an awful lot like f*** yeah! Laughing

I wonder if they've already committed to another cour to finish this Interhigh or what, because they sure aren't going to get through the third day in 2 or 4 episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote

Whadaya know, they actually did finish the second day! spoiler[I'm actually glad Midousuji won, just this once. And his speech was just priceless. Props to his seiyuu for selling it so well.]

The spectators sure are a fickle bunch. They're swayed by the slightest thing. And they really outdid themselves on the wtf scale with Midousuji sprouting tiny hands all over his body. Laughing

I still can't get over how tall Midousuji is. He doesn't usually seem more than just gangly, but when he's standing next to others, he's like Slenderman or something (even though he's only 6'1"). Ashikiba has 6 1/2 inches on him, but somehow even he doesn't seem as tall as Midousuji. Weird.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote

Ahh, now that's the kind of episode that makes me love this series still (despite how idiotic a lot of this season was). I kept hoping they'd notice that Onoda kept up with them the whole time, even though he wasn't racing. Plus they were fresh, and he'd just run a day's race. Kid's got nothing to feel inferior about, if he only knew.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:00 am Reply with quote
Season 5 Limit Break

Day 3 of the Inter High, and for some reason, this feels more like the old stuff so far. Midousuji is of course up to his old tricks, but hasn't morphed out yet. Can't say the same for Aoyagi, who's doing his Fat Gum impersonation again (both even have the yellow suit motif).

Watching this in tandem with Blue Lock, the anti-teamwork series, is a lot of fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:01 am Reply with quote
Ep 4

Well that was a heartwarming backstory for Aoyagi and Junta. Of course Aoyagi by all rights would basically end his career, at least his high school one, by overtaxing his injured leg, but I'm sure he'll be fine when all is said and done.

I really miss the after-credits vignettes. Those were always my favorite parts. Blue Lock has taken them up, but they're not very funny.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5

RIP Aoyagi, the first to fall (not counting Midousuji's pawns). You fought the good fight. Looks like Kaburagi is next on the chopping block. Then the climbers will take over, I guess setting up the finish for Imaizumi?

It was pretty funny how Kaburagi paused to thank everyone before he took off, since he'd be out of breath later. Then he just keeps yammering on the whole time he's sprinting. But I think I'll be a little glad when Kabu drops, because I have a real hard time telling him apart from Naruko, unless they're talking. Their hair color needs to be a tad more different.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
Ep 9

Aw, Ashikiba was such a cutie in middle school. One thing Yowapeda does great at is backstory time. I hadn't realized quite what good friends he and Junta were back in the day. That was really nice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:52 am Reply with quote
Limit Break finale

I don't know why it still surprises me how they can drag out the last km over like 5 episodes, but they threw in some nice backstories, so I'll allow it. Poor Onoda's mom, taking 8000 pictures of the pavement with her "smooth" phone.

I'm kinda left wondering what happened to Midousuji. I guess he really did turn to soccer after sneaking out of the med tent....

Anyway, I enjoyed spending another Inter High with the boyz, and if they decide to do Onoda's third year, I'll be there for it. If not, that's fine with me too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 30 of 30