• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory Anime Listed With 12 Episodes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Well I guess that raises a lot of questions now. Why did it take a 6 month delay for 12 episodes?

Also they better not be trying to adapt all the remainder of the series in just 12 episodes (THATS INSANE)?

I honestly wonder why they didn't try to go for a 2 course series
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
It would be unfortunate if that's all that there are plans for.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Blind hope - a second Cour will be announced with a different subtitle...then again I don't know anything about the remainder of the source material, so could it be released as 2 different series?

-Marc.
sweaf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
So what's for the delay then? It's not enough. We need more.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I would be surprised if it was not for 2/3 of the previous shows being single cour. It seems that the original was only 2 cours due to having to introduce the story and have a climax to one of the story arcs, alongside some filler.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... Maybe another cour could be announced at a later date, perhaps under a different subtitle? I truly doubt that Shoji Gatoh would try to cram the remaining source material into this many episodes. The last 2 parts were single cour as well, so maybe they’re doing the same here for consistency reasons?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Uh, they can't be trying to adapt the rest in 12 episodes... right? I'm really curious what their plan is. It sounds like they are skipping volume 6 and covering that with a drama cd so will they cover 7,8, and 9? There have been series that have done 2 episodes per volume before which absolutely terrifies me.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Hm... well, my expectations nosedived. That’s too short for a proper adaptation (same thing happened w/ Gundam The Origin). Here’s hoping there’ll be additional series ala the (relatively) recent Slayers sequels. Or maybe some long OVAs or movies.

12 episodes is simply nowhere near long enough to adapt the remaining novels, especially if they’re adapting DVMC (which seems likely given the promo art featuring a cruise ship). If they intended to fit the remaining story into a smaller space, I would think DVMC would be the first thing cut.

That said, this *could* be a smart move. The latter FMP books are certainly darker and more serious than the earlier ones, but DVMC is not—ending aside, it’s tonally more similar to the earlier books. They could very well be making Invisible Victory more like FMP (especially if they add in material from the garden stories, like fumoffu) to make a blended comedy/action series, with a sequel series focusing exclusively on the serious bits (ala TSR).

But maybe I’m being too optimistic here. We’ve had a lot of “revival” projects lately (Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball, Slayers, Lupin, that Osamu Tezuka robot one whose name I forget, and others) but the only one to really blow me away was Space Battleship Yamato 2199. The others all had problems in conception or execution that weighed them down.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
They’re not adapating all the novels in 12. We already know what the plot summaries are for six episodes. They’re doing a pace of 4 episodes per novel which goes up to Make My Day.

It’s split cour. They’ve announced they’re adapting all the remaining novels so a separate cour will cover the remaining.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
They’re not adapating all the novels in 12. We already know what the plot summaries are for six episodes. They’re doing a pace of 4 episodes per novel which goes up to Make My Day.

It’s split cour. They’ve announced they’re adapting all the remaining novels so a separate cour will cover the remaining.

Do you have a link to where this is confirmed because I haven’t seen this announced prior to today and I’m pretty sure we would like to know what the definite plan is for the rest of the FMP! anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Like others here, I hope there is more anime content coming. I was convinced this season was going to be 2 cours long.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Really 12 episodes what the heck can they do with 12 episodes? are they ready to get it over with that fast already?
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

Do you have a link to where this is confirmed because I haven’t seen this announced prior to today and I’m pretty sure we would like to know what the definite plan is for the rest of the FMP! anime.

I don't think I'm allowed to post scans but there was a mecha magazine released in the last couple of weeks that had a table listing what seasons of FMP covered which novels and IV was attached to all of the remaining novels.

As to the episode pace, episode 5 is Welcome to the Jungle and is the beginning of Burning One Man Force. Episodes 1-4 cover Continuing on My Own. There are supposedly episode summaries out for 5-8 but I couldn't see a source or verify it.

Episode 1-4 Staff:
https://twitter.com/fullmeta_iv/status/952089162018037760

Episode 5-7 Staff:
https://twitter.com/lengquanyeyue/status/954339949213507589
dtp98

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

I don't think I'm allowed to post scans but there was a mecha magazine released in the last couple of weeks that had a table listing what seasons of FMP covered which novels and IV was attached to all of the remaining novels.

As to the episode pace, episode 5 is Welcome to the Jungle and is the beginning of Burning One Man Force. Episodes 1-4 cover Continuing on My Own. There are supposedly episode summaries out for 5-8 but I couldn't see a source or verify it.

Episode 1-4 Staff:
https://twitter.com/fullmeta_iv/status/952089162018037760

Episode 5-7 Staff:
https://twitter.com/lengquanyeyue/status/954339949213507589

Looking over those staff lists, and now I know why we had those delays! Looks like the first SIX episodes are all done at XEBEC proper (Non-Outsourced), which is pretty impressive!
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
davonepresley1998 wrote:

Looking over those staff lists, and now I know why we had those delays! Looks like the first SIX episodes are all done at XEBEC proper (Non-Outsourced), which is pretty impressive!

Episode 7 is being done by the Haikyuu/Ballroom team at IG. They also announced some more staff such as Masayuki (Eva Assistant Director), Katayama (Big O Director), and Masami Obari. Those don't have announced positions yet but likely doing storyboarding.

Also it seems the first four episodes were done being animated in late February. The fourth possibly had an insanely long production time (5+ months).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3