• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukuru Magazine: Rumiko Takahashi Will Launch New Work 'Soon'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
My theories as to what will happen in this new series:

-The main guy is a hot-headed tool.
-The main girl is incredibly short-tempered and will kick the main guy's ass for every minor misunderstanding.
-Their "romance" will consist of them hating each other until the final chapter, and years of couple's counseling, domestic abuse charges, and using their child to get back at each other after the custody battle will ensue.
-The character personalities/designs will be recycled from "Ranma 1/2."
-Kappei Yamaguchi will be in the anime adaptation.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This oughta be interesting. I’m kinda hoping for another Inuyashiki-type series, just to see Takahashi break from her mold again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Very curious about what this will be. I don't read much manga, but I like the anime that her mangas turn into.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Takahashi has said in the past that she would like to do a serious series someday, so maybe this will be it. She's such an icon now that she can pretty much do anything she wanted and it would still sell.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

-The main girl is incredibly short-tempered and will kick the main guy's ass for every minor misunderstanding.
-Their "romance" will consist of them hating each other until the final chapter, and years of couple's counseling, domestic abuse charges, and using their child to get back at each other after the custody battle will ensue.

Ony the Kappei Yamaguchi part fits with Rinne. But still made me laugh
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

She’s practically the Akira Toriyama of unoriginal series when it comes to rom-coms. Also RIN-NE was a disaster.
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

That was so unfunny just like every single one of Takahashi’s series since they try to sound original, but to no success. It’s stupid.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Mhmm, I'm curious if Tsukuru Magazine is a part of Shogakukan... Question

Takahashi-sensei has been a part of Sunday since her earliest works so I'm gonna be very pleased if someone will asnwer my query. Thanks in advance!
O-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, by and large, this doesn't seem like a big deal.
What made her titles known was their impact the anime and manga versions had on both the Eastern and Western communities:

Urusei Yatsura- the manga pioneered a the high school comedy Shonen genre. The anime was an outlet for a lot of legendary anime directors, writers and animators who went on to leave huge contributions to anime at large.

Maison Ikkoku- Her most compact work, had a grounded story and the most consistent anime. The goto for anime fans wanting a realistic love story.

Ranma 1/2- First dubbed long running TV series in America. Pretty much the gateway anime before Sailor Moon, DBZ and Pokemon.

Inuyasha- Mixed several of her previous genre's (this is pretty much Mermaid's Saga, Fire Tripper meets Ranma 1/2). Being a regular on adult swim (and later Toonami) gave this series the MOST mainstream exposure she has ever received putting this show on the same status as Naruto and Dragonball.

Rinne-I got nothing...

Overall I still go back and read/watch her more popular stuff but RINNE has largely been background noise to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glass Mask

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
Honestly, by and large, this doesn't seem like a big deal.
What made her titles known was their impact the anime and manga versions had on both the Eastern and Western communities:

Urusei Yatsura- the manga pioneered a the high school comedy Shonen genre. The anime was an outlet for a lot of legendary anime directors, writers and animators who went on to leave huge contributions to anime at large.

Maison Ikkoku- Her most compact work, had a grounded story and the most consistent anime. The goto for anime fans wanting a realistic love story.

Ranma 1/2- First dubbed long running TV series in America. Pretty much the gateway anime before Sailor Moon, DBZ and Pokemon.

Inuyasha- Mixed several of her previous genre's (this is pretty much Mermaid's Saga, Fire Tripper meets Ranma 1/2). Being a regular on adult swim (and later Toonami) gave this series the MOST mainstream exposure she has ever received putting this show on the same status as Naruto and Dragonball.

Rinne-I got nothing...

Overall I still go back and read/watch her more popular stuff but RINNE has largely been background noise to me.

Ranma 1/2 was also the first harem anime/manga. Anyway, Takahashi-sensei has been around for 40 years now and is safe to say she is one of the most prolific mangakas in history.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Been waiting for her new work. Rinne was bad. Now that that is out of her system I hope for something amazing.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I have to admit, this pretty much mirrors my own thinking and it is funny in a sad way.
I'm sure that there are some long-time Japanese anime/manga fans who in their less guarded moments (when they're NOT on the "you will behave or be shamed" clock) who would agree with those sentiments, too!

There's nothing new. Huge pass. I saw nothing in Rinne and Inu Yasha that really made me care.

Today, I couldn't get into Rumiko Takahashi. Her stuff really was made for Japanese children which means it appeals to Westerners up to their early 20's but once you hit the big 3-0 or look back 10 years later man does it hit you this stuff wasn't THAT good!

There's not much character development for the most part in the longer series she does. It's "fast food" comics and anime with a huge reset buttons like an old videogame console. It's no wonder people outgrow Takahashi!

I'll say this for Takahashi --
I think like Steven King (ironically) her best works are her shorter series, the standalones, or things that don't have more than 2-3 story arcs worth. Not the stuff that runs years and years.

Rumik World and Mermaid Forest has some of her best work.

She definitely hit her peak years back but what a remarkable career at nearly the 40-year mark now!
She's still a known quantity and appreciated by many fans regardless of her fiercest critics.
valoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
I'm literally hard right now. Rinne was great and I'm eagerly looking forward to this!
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
So easy to spot people who haven't read Maison Ikkoku, Mermaid Saga and One Pound Gospel. Maison Ikkoku is still one of the best rom coms series ever made.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
So easy to spot people who haven't read Maison Ikkoku, Mermaid Saga and One Pound Gospel. Maison Ikkoku is still one of the best rom coms series ever made.

And people complaining that she does the same stuff over and over even though much of her work was very original & pioneering for the time.

She’s been writing manga for how many years now? Of course her stuff is going to be a bit repetitive. It happens with all long term creators.

And yeah Maison Ikkoku is still one of the greatest romantic comedies!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2