• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Akiba's Trip

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
James takes a look at Gainax's cartoonish clothes-stripping comedy

Quote:
Studio Gonzo's animation starts off strong

I'm not saying I hope someone gets fired for that blunder, but it's still annoyingly obvious.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the anime takes the general idea of the game (stripping the clothes off supernatural creatures in order to expose and destroy them)

Even though it's a glaring metaphor for the current Japanese wish to "destroy" Akihabara otaku by dragging them out of their apartment lairs into the outdoors, where sunlight will disintegrate them... Rolling Eyes
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I remember liking what i saw of Akiba's Trip more than i expected. Not sure i'll go back and finish it (i have a MASSIVE backlog), but it was enjoyable enough.

On those shelf photos; that is both an awesome collection, and a solemn warning of what mine might look like if i don't exercise more self control in what i buy Anime hyper
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Quote:
James takes a look at Gainax's cartoonish clothes-stripping comedy

Quote:
Studio Gonzo's animation starts off strong

I'm not saying I hope someone gets fired for that blunder, but it's still annoyingly obvious.

Whoops, I'll fix that right away. There's kind of a lot going on right now.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I remember liking what i saw of Akiba's Trip more than i expected. Not sure i'll go back and finish it (i have a MASSIVE backlog), but it was enjoyable enough.

It's certainly a one & done type of show, but not a bad one. I like that it was more about how cool the characters thought Akihabara was & not how cool they thought they were for knowing about it - which is how a lot of today's geek/otaku anime feel.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
AKIBA'S'TRIP is one of those strange few shows I stopped watching with only one or two episodes left. I just couldn't be bothered to finish it. So it sits in the CR queue, occasionally taunting me- "Don't you want to finish me?"... and I usually think... "Do I?..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I put this series in the same category of shows like Oh! Edo Rocket: Kind of goofy, campy dub, brightly colored, somehow addictive rock candy. I'll sandwich this one with a different tear-jerker title and it keeps me from feeling down during the latter.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The Yu-Gi-Oh! parody episode of Akiba's Trip was so on-point with how ridiculous real-life tournaments are of that game. It probably gave me one of the biggest laughs of 2017.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
While it isn't my favorite work of Ikehata's - that would be last year's Magical Circle Guru-Guru - it was better than initially expected and was the work that first piqued my interest in the director.

Just noticed that he is directing Space Battleship Tiramisu, which doesn't surprise me now that I think about it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
My impression of Akiba's Trip was that it was overwhelmingly safe and generic. You could've told me it came out a decade before and I wouldn't have known any better. The fanservice was risque but not too risque, the story was afraid to take any real risks, every otaku type got a girl/waifu, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
My impression of Akiba's Trip was that it was overwhelmingly safe and generic. You could've told me it came out a decade before and I wouldn't have known any better. The fanservice was risque but not too risque, the story was afraid to take any real risks, every otaku type got a girl/waifu, etc.

Like the two Persona 4 anime (especially the latter), it very, very, very, very much requires a certain loyalty/familiarity from playing the game first.
There's not really much to the story without the gamer-fan tie-in.

(And it's a pretty good game, actually, sort of a Persona 4-1/2, for those that liked the P5 appeal of being one of a band of oddball teens to run around a real open-world Tokyo, but still with the tongue-in-cheek goofiness of, y'know, pantsing your enemies.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
It's certainly a one & done type of show, but not a bad one...
I'm with you on that, I laughed and liked it a lot, but not $50 worth. I really haven't missed it.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
Akiba's Trip falls into this weird place for me where I generally enjoyed watching through it but it has had absolutely no staying power with me.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
That is a very nice Manga collection :3

I love all those US-omnibus editions, they look SO great on shelves.

Acca is out! I have to get it. Usually, I don't double-dip on Manga/Anime, but I loved it just so very much.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Akiba's Trip? Popotan meets Three's Company. Sounds like fun. Club Mayonnaise? As George Carlin quipped, you don't have to be Fellini to figure that one out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2