• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kiznaiver Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
Chidori getting neatly paired away with Tenya out of nowhere with a bow on top made me groan, but if you didn't cry when Kacchon did you have no soul.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
100% agree that if there’s something that Kiznaiver has, its style. It’s character designs are why I watched the anime twice, first subbed and then when the dub came out. I was very impressed with the dub- really strong quality even though it had VAs I’ve never heard before. I think it was dubbed in Canada?

I would’ve personally preferred if they stuck with the episodic style so we could have a look at each of the characters more in-depth. That, and it was hard for me to enjoy the last few episodes because I didn’t really like Noriko. You have to really sympathize with her in order for anything to hit, and sadly it didn’t work with me.

Maybe the anime would’ve benefited with more episodes? Maybe not a full two-cour, but even an extra 2-3 episodes for pacing. Especially to develop that love triangle that was supposed to be so messy it broke the group. Am I the only one who didn’t see Nico’s crush on Tenga and his for Chidori at all?

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
Considering who they got for the dub (Zero and Cinnamon from Mega Man X among others), I'd like to get this.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I was not big on the story, but the characters weren't to bad, and the shows style, tone and animation were great. https://sakugabooru.com/data/824c0cdbf444deffd971ae741fbc7122.mp4

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was very impressed with the dub- really strong quality even though it had VAs I’ve never heard before. I think it was dubbed in Canada?

Yes, they're all from Canada. The actors mostly worked on shows such as Cardfight Vanguard. I do have to admit, I'm kinda surprised they managed to get Canadian actors this time instead of Americans, especially since Canadian anime dubs have become much more scarce since the late 2000s.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Yes, they're all from Canada. The actors mostly worked on shows such as Cardfight Vanguard. I do have to admit, I'm kinda surprised they managed to get Canadian actors this time instead of Americans, especially since Canadian anime dubs have become much more scarce since the late 2000s.

Thanks! I’m kinda surprised too, as I know Canadian anime dubs these days tend to be more of the kid-orientated game ones. I remember the Gintama dub was also outsourced to Canada and it’s also pretty strong. Maybe with Crunchyroll taking their chances with dubbing, they have more of the finances to take a risk with outsourcing to Canada?
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Thanks! I’m kinda surprised too, as I know Canadian anime dubs these days tend to be more of the kid-orientated game ones. I remember the Gintama dub was also outsourced to Canada and it’s also pretty strong. Maybe with Crunchyroll taking their chances with dubbing, they have more of the finances to take a risk with outsourcing to Canada?

That would be awesome because more often than not, Canadian dubs seem to be really strong, and it can only benefit the anime dubbing scene as it gives more talent a chance to shine + less hearing the same American actors over and over again.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much left for Crunchyroll to send to Ocean. Most of their current titles get gobbled by Funimation for simuldubs and the rest of the pre-FuniRoll shows have been split between Funi and LA studios.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1