• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Pilot - Hisone and Masotan Anime Listed on Netflix

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a f_cking lot, Netflix! Rolling Eyes
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
They better not cheap out the dub on this like with AICO.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I know they didn't do this for Violet Evergarden in the US, but I hope more anime ends up being released on Netflix weekly in as many territories as possible - this was one show I was hoping to watch weekly.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope they get it out as quickly as Violet Evergarden (should have been a simulcast worldwide, Netflix US has no excuse), Knights of Sidonia, and Ajin.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
We've had Netflix since 2007, but I'd drop it in a heartbeat if my wife & kids didn't use it. In any event I'm not using them for Anime, I'll wait until someone else licenses it for physical release.

Mark Gosdin
MsVitchDa2nd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
guess gotta go to that straw hat route and become the pirate king again
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to start watching this sooner as opposed to later, but oh well.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not surprised. I thought Netflix might get this. It sucks, but at least now I have one less show that I want to watch this season.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I mean did everyone forget Bones has a deal with Netflix or something? Of course it's going on be there.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I mean did everyone forget Bones has a deal with Netflix or something? Of course it's going on be there.
The deal with Bones, Wit Studio, and Production I.G. isn’t for everything. One example is the recently announced Vinland Saga anime by Wit Studio will be exclusively streaming on Amazon Prime worldwide.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's not an exclusive deal, Netflix is just "co-producing" anime with Bones. And this doesn't seem to be the case here, or else it would have been announced as an "Netflix Exclusive" right away (it's airing on TV in Japan). Hero Academia isn't on Netflix and Mob Psycho S2 probably won't be either. And Carol & Tuesday looks like a potential Amazon candidate due to the connection to Fuji / the new noitaminA-like programming block.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
And yet here we are and it's now a Netflix exclusive. So whether it was originally intended to be for Netflix or not, it's obvious Bones wants to have more of their content to be on Netflix now. I mean it's frustrating having to wait but I'm just not shocked about this development at all.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And yet here we are and it's now a Netflix exclusive. So whether it was originally intended to be for Netflix or not, it's obvious Bones wants to have more of their content to be on Netflix now. I mean it's frustrating having to wait but I'm just not shocked about this development at all.

It's not exclusive, though. Not in Japan, anyway.
http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/4885/time
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Well this is unfortunate. I had been wondering where it had ended up earlier today, and saw that Netflix had it in Japan. My Thursday's are looking lighter than I expected. At least we have a placeholder.

Blackiris_ wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's not exclusive, though. Not in Japan, anyway.
http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/4885/time

Well it is Netflix exclusive for online streaming in Japan, per the official website. It is being broadcast on TV as well.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks. This was one of my most anticipated new series and I was really excited to follow it after I saw the premiere at Anime Boston. Guess we get to wait til who knows when for Netflix to deign to let us see this along with Last Hope

As for the discussion of Bones' relationship with Netflix, this seems in line with their past licensing deals like Kakegurui, Fate/Apocrypha, and the like where they came fairly late into the game to purchase streaming rights rather than grabbing exclusive distribution rights like they did with Devilman Crybaby or AICO. So no, this doesn't mean any and every show made by Bones/Wit/IG will end up on Netflix. That said, a pre-existing business relationship may make it more likely that shows where Bones is on the production committee (read: original series like this, not adaptations) may go to Netflix more often now. It's as much about who you know as it is how much money you have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3