• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Capcom Registers Trademarks for Onimusha in Several Countries Outside Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
A revival for this series is long overdue. Come on, Capcom!
methedemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:

100%

I have such fond memories of playing Onimusha on PS2 looong ago
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
The Onimusha and Devil May Cry were always was in my opinion the perfect action-rpg blend long before the genre became common as muck.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:

It's not their fault no one liked Dawn Of Dreams.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
it will likely be a remaster of the first 4 games in the series. can't say i will be upset about that. if they sell well, it will greenlit a proper sequel. very, very, very doubtful it will be a new sequel out of the gate considering the series has been dormant for a good 12 years and many people aren't even familiar with the ip.
chronos02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
it will likely be a remaster of the first 4 games in the series. can't say i will be upset about that. if they sell well, it will greenlit a proper sequel. very, very, very doubtful it will be a new sequel out of the gate considering the series has been dormant for a good 12 years and many people aren't even familiar with the ip.

A remaster is very, very unlikely. Dawn of Dreams could be remastered due to it being full 3D, but the first three games are be impossible to remaster, understanding remaster as making the output a minimum of 1080p, with an internal resolution of 1080p, cleaned up textures, reworked camera to get 16:9 aspect ratio, and renewed controls so that the game can be played using modern pads (and getting rid of the D-Pad as the only way to control the character). This is mostly due to the simple fact that Onimusha 1, 2 and 3 use pre-rendered images as the background, and there are barely any 3D models present. Even if they cleaned up the current renders, the images are of such a low quality that even when using the component cable to play on the PS2 made the game look quite terrible, and as any image professional should know, scaling an image has its limits, even when using smart algorythms to push these limits, so images that were barely 360p in texel density on the screen would need to get rescaled to at least 900p, and that's more than 6 times the original resolution, causing the resulting image to be a blur, which would not even meet quality standards for a bad remaster such as the Silent Hill HD collection disaster.

The only solution to this would be to remake every single render in high resolution, and that being the case, it'd be simpler to use the models to make actual 3D backgrounds instead of pre-rendered images. That is, if they still have those models.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I like to think that another problem with remastering these games is the problem of using real actors in the games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1