• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Legendary Anime Screenwriter Mari Okada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
She did great work on The Lost Village. Keep it up!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm definitely buying her autobiography after having read this. Very Happy
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
When asked about my personal favorite shows that Mari Okada has worked on, I usually come up with about 4-5 titles, and it's a real testament to her body of work that - even though the interview covered so much ground - it didn't even mention any of those shows. Laughing I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of the people who proclaim to dislike Mari Okada's writing actually turned out to like a bunch of stuff that they had no idea she even worked on!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
You know, I think the only Okada anime I've actually watched is The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and people talk less about her influence there than Yamamoto's. Though I saw bits and pieces of Toradora in my college anime club.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Didn't you interview her only last year, I remember something about her autobiography eing mentioned.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
No mention she wrote Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan airing this current season? Smile

That one is slowly shaping up to be one of my Spring favorites ...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Didn't you interview her only last year, I remember something about her autobiography eing mentioned.

Kim previously wrote a piece about Okada's work when the autobiography was first released in Japan: http://4NN.cx/.120417

But it wasn't an interview with Okada herself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
She wrote an enormous amount of stuff. So I have the impression that Anohana was among her weakest shows. My favorite from her is Simoun, by far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice little interview. Can't wait to read her book and see that movie. Outside of Lost Village, I pretty much love everything she's touched.

Jose, ANN says she only did 9 episodes of Simoun.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Nice little interview. Can't wait to read her book and see that movie. Outside of Lost Village, I pretty much love everything she's touched.

Jose, ANN says she only did 9 episodes of Simoun.

According to interviews and commentary tracks, Okada started contributing to the show following the first story arc (which is generally considered to be the least interesting third of the show). She and her mentor Junji Nishimura - who also directed the show - worked very closely together to write the show's final two thirds, and one of the two of them are credited for every episode after that point, aside from the one where the sybilla provide air support for an all-male ground infantry unit.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Well, I'm definitely buying her autobiography after having read this. Very Happy
The same for me in spades! Rarely have I've read an interview that was so engaging. The questions were well thought out and Ms. Okada's responses were so personal and insightful that it was as if I were listening to a casual conversation between good friends. I also get the impression that Ms. Okada has a good command of the English language which if true might help. It is truly rare that an accomplished person tells the real unvarnished story of their path in life (you can tell this is real because she is uncomfortable even now!) and her autobiography just made my "must find and read" list!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
FireChick wrote:
The same for me in spades! Rarely have I've read an interview that was so engaging. The questions were well thought out and Ms. Okada's responses were so personal and insightful that it was as if I were listening to a casual conversation between good friends. I also get the impression that Ms. Okada has a good command of the English language which if true might help. It is truly rare that an accomplished person tells the real unvarnished story of their path in life (you can tell this is real because she is uncomfortable even now!) and her autobiography just made my "must find and read" list!

Kim conducted the interview in Japanese. This is a translation of it.

I should point out though that unlike a lot of interviews, almost nothing at all was cut or changed in it during approvals. It's basically 100% what she said.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
This was a very well-planned, well-written (translated) interview! The questions were engaging and the answers were insightful. Kudos to Kim! I can tell just from this interview that the book must be well-translated too.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
After reading the article with the excerpt and reading this interview, I definitely appreciate the fact that Mari Okada reiterates on the collaborative effort it takes to make an anime and her own appreciation for that.

Looking through her history of work, specifically in anime, there were shows that I liked and there were shows that I disliked, that she worked on however it isn't necessarily her fault that the show didn't work for me. There are multiple reasons why some individuals connect to a particular show and some who do, but ultimately to blame her for the failings of a show or movie when she only sat in the writer's chair, is a bit ridiculous to me.

I specifically mentioned this mainly due to the mention in the excerpt where she saw a post online wishing she would die. The story of that and the response she received from the staff she worked with at that period of time is amazing on both ends of the positive/negative spectrum.

This interview was a treat to read. It feels like she is definitely showing growth and experience that I'm sure she would've struggled with if she was interviewed 10 years ago.
we love lain

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
@SaitoHajinme101

*but ultimately to blame her for the failings of a show or movie when she only sat in the writer's chair, is a bit ridiculous to me.*

I don't see how that it ridiculous. Sure, a large part of the anime community will blame the failings of an anime on whatever prolific name that is attached to it, but that's because a good portion of that populace are either quick to point fingers without doing any research or they don't have the educational background to discern whether it's the writing or directing that is to blame for the underwhelming nature of the show they are consuming. If the show lacks integrity because the writing is not up to snuff and you happen to see this continuous pattern in the writers other works, why would it be ridiculous to blame the writer for the failings of a show that well....sucks because of the writing? For me personally, if i've ever blamed Okada for the reason why i didn't like a show, it's because the writing of the show was weak; who else would i blame for that if that's the inherent problem? If it so happens that her writing elevated the show and its the directing stifling the show from reaching brilliance, then i have no problem pointing fingers at that particular source. I know that there are times where production committees can twists the arms of the creative staff on a show, trust me i know; but when you see a recurring pattern in the person's work, you can't always chock up their flaws to a matter of circumstance. At the end of the day, it all comes down to one's ability to think critically enough to understand what elements are making or breaking a show. If it's the writing; praise or blame the writer. If it's the directing; praise or blame the directing. It doesn't mean you have to disrespect the content creator, but they should be upheld for their flaws. I'm glad Okada wrote this autobiography because it allows anyone who is interested in reading it to understand her better as a literary artist. However, just because I understand her doesn't mean I'm going to go soft on her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2