• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri Shiratori - where?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
She's was, like, everywhere during 90s, and early 00s, and now she's barely present...

What happened?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Most of those classic 90s anime voice artists seem to have largely retired from voice acting in general as the anime industry seems to focus more on newer talents to appeal to younger fans with.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
The industry seems to be moving faster and faster. Seiyû stars of the 90s have stayed in business for a quite a few years (like quite a few of the seiyû godmothers of the 60s generation), but as the first decade of the 20th century came to a close it seemed to me that voice actresses experience a kind of a hype for a few years and then disappear into oblivion, possibly sidelined by the corporations to make space for the next face. Exceptions exist alright, charismatic people like Hirano Aya for example. But take Kuwatani Natsuko. She was largely successfull after the Suzumiya Haruhi Anime, but for these last four or five years her annual number of roles has been declining.

And: I'm saying "voice actresses" on purpose. Men stay in the business for much longer. They are not as hyped as the women (who in their haydays get to do all kinds of stuff in terms of anime byproducts, merchandise, CDs, public appearances and so on), don't stand in the lime lights as much, but have steadier jobs.
Maybe not as many guys apply for the seiyû academies? I'd sure like to know, but I cannot find gender statistics concerning that topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
According to this article (possible NSFW ads), the industry has moved towards replacing veteran voice actors with younger and cheaper talent. And as 42317 points out, younger voice actresses are much more marketable to otaku in terms of idol-like activities. (I often joke on "[VA] gets married" threads that actresses should be safe from otaku "violation of purity" wrath if they've reached their mid-30s or beyond.) Even many of the 00s stars like Ayako Kawasumi, Mamiko Noto, Rie Kugimiya, and Yui Horie have seen their roles decrease in number, or shift towards more mother/big-sister/teacher characters than teenage heroines.

Either that, or older actresses transition into roles on long-running kids' shows, as opposed to otaku titles. At least they brought Shiratori back to play Sayo Aisaka in UQ Holder!.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I would also assume that some of them marry and have kids and are therefore no longer "pure" and marketable in Japanese society so they don't get any more work until they publicly apologize to their stalk...err "fans" for having a life and wanting to be happy. That seems to be how the industry works for women. Rolling Eyes

Either that or they find a job that pays better and switch careers. Low pay is common in the industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1