• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What? Novel 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the reviewer misunderstood something pretty big regarding the ending of the book; i thought it was made pretty clear that spoiler[the demon lord was our spider protagonist, and this whole time the two narrative viewpoints have been at different time periods in the story].

The ending of this book both shocked and blew me away; it retroactively changes the tone of the series in a huge way, and it both answers and leaves a lot of questions. it clarifies what was a lingering question for me (spoiler[how the timelines for the two main characters match up, bc it doesn't seem like the spider is spending 16 years in that cave]), and leaves me wanting to learn more asap (spoiler[is the spider truly evil now, or are we just seeing things from a perspective that implies it? How did she get to this point? etc.])

Both this volume and this series are great. The third volume can't come out soon enough.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
Any idea what the sales number looks like? I'd really like an anime of this since so much of it is action.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I read the first novel and enjoyed it. Would also like an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
otagirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Kumo-chan is the cutest spider in the universe Anime exclamation

@Merxamers
Don't worry we were all scratching our heads as the web novel came out. If you're that desperate to find out then read ahead. Just beware there are some differences between the WN and LN.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I wonder if the reviewer misunderstood something pretty big regarding the ending of the book

Wow, I didn't realize this at all! I've been furiously poring over the two books trying to verify what you've said, and I think it all matches.

spoiler[At first I thought that Fei hatching happened right after the egg was stolen from the labyrinth, but that's silly since it clearly said that "it hatched much later." Given that, I think it makes complete sense that the "main story" is around the time everyone first reincarnated, i.e. all the humans are babies, whereas the side chapters are some 10-20 years later. Damn, that really does change everything.]
the green death

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
I wonder if the reviewer misunderstood something pretty big regarding the ending of the book

Wow, I didn't realize this at all! I've been furiously poring over the two books trying to verify what you've said, and I think it all matches.

spoiler[At first I thought that Fei hatching happened right after the egg was stolen from the labyrinth, but that's silly since it clearly said that "it hatched much later." Given that, I think it makes complete sense that the "main story" is around the time everyone first reincarnated, i.e. all the humans are babies, whereas the side chapters are some 10-20 years later. Damn, that really does change everything.]

spoiler[I had noticed the two time zones thing but got confused because of the hatching, thanks for checking it all makes sense now.

Pretty great series and I’m really curious how it goes from here]
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
When I read the second novel I got the same impression at the end as Merxamers. This has proven to be an excellent series so far and I can't understand why an anime hasn't been announced yet. Perhaps there's not enough material yet?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I wonder if the reviewer misunderstood something pretty big regarding the ending of the book; i thought it was made pretty clear that spoiler[the demon lord was our spider protagonist, and this whole time the two narrative viewpoints have been at different time periods in the story].

I thought this was a possibility but I wasn't sure, and it's not the first time that the series has engaged in some deliberate vagaries to obfuscate matters, so I decided to write the review without even hinting at it.

Assuming that you're correct, the series has some serious explaining to do in future volumes about how those parts will ultimately connect up. This volume does at least hint that spoiler[a more human-seeming form is farther down the evolutionary tree], but there are some details in that last part featuring the Demon Lord which don't match up well if, indeed, spoiler[our spider and the Demon Lord are one and the same].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
@the_green_death: If you have the books, check out volume 1 pages 66 and 164, and volume 2 pages 122, 220, and 253-254. Summary/analysis of those pages in the spoiler below.

spoiler[p66: Adventurers steal the egg and a bunch of Kumoko's thread.

p164: Fei says she was in a spider's nest who couldn't break her shell. This establishes that she was the egg stolen from Kumoko's nest.

p122 & 220: If [Fei] hatched in the labyrinth and had been fighting all this time, I doubt anyone could have defeated her. Or if there were another monster with human intelligence...

"Demon lord took over around when we were born." "Could it be someone who reincarnated with us?" "Nah, if so, they'd have had to have been leveling up from infancy."

>_> 2 comments that are a bit too on-the-nose (in light of the Kumoko=demon lord idea) to be throwaways.

p253-254: Jeskan confirms that you can't normally get spider silk, especially not-sticky, unless a monster creates it, then says a bunch of it was found 10 years ago along with a dragon egg. This links with v1p66. Julius confirms that that egg is now Fei, linking all the pieces together and establishing a general timeline.

Now, one blurry spot is that J3 and S7 are not necessarily happening at the same time. S7 says "a few years after we fought the earth wyrm," but J3 had shown that the demons were already gathering. Also, all the J chapters referenced "the Nightmare of the Labyrinth," which is most likely Kumoko (since the Vestige they defeated was also a spider). If J3/S7 happened at the same time, then Shun is around 9-10 years old when Julius is killed and he becomes a hero (based on the comments in J3). If "a few years later" also includes what was happening in J3, he might be older (12-13?), and maybe Julius was held captive for those years in between?

I guess we'll get more information once volume 3 comes out!]
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
HannoX wrote:
When I read the second novel I got the same impression at the end as Merxamers. This has proven to be an excellent series so far and I can't understand why an anime hasn't been announced yet. Perhaps there's not enough material yet?

It's pretty much unfilmable. There's two big problems.
+ there's no dialogue. There's only one character, no dialogue. In a tight first-person present-tense narrative the driver of the narrative is how your viewpoint character responds to situations, and [because everything you read is the viewpoint characters' thoughts] that gets presented inescapably in prose, but in film you film -- display visually -- the situations and have to depict the characters' reactions separately, in dialogue or narrative-voiceover. But there's only one character, so it has to be monologue, and that much monologue gets pretty damned tricky to handle.
+ Our Heroine is a massively unreliable narrator. Not a liar, as such, but... she's skipping over everything she's not interested in, stuff that she doesn't think is remarkable, and focussing on the things she wants to think about. This is how fair chunks of the books' mystery elements work; stuff happens, but spidergirl -- even though she saw or even caused it -- doesn't tell us what because it's not in her give-a-shit-about-it-sphere, and you have to piece it together from the lacunae. Again, easy in prose -- have the character think or talk about what they want and ignore the bits they don't, until you want to shift viewpoint and see how she looks from the outside -- but in video you only have one camera.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
HannoX wrote:

+ there's no dialogue. There's only one character, no dialogue. In a tight first-person present-tense narrative the driver of the narrative is how your viewpoint character responds to situations, and [because everything you read is the viewpoint characters' thoughts] that gets presented inescapably in prose, but in film you film -- display visually -- the situations and have to depict the characters' reactions separately, in dialogue or narrative-voiceover. But there's only one character, so it has to be monologue, and that much monologue gets pretty damned tricky to handle.
+ Our Heroine is a massively unreliable narrator. Not a liar, as such, but... she's skipping over everything she's not interested in, stuff that she doesn't think is remarkable, and focussing on the things she wants to think about. This is how fair chunks of the books' mystery elements work; stuff happens, but spidergirl -- even though she saw or even caused it -- doesn't tell us what because it's not in her give-a-shit-about-it-sphere, and you have to piece it together from the lacunae. Again, easy in prose -- have the character think or talk about what they want and ignore the bits they don't, until you want to shift viewpoint and see how she looks from the outside -- but in video you only have one camera.

The manga works pretty well, I don't think I'd be a problem
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
I’d imagine the inner monologue could function as a chili character cut-away initially, and would only be necessary for a fraction of the first few episodes, as the multi-personality thing would manifest as multiple chibis. Lots of potential for cool animation when both the “real world” and internal minds ape are being depicted.

Re: the series as a whole, yeah, I’m really digging it too, so far at least. I’m not really a fan of the “human”stories — too generic isekai for me — but maybe they’ll go in an interesting direction later on? The wacky timeline hijinx make me hopeful.

And yeah, definitely one of the better, and few genuinely good LNs out there. Shame we have to wait so long for new books....
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

The ending of this book both shocked and blew me away; it retroactively changes the tone of the series in a huge way, and it both answers and leaves a lot of questions. it clarifies what was a lingering question for me (spoiler[how the timelines for the two main characters match up, bc it doesn't seem like the spider is spending 16 years in that cave]), and leaves me wanting to learn more asap (spoiler[is the spider truly evil now, or are we just seeing things from a perspective that implies it? How did she get to this point? etc.])

Both this volume and this series are great. The third volume can't come out soon enough.

I can answer both questions about spoiler[kumo being evil or not, and the demon king] but it's a spoiler from volume 4 and 5. Read it under your own caution:
spoiler[Kumo is indeed evil form the perspective of every humanoid being (both humans and demons, and even some monsters like goblins or faries) but not from the entire world perspective.
And if kumo is the Demon King or not, the answer is both. Kumo destroyed half of the demon king's soul and replaced it with one of her parallel wills (body in charge). The real Kumo in shun's timeline is shiro (white) but at the same time she's half of the demon king (Her name is Ariel), who is infact Kumo's grandmother (queen taraktect's mother and the original taraktect)]

Last edited by linkhuesitos15 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Those aren't even the biggest problems to made an anime, the biggest problem the story have is Kumo herself if you have read the WN or know japanese to read the LN, you know what I am talking but if you haven't and don't care about spoilers read this:
spoiler[Kumo is completely unable to talk, if she want to say just few words to other person she need to think for 30 minutes and make all parallel wills predict all the possibles answer the other party would say, and after all this work she say "Good afternoon". She's like Hinata from the original Naruto but ten times more shy when she try to interact with other living being]
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Re: the series as a whole, yeah, I’m really digging it too, so far at least. I’m not really a fan of the “human”stories — too generic isekai for me — but maybe they’ll go in an interesting direction later on? The wacky timeline hijinx make me hopeful.

Actually Shun's story was created to be the Generic/Cliche isekai story, the author said in a Q&A that the "S" in the chapters was originally to refer to Shun as a Mary Sue but shun is male so the author named Shun's sister "Sue". And the second reason is that Shun's story works as the complete opposite to Kumo's story.
How shun is powerfull from the very beginning, have a peaceful life and can have everything he wants and obviously have an harem.
P.D. Yes Shun's story gets better but not at the same level as Kumo's
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1