• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai, Mamoru Hosoda, Sunao Katabuchi Invited to Join Oscars' Academy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenextday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
I hope they decline. The Academy couldn't care less about Japanese animation, as evidenced by the fact that none of these director's works have been nominated in the past. I bet the only reason they sent these invitations is so they can feel good about themselves and pretend to be inclusive.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
If I were Makoto Shinkai I’d tell them “I must respectfully decline as clearly your standards dictate that I could never make a better film than Boss Baby.”
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
thenextday wrote:
The Academy couldn't care less about Japanese animation, as evidenced by the fact that none of these director's works have been nominated in the past.

Who gets nominated is entirely up to the lobbying efforts of the US-side licensing companies. If and when Funimation starts ponying up the kind of money that was spent on securing Boss Baby's spot on the list, and Japanese animation still doesn't get nominated, then we can talk about whether or not the Academy has some kind of bias. Until then, the absolute best way to increase the chances of anime getting onto these lists is increasing the percentage of the Academy's members who care about Japanese animation... after all, they're the ones who actually vote, and no one is going to spend money on lobbying if they think that the votes aren't there.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
thenextday wrote:
The Academy couldn't care less about Japanese animation, as evidenced by the fact that none of these director's works have been nominated in the past.

Who gets nominated is entirely up to the lobbying efforts of the US-side licensing companies. If and when Funimation starts ponying up the kind of money that was spent on securing Boss Baby's spot on the list, and Japanese animation still doesn't get nominated, then we can talk about whether or not the Academy has some kind of bias. Until then, the absolute best way to increase the chances of anime getting onto these lists is increasing the percentage of the Academy's members who care about Japanese animation... after all, they're the ones who actually vote, and no one is going to spend money on lobbying if they think that the votes aren't there.

That's why my first thought when Funimation announced they got the license for Your Name my first thought was "well so much for the Oscars." I know members of the Academy and they hadn't even heard of Your Name until I brought it up. I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering Funimation debuted the film in literally ONE theater and didn't give it the full release until the following year.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
thenextday wrote:
I hope they decline. The Academy couldn't care less about Japanese animation,

Japanese animation isn't any less regarded than the animation category as a whole so declining for simply that reason is pretty petty especially since there are plenty of works and individuals who are overlooked, life goes on.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote
Boss Baby though.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
thenextday wrote:
I hope they decline. The Academy couldn't care less about Japanese animation,

Japanese animation isn't any less regarded than the animation category as a whole so declining for simply that reason is pretty petty especially since there are plenty of works and individuals who are overlooked, life goes on.

Except that many voting members have admitted in the past that they don't even watch anime that IS nominated, and simply vote against it. Actual quote:

Quote:
I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese ******’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

The voting members are bias for products made in their own countries, and things that their kids liked. It's meaningless.

I'm glad to see Yoko Kanno being recognized outside of Japan, though.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
I did a spit-take when I saw Sion Sono on the list.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
So an Oscar, is based on how much money you spend, and not how well made your film is?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So an Oscar, is based on how much money you spend, and not how well made your film is?

Or how politically relevant it is that given year.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

For the animated category, it's rather or not your kids liked it. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The Oscars should really be about american Hollywood movies anyway, not try to be the award show for the entire world. Maybe create a separate international animation award.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

The voting members are bias for products made in their own countries, and things that their kids liked. It's meaningless.

I'd be shocked if there was an awards based program where people weren't nominating and awarding things they liked while overlooking things they didn't.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
in information age and increasing digitized world like today, attention is currency. maybe the older audiences can continue reminiscing, but this ritual isn't getting much from me.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see that they are handing out positions to these director/writers.

It's fact, that whoever gets a nomination, let alone an award, is instantly granted with patronage but whether or not we agree on how these things are awarded is a different story, lots of criticism to be made there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2