• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Switch Keyboard Lets Players Chat While Using Joy-Cons

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
So, when's the Typing of the Dead port coming?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Hey, this is pretty cool. I could see a lot of uses for this in the future.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a point to this product.

1. You obviously can't type without putting the controllers down... so that part of the article is just flat out wrong. You might as well just get a wireless keyboard and pair it up to the console...

2. What games will support text based chat on a console that doesn't natively have a text based communication?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

1. You obviously can't type without putting the controllers down... so that part of the article is just flat out wrong. You might as well just get a wireless keyboard and pair it up to the console...

2. What games will support text based chat on a console that doesn't natively have a text based communication?

Is it even possible to pair a wireless keyboard to the Switch without connecting it to Joy-Cons? I suppose where there's a will, there's a way, but I do remember for the Wii that every peripheral connected to the Wii Remote in some way, as that was the Wii's primary way of receiving signals.

I suppose it can be done with a wireless USB transmitter attached to the side of the Switch, but I haven't seen any third-party company do that with the Switch yet. I'll bet it's because they have to get its shape just right, or the Switch can't fit in the dock.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't even connect to the switch wirelessly, you have to connect to the USB port on the dock. All it is a USB keyboard which you can slot the joycons on the side of. It's pretty pointless anyway, since hardly anything supports keyboard input.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Huh, is that all? I must not have paid enough attention to this, because I thought it somehow integrated itself with the Joy-Cons. But I guess I was thinking too much of the Wii (and to a lesser extent, the Wii U).
MKVarana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

It's actually pretty easy, to be honest. The keyboard is light enough to hold it by just the left joycon to move around and chat at the same time.

I play Dragon Quest X on Switch, and find using a regular keyboard with a controller to be cumbersome, so I preordered this thing about a year ago (and honestly though it was never coming out, with all the delays... ^^; )

My only two major complaints about it are that the cord is kinda short, so I need an extension cable to play comfortably from the couch, and that the joycon slots are simply slots, i.e. they don't charge them or anything.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

I suppose it can be done with a wireless USB transmitter attached to the side of the Switch, but I haven't seen any third-party company do that with the Switch yet. I'll bet it's because they have to get its shape just right, or the Switch can't fit in the dock.

I have some wireless microphones from Wii U that work fine on Switch. They use a USB dongle plugged into the dock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1