• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Anime Expo Extravaganza

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
RPG Maker MV: Hopefully there's a way to type text in more easily. RPG Maker 3 on the PS3 was not a good move since it didn't allow for a PS2 keyboard, so anything with text had to be typed in with the controller. Very tedious.

Shining Resonance Refrain: It's not quite Shining and it's not quite Tales either, but it's still enjoyable enough. Just don't go into it with a whole lot of expectations and it's standard fare. Though I suppose it's only for the sake of having Shining in the title that people are buying it, even if it represents how far Shining has strayed from its original strategy-based entries.

Octopath Traveler: It's nice to see the positive reception to this game so far. I have no doubt it'll do well. You can see the SaGa influence in it, and that's a major plus it has going for it.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Octopath Traveler: It's nice to see the positive reception to this game so far. I have no doubt it'll do well. You can see the SaGa influence in it, and that's a major plus it has going for it.

Is it? The saga franchise was never really consistent in its quality and it'd say it's easily the worst of the square franchise (unlimited saga being one of the worst game I've ever played whose only saving grace is the opening movie). Mechanically there were always weird (like gaining random stats gain after battle).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Is it? The saga franchise was never really consistent in its quality and it'd say it's easily the worst of the square franchise (unlimited saga being one of the worst game I've ever played whose only saving grace is the opening movie). Mechanically there were always weird (like gaining random stats gain after battle).

The series was certainly different from the norm, and I think it's fun to be experimental. SaGa has a strong following in Japan, so they seem to be perfectly comfortable with the "bizarre mechanics"; they were a hard sell overseas due to doing things differently from standard RPGs. Despite that, they're still attempting to find an audience here since we got Romancing SaGa 2, and we'll be getting 3 as well as the console ports of Scarlet Grace down the line.

SaGa Frontier is definitely the easiest SaGa title once one settles into the groove of it, and it happens to be my favorite title. Unlimited was, admittedly, a mess in its overall execution and I never was able to complete a single character's tale due to making myself too powerful using Ventus's delivery system to get multiple level ups; the fault was on me though, since I abused it and ended up having Level 5 plates and big stat boosts for everyone pretty quickly. Unfortunately, this caused Liches to show up in nearly every random encounter and they could easily mutilate my LP. I was forced to give up.

Regardless, the series does have its fans here, and they love the challenge the titles present. The English version of SaGa Frontier 2 is actually much more difficult than the Japanese version, so if people really want a struggle, they should go for that one. Romancing SaGa on PS2 is also a solid entry if you're the type who likes solo character challenges.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
RPG Maker MV on consoles will be excellent as long as it has support for PC resource packs and plugins. If not, it's more of a novelty.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
RPG Maker MV on consoles will be excellent as long as it has support for PC resource packs and plugins. If not, it's more of a novelty.

Definitely. Hope it has some good-looking character resources too, as well as a lot of variety (the playable cast not being solely human, for example).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
While not a Japanese game, I was quite surprised when I saw Freedom Planet at the XSeed booth, and I was wondering why they had that game when it's been out for a few years already. Then I realized those were Joy-Con controllers and that they're releasing it for the Switch.

I'm not sure if I want to buy the same game twice in two years, but it'll all come down to how much content there is in the Switch version, as the Wii U version was slightly stripped down (namely that Milla is playable but has no story).
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I don't know what the general fan consensus was on the remaster in Japan, it did include a bonus port of the original PC-98 game (minus the erotic content), so purists could stick with the original. Here's hoping that's also packed in with the English version. I love me some 256-color pixel art.

Looking it up on the Game Catalog Wiki, the remake was pretty well-received, though naturally some of the old fans can't take to the new artwork and voices. Also, since the original's a PC-98 game, it's actually in hi-res 16-color pixel art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1