• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favourite music and why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
There's a ton. However, if the OST was composed by Yuki Kajiura, Hiroyuki Sawano, Yasuharu Takanashi, or Kenji Kawai, then chances are it's on my list of favorite soundtracks because they consistently produce great epic OSTs with appealing music that enhances the anime and sets the mood.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop's insert songs are way better than the BGM in my opinion. Princess Tutu might have my favorite music in anime, but is that a fair answer?
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Maho Shoujo Tai Arusu (Magical Girl Squad Alice) or Tweeny Witches as it is known here in the us (stupid name). One of the best anime osts I know of.
Nano Anime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
Hi,

Anime shows are really fun to watch. Apart from the storyline, the songs attached with a particular anime can also give a huge impact on its viewers. Here are my top anime songs

HxH's "Ohayou" - this is uplifting, love the melody!
Ranma 1/2's "Sweet Soul" - why not?
Slam Dunk's "Kimi ga Suki da to Sakebitai" - This is a great song, I love basketball as well!
Fullmetal Alchemist's "Rewrite" - this is also a great song

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online. So much emotion poured into their tracks, especially in Alicization. <3
Animefanatic007

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
I liked the Cardcaptor Sakura OST, maybe because this was my first anime ever. Very Happy I bought all the soundtracks in fact.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
Wow, where to begin. I have hundreds of anime CDs. The stuff I play the most often would probably be, in no particular order:

Bubblegum Crisis/Crash/AD Police soundtracks & image albums. Crisis' OSTs have mainly Steinmain-style hard rock songs, which make perfect sense given that the series was partially inspired by Streets of Fire (which also has an excellent soundtrack too, but is not anime so I digress). Kinuko Oomori, Priss's voice actress, was the lead singer of the rock band Silk rather than normal anime voice talent and that really shows in the music, IMHO. I also really love Yoshiko Sakakibara (Sylia Stingray)'s voice, so I like her songs too. The AD police soundtrack is totally different, having vocals by Lou Bonnevie, a Filipina singer. Strangely for anime, the lyrics are in English, and they rock too.

Ah My Goddess, generally speaking. The music of these series, especially the original OVAs and its spinoff albums, is first-class, and it has some fantastic voice talent too. Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy) and Yumi Touma (Urd) are both amazing singers and I am particularly fond of the latter's voice. Aya Hisakawa (Skuld) is a great singer too, but I I must admit she puts on the "little girl" voice a little too much in the AMG works and I prefer her in other works.

Galaxy Fraulein Yuna. This only had two anime OVAs but there are a variety of music CDs from related media (games, image albums, a radio show, etc.) Most of it is pretty generic bubblegum pop sort of music that I don't feel is noteworthy but It's got some solid OP/ED pieces and there are a pair of real gems by Yumi Touma (Liavelt von Neuestein / Polylina) which are amazing.

Idol Project: This is kind of an obscure and silly OVA, but it has a five-star vocal cast: Aya Hisakawa, Kikuko Inoue, Mariko Kouda, Ai Orikasa, etc. The vocal pieces are great and the mastering quality is also top-notch. I use a couple pieces off the Idol Project OSTs as test tracks for audio systems.

Voogie's Angel: Another obscure show, and you might find it silly depending on which version you watch, but it also has an amazing cast: Aya Hisakawa, Kikuko Inoue, Sakura Tange, etc. Like Idol Project the mastering quality is amazing too.

Key the Metal Idol: Like Bubblegum Crisis, this is another show with a real rock singer as voice talent. Chiyako Shibahara is amazing. And Junko Iwao performs a brilliant rendition of "Galaxy in my hands" at the end too. But what I think is the best strength of this soundtrack is its BGM. I normally find BGM pretty unremarkable, but not so with Key. And it contains a massive hidden gem: the track on OST III called "Passenger", which was the end credits to the 2nd to last episode. It's essentially an instrumental, but it is a masterpiece composition, IMHO. It is also a fantastic test or demo track for good sound systems.

Devil Hunter Yohko: While this show was famous for nude transformation sequences, succubus principals, and harley-riding ninja grandmothers, it also had a lot of great vocal pieces by Aya Hisakawa.

Macross (original TV series). Mari Iijima, nothing else needs be said.

Macross Plus, Yohko Kanno's best work IMHO. Brilliant on both an instrumental level (esp. Myung's theme Cello version) and a vocal one (Idol Talk, Information High, Santi-U)

Honorable mentions: Cardcaptor Sakura for vocals, Vampire Princess Miyu Integral for BGM.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
I've always been a huge fan of the soundtrack for Paradise Kiss (that shouldn't shock anyone). From the opening song, the series soundtrack, and the ending song... all were fantastic. I can't think of another anime that used such an eclectic mix of pop, rock, classical, etc. Also, who doesn't love Franz Ferdinand?!

Another anime that featured some good music was Michiko to Hatchin. The South American vibes fit the show perfectly.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite had great "age appropriate" songs. A lot of them were really catchy and uplifting.

The final anime I'd like to mention is Nana. A large part of the show centers around music and the soundtrack is great!
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 am Reply with quote
I am going to give this thread a bump. Hope you don't mind. A lot of anime has great music, but when someone say anime music, I say Digimon. Why? Because if it wasn't for Digimon, I would probably never get interested in anime music. Butter-Fly will probably always be my favourite song and I don't mean just anime song and Kouji Wada will be one my most favourite singers. But Digimon has many other a great songs from other singers. Since I don't want this post to be too long, I am only going to give memorable mention to Brave Heart from Ayumi Miyazaki, Oreta Tsubasa de ~With Broken Wings~ from Kenichi Suzumura and of course Mikakunin Hikousen from Takayoshi Tanimoto, the opening for the reboot, who really did catch the nostalgy Digimon feeling, without being too nostalgic.
But Digimon also had great BGM that really did catch the feeling of the scene and they also knew when to use silence to emphasis the impact of the scene. The latter, one may argue, probably don't relate to this thread, but for me, it does, because the masterpiece of using silence is also part of (not just) anime musical score IMO.

And another anime I am going to mention is Monster Rancher, or more correctly, Monster Farm. The Japanese version had a lot of great openings and endings, especially the first one, which stuck in my head, but that's not what I want to talk about here. Monster Farm had a very unique BGM, that felt like late 1990s game soundtrack. And that's really fitting, because it is anime based upon games. But not only did these pieces of simple musical score catch the feeling of game-based anime. It also did catch the feel of the scene quite well. And that's real masterpiece. But really, to fully understand what I am talking about, you have to see at lest few episodes of the anime in its Japanese version. Otherwise, you can hardly understand.
GetMagnaCarter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Macross Plus
I've got all 4 cds with the great range of music
The Borderline has a wonderful sinisterness about it, Alone in the Twilight brought each episode to a dramatic end, then there's Idol Talk and Voices
plus the instrumentals and the oddities (like Bad Dog)
LiamEvans210

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:28 am Reply with quote
my answer Violet Evergarden. I love the characters, the plot, the animation, the music, everything. Perfection. ringtones free

Last edited by LiamEvans210 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
GetMagnaCarter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I've mentioned my first choice above
the runners-up ...

Twinbee Paradise - okay, I'm technically cheating as the CDs I have are 5 image albums for the audio drama series which preceded the anime but they are great fun - especially the duets featuring Dr Waruman, and some of the songs featuring the "Bees"

Kimagure Orange Road - I have Loving Heart+ (with songs from the TV series) and Freshly Picked Special (with music from the OVAs). Plenty of good music on them

Marmalade Boy - I have the double album collecting the songs and another with instrumentals and monologues - all good

Project A-Ko snd Dirty Pair: Eden Project both have good songs
and
Record of Loddoss War - good (mostly instrumental)
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Far too many to mention.
Kohei Tanaka - Gunbuster, Brave Exkaiser, G Gundam, GaoGaiGar, arranger of the first Dragon Ball OP & ED, etc
Toshihiko Sahashi - The Big O, GEAR Fighter Dendoh
Yasunori Iwasaki - Getter Robo Armageddon, The Brave of Legend Da Garn, The Brave Police J-Decker, Solid State Scouter from DBZ special
Yasuharu Takanashi - Toward the Terra (2007), Naruto Shippuden (although I've gotten a bit more tired of this one recently)
Yasuo Higuchi - Phoenix 2772, After War Gundam X, Wings of Rean
Kow Otani - Gundam Wing (watched), Popolocrois Story (only bought & heard soundtrack)
Kenji Kawai - Invincible King Tri-Zenon, Patlabor (just for that one 80's theme "Asahi no Naka e"), Ghost in the Shell & Innocence (just the two main themes), Beast Warrior Gulkeeva
Taku Iwasaki - Gurren Lagann
Hiroyuki Sawano - Gigantic Formula, Sengoku BASARA
Taro Iwashiro - Gargantia of the Verdurous Planet
Yoshihisa Hirano - Steel God Jeeg, SRW OG: Divine Wars
Toshiyuki Watanabe - G Dangaioh, Vifam

And the list goes on & on...
HoneyAlice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:01 am Reply with quote
So, well, I'll be mega corny - Naruto openings are my favorite. Don't judge me Smile But it's the first anime that started it all so my heart is there
Baronjame86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:40 am Reply with quote
Wind from Naruto, had a girl burn me a CD forever ago when I was in middle school and while I didn't know the anime at the time it's stayed a special song to me ever since.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15