• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Battleship Yamato 2202's TV Airing Premieres on October 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'm confused... Does this mean the series that Crunchy is currently streaming hasn't aired in Japan and won't until October? That seems very odd.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
I'm confused... Does this mean the series that Crunchy is currently streaming hasn't aired in Japan and won't until October? That seems very odd.

Instead of waiting for the Japanese version like they did with the first season. They cut up the movies themselves this time for season two. So they could run the two seasons back to back. That's why season 2 doesn't have a proper opening. Doubt they'll be much difference unless they've done some touch up work.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

In essence yes. However, Japan already got a premiere and that was in the movie theaters and Bluray releases. They had a weird (but profitable) release schedule. The episodes were condensed into a movie and that released the same day as the Bluray. All of season 1 and so far season 2 keeps this schedule. I'm shocked (and happy) that we are getting the series aired on Crunchyroll (with the English dub on Funimation). We never got the movies and season 1 was 4 years late. Season 1 also ran on television in Japan after the movies were in the theaters. So in essence they haven't strayed from their original set up. Hardcore fans will still go to the theater to see the most recent episodes in movie form and buy the DVD. Others who just wait for the TV series will catch up in October. Remember that this current season on Crunchyroll has not finished airing in Japan in the theaters (I think there are 1-2 more movies left to conclude season 2).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1