Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle Halts In-Game Purchases in Belgium to Comply With Gambling Laws




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Merxamers



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 676
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The only ones arguing that that isn't gambling are the companies trying to profit from it. Would be nice to see some of that legislation here in the US, if only to stop these full-priced "AAA" games from having exploitative loot-box economies (Battlefront 2, every sports game, etc.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SWAnimefan



Joined: 10 Oct 2014
Posts: 633
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
The only ones arguing that that isn't gambling are the companies trying to profit from it. Would be nice to see some of that legislation here in the US, if only to stop these full-priced "AAA" games from having exploitative loot-box economies (Battlefront 2, every sports game, etc.)


Soon. The train only just started moving, it needs that momentum. We have Hawaii and some legislators already questioning gamble boxes and micro-transactions as well these companies taking advantage of online addictions.

That said, while some major game corporations are taking advantage of these systems, smaller game companies and independents (with some good titles) do need them to stay in business. So any legislature needs to keep that in mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Narutofreak1412



Joined: 22 Feb 2015
Posts: 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with lootboxes, but only when you can clearly see the chances.
Like for example when they say that you have a 80% chance for a common and a 20% chance for a rare character.
Sadly, most lootboxes don't tell you the odds and all you can do is look at lootbox openings on youtube and try to get a feel for the odds.

I also came across fixed chance boxes a few times already, where it's programmed in a way, that it will only give you something rare after you have spend a specific amount.

I'm really not a fan of boxes where you either have no indication for the rarities at all or where they fake a specific chance, like an animation where you choose one out of 3 treasure chests, but your choice actually doesn't even matter and it already determined your loot after you confirmed to spend your ingame currency.

I really enjoy some of the chinese f2p games after the companies had to make their accurate chances public due to the chinese government introducing that new transparency law for lootboxes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 2009
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind Overwatch's loot boxes because they are purely cosmetic. Otherwise I absolutely hate seeing crap like that in a game that I already paid for, especially when it is a competitive game and loot boxes can give a competitive advantage.

The DBZ game in question is f2p. I don't really have an issue with f2p gacha games as long as they clearly list the odds. I've seen a lot of comments recently worrying about how these games could be in trouble, at least in the EU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group