• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Spooky Manga for October 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
That cover image scared the life out of me, ANN. Guess I gotta check out PTSD Radio now Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
A friend recommended Promise Neverland to me but I have yet to check it out.

As for the vamps, Sleepy Ash all the way. Anime hyper He's a cutie and we'd just veg out on the couch together munching potato chips because doing anything else is "a paaaaain." Rofl

I'd invite Shidou and Riho from Night Walker too....but I'm not serving MY blood; I like to keep my blood in my body, thanks. xD
nynextew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
For Shibuya Goldfish, the author's name is misspelled, I believe it's Aoi not Arai.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I read a preview of Dementia 21 in OtakuUSA and really enjoyed it.

Also, I would invite Nyanpire into my house, and definitely invite Shinobu into my house. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There are ten manga on this list, not seven ^^;
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
There are ten manga on this list, not seven ^^;

Fixed!

Quote:
For Shibuya Goldfish, the author's name is misspelled, I believe it's Aoi not Arai.

And also fixed, thanks guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I love PTSD Radio and Nakayama's other works! He’s great at building up tension and fear in less than 2-5 pages. Every time you read through a page, you’re just waiting for the punchline to hit you. And when it hits you, it hits.

His style is not as gruesome or haunting as Junji Ito’s, but I personally like Nakayama’s way of story telling better. It feels like reading a campfire horror story where the story should be short, but still leave enough details for your imagination to spin and ruin your sleep.

I also read Shibuya Goldfish...It’s dumb...Really dumb. Borders on black comedy for me. But like with every horror manga I’ve read, I’m always intrigued with the “Why” and “How” of these kinds of stories. Like spoiler[why do these fish talk like children, and why does it make me laugh?]

The Promised Neverland is also an excellent recommendation. One of my fave manga that I binged through. Though I personally wouldn’t consider it a horror. Not the whole manga anyway. Just the first arc.

I’m adding Starving Anonymous and Dragon Head to my list of horro manga to read. Thanks for the recs!
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
For vampires, I'd love to hand out with Staz any time! We'll probably end up playing games and watching anime, and he doesn't seem to drink any blood from humans ever (he rarely goes into the human world, it's shown that getting human goods is rather difficult), so hell yeah, I'd hang out with Staz!

My default for creepy manga is always Junji Ito. I'm a bit predictable that way. Not that I don't love other horror manga too! It's weird, I can't stand horror movies from any country, I just find them silly much of the time, but horror manga? I eat that stuff up!
I must give props to his Cat Diary manga though. Completely ordinary cats doing ordinary things, but Junji Ito only knows one drawing style.... so slice of life cats presented as horror it is!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
That cover image scared the life out of me, ANN. Guess I gotta check out PTSD Radio now Laughing

It's not like your avatar is any more soothing. Razz

I don't much read manga because I have trouble deciphering the b/w drawings, but some of these sound interesting, if they're short enough.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's not like your avatar is any more soothing.

Can't argue with that Razz
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
I don't celebrate the halloween at all, cause i am from Serbia. But man, the images that showed on The List really freaked me out, it was so terrible as hell. Surprised

I did watched an anime called Ghost Stories that ran on Animax and it was hell as scariest thing i have ever watched.

(sorry for my poor English)
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Starving Anonymous sounded interested and I ended up reading the first 5 volumes last night. It definitely was all about depravity for shock value, but didn't have the substance to back up the set up or follow up on things it introduced.
DTM108

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Damn, they should have included Hakaijuu (aka Creature!). It’s exceptionally gruesome and terrifying; the first three volumes are on Amazon for the Kindle. I own the first 9 volumes from a trip I took to Japan a few years back. If you’re looking for some crazy, H.P. Lovecraft-style monsters with some Berserk-level violence mixed in, you’ve got to check that one out.
melmouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I loved Dragonhead online! It goes on far behond the situation of the guys trapped underground in the beginning. To me it's the best apocolypse-in-Japan manga I've ever read.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I need to get back into reading horror manga again... Haven't done it in a while. Masaaki Nakayama is so good, I'll have to check out PTSD Radio.

As for the poll... Was going to vote for Tatsumi from Shiki but I think he's theoretically a werewolf, so...Sunako. Because she's a good girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1