• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UQ Holder! Anime's English Dub Cast Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzy123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Awesome can't wait for season two.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I like Brittney Karbowski and think she is a great voice actress, but voicing boys is not one of her strong points, I also wasn't fond of her Black Star. After seeing Denno Coil I would of gone with Tiffany Grant, as she voiced a similar character in that show to great effect.

@ Lord Vaultman I counted 39 people in total, and won't it be the case of a lot not appearing in the same episodes as each other, or at least not the same scene.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I see alot of people voicing multiple roles (sad face)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd have been more surprised if Greg, Luci, and Monica didn't reprise their roles.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted Tota to be voiced by a guy. Don't get me wrong, Brittney is awesome, but I imagined the voice for Tota to be a more gruff sounding youth. Like Aaron Dismuke only a more fresh face.

Also it should be noted that the original dub had a lot of repeat voices, including Monica herself voicing at least three characters. Biggest losses are Brina Palencia's Yue, Caitlin Glass' Chisame and Chachamaru, Laura Bailey's Evangeline, and Cherami Leigh's pretty much everyone. But I understand their circumstances.

Plus, Goddamn Jessica Calvello is really pulling double duty on this one; granted two of them are twins, but still. Good to be hearing her again of course.

Tbh, I don't think I'll be getting back into this one. Last I checked the manga was in Dlast November and I just got so tired of it. Call it Negima fatigue,
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I really wanted Tota to be voiced by a guy. Don't get me wrong, Brittney is awesome, but I imagined the voice for Tota to be a more gruff sounding youth. Like Aaron Dismuke only a more fresh face.

I firmly believe anime human/humanoid male characters that are 13+ should be voiced by guys in the Japanese and English versions, unless the guy character is cross-dressing or very effeminate. It doesn't help when it comes to harem shows that this sometimes happens. I really wish Sentai would give the "To Love-Ru" franchise an Eng. dub and have Josh Grelle play Rito. To put it nicely, Rito's Japanese voice was very miscast in having a woman voice him and all offense is intended to his seiyuu.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
I have to agree. Touta is 14 years old, so his voice shouldn't sound that young.

And I'm not happy with Yukihime's British accent, it feels so out of place. Guess they were trying to be consistent with the Negima dub.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I have to agree. Touta is 14 years old, so his voice shouldn't sound that young.

And I'm not happy with Yukihime's British accent, it feels so out of place. Guess they were trying to be consistent with the Negima dub.

Not that consistent, they cast two VAs to do what Laura Bailey was capable of doing on her own.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
Brittney sounds really awful as Tota. She's the type of VA that's better off voicing her own gender. Even little boys at the age of 6 or so is pushing it for her, let alone a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD BOY.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1