• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Catherine: Full Body Game's Video Focuses on Rin

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#t4bbris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I can't understand the trailer, but watching this kind of makes me realize maybe Catherine hasn't aged too well. The trailer starting with two women nagging at him and then switching to Rin being like an angelic escape from them... I was like a tween when the original came out so I can't be sure how much controversy it generated but I remember it being very little and not being weirded out at all. My world history teacher in high school talked about having played it lol... But, now, I don't really know how well sexy game about being an asshole will go over. This new character looks kinda creepily young too (and is named Qatherine???) and seems like kind of a moe innocent girl fantasy.
Maybe I'm wrong though! I mean, I can't understand the trailer and I don't have an incredibly clear memory of how subversive or non the original game was.
ICO44

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
To me it less about Catherine not aging well more about people became waaay too over sensitive in everything.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, I dunno about that. Catherine was quite novel when it was brand new, but I still remember being disappointed with the writing by the time I was done with it. I can't really blame anyone for being nervous about how another attempt might turn out.

I will hope for the best as well, though. It is nice there's online multiplayer this time.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I've never liked the idea of shoehorning in more content into an already set narrative.

Didn't like the new character and dungeon for Persona 4 Golden. Prefer the vanilla version.

At least P3P made sense as that only had to do with a gender swap and other character interactions and that was originally the plan anyway.

FES was at least a sequel of events after the game, though it didn't add much.

Don't know how Catherine will handle it, but for the most part I tend to lean more towards the original releases being better, but we'll see.

There wasn't any 'controversy' over Catherine other than the fact that the game would explore more mature themes and some racy promo images, but the game was fairly tame overall for what it covered, which was perfectly fine in my book.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
i know i'm looking forward too this!

Got the original love is over collection when it was 1st released and also replayed this game each year close too Halloween, since the game itself was never that long and I don't own many scary video games.

Not sure who they will get too dub this now, but like P4 golden, i hope the recast is just as good.(big hope, if P4 dancing all night is any indication, it will be pretty hard too recast laura as catherine)
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
Yas, thanks for giving me these weird ass games. Fell in love with the original many years ago. Diversity in gaming <3
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Catherine has 10 additional seiyuus in addition to Sawashiro Miyuki. Now she's played by Noto Mamiko, Koshimizu Ami, Yuuki Aoi, Horie Yui, Asumi Kana, Tomatsu Haruka, Toyoguchi Megumi, Kugimiya Rie, Satou Rina and Mizuki Nana.

The game has apparently 80 additional cutscenes, more than double the amount of stages, and an online multiplayer for competetitve play. A tournament has been already held a few days ago, if not yesterday. Also, I'm digging the third option.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Didn't like the new character and dungeon for Persona 4 Golden. Prefer the vanilla version.

I don't know why even if you don't like Golden it still did some good things like giving Yukiko's Shadow a weakness which it lacked for some reason and recasting characters like Chie who do not sound good in the original game.

jdnation wrote:

to do with a gender swap and other character interactions and that was originally the plan anyway.

I wouldn't call excluding one of the romance options, replacing the animated scenes with stills, and leaving out the FES content sensible.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Regarding P3P, ya, removing the 3D town areas and some of the other rollbacks the PSP version employed was a pretty extreme misfire IMO. It means that if you want to play as the canon character with the full story, you have to play on PS2 and you have no control over your party's actions. If you want to play as the better character you get a tiny screen and the game is suddenly a minimalist visual novel with randomly generated dungeons and jRPG combat. Hopefully Full Body doesn't have any nasty rollbacks to QoL features or scenes or censorship.

I had fun with the original Catherine. College was in full swing at the time and the Neutral ending in particular to the game (I thought) spoke very well to certain life lessons that people entering adulthood would do well to learn ASAP (and most still have not figured out even decades later).

Any issues I had with Catherine tend to be issues I've had with modern Persona games as well - they seem (especially with Persona 4) to be trying to cover modern gender politics and social constructs, but then I feel like the devs/writers either don't have the most comprehensive perspective on the subjects they're covering, or they chicken out and back off at the last second and play some of the more serious stuff off with a wink & a nod. Forcing a male main character in most Persona games means that you're already flirting with a certain bias within the presentation from the get-go, and then it's made worse when you have scenes of your P5 guy sneaking a look at the girls' underwear from in back of the hot van without their consent (or yours as the player). Take some time to explain why that bothers the girls rather then have them just yell and punch you in the face for a laugh.

With the original Catherine release, a lot of the supernatural elements undermined certain elements of the narrative. spoiler[Catherine's and Erica's in particular.] The game's narrative participates in a discussion about the social pressures on up-&-coming adults (in Japanese society) regarding relationships and career, etc - but half of that discussion is lost when we only see Vincent's side of the argument and don't really get to see Katherine's perspective and thought process.

When you're being chased by a giant demon baby or a twisted representation of Katherine trying to fork & consume Vincent's manhood in the nightmare boards, it makes for a "funny haha" gameplay aspect to be trying to climb the towers and get to safety, and it plays on the unrealistic societal expectations (Japan in this case) places on their men spoiler[or those exiting the demographic entirely], but beyond that satirical one-shot humor from casting Katherine as one of Vincent's nightmares, you get a really one-sided depiction of the situation and Katherine is left in an unfair position as a narrative villain because of it. Vincent is a bit of a loser to begin with and it's fair to mention that his perception of women and his friends' conversations with him do well to illustrate what problems "tribal isolation" can affect in the real world, but I still argue that they could have went farther, shown Katherine talking to her friends and family (hell, go back and do that in a New Game+), and given a more compassionate look at the female side of the cast.

I'm hoping Full Body gets this right. One thing I loved about the Nier games is how New Game+ usually means you get the other sides' perspective and now you feel like shit for having done bad things to them (or you are a sociopath and you don't). Catherine already seemed like enough of a "manic pixie dream girl" herself in the original, and Rin sorta is looking like that in the trailer. Vincent is a loser and I expect him to view Rin as such and Catherine as an "emotional escape" of sorts, but leaving it simply at that will leave both characters as objectified by game's end, and I'm VERY much hoping they avoid that eventuality. If Rin is indeed not a cis gal, I VERY much hope they don't just waive her off as a "trap" and actually dive into some of the hardships and concerns a person such as herself has when seeking/starting new relationships and the pressures society places on her (rather than the player only seeing her as an objectified "escape"). And I hope spoiler[the supernatural elements get elaborated on so as not to take a giant dump on Erica and Rin & people like them. Again, it's a commentary on the pressures (Japanese) society places on men and by extension what that means for people misgendered as male, but if they just stop abruptly before talking about why this hurts people like Erica and Rin, then they've done their characters an injustice. Also, Catherine's father undermines her ability to make decisions about sex/relationships as an adult but they make a joke of him/the situation rather than exploring a conversation about him being a helicopter parent in his daughter's sex life].

People were bothered when the original Mass Effect 3 ending was too abrupt, this is sort of the same. I want to see them flesh out stuff so that much more of the cast is treated with compassion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1