• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Hero and His Elf Bride Open a Pizza Parlor in Another World Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the review, now I kinda have a rough idea what to expect from this title (although the long title gives away the premise already Wink )

Although reading from your review, I am a bit curious, when you mention self-aware and this being a parody of the much-saturated Isekai genre, does it somehow getting a bit too "meta" or self-contained enough to not go for the "oh-Iook-how-funny-I-am" type of humor? Also, you mentioned the odd word choices, do you mean there are some questionable dictions in the translation or just the deliberate dog command mentioned in the review?

Again, thanks in advance
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks like another new manga I'll be giving a read (most manga/light novels are interesting me now compared to most anime, sans me checking out Action Heroine Cheer Fruits since it got uploaded to Crunchyroll recently) as I totally love pizza, but is it just me, or am I the only one noticing that all of these recent manga series having long titles that roll off the tongue? Confused
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
If Bob’s Burgers was an isekai.

Glad to see the tongue is firmly in cheek.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
1) Ferment is correct (https://www.hengel.com/en/bread-fermentation-methods.html)
2) I've found pizza crust to be fluffy? Though a lot of pizza crust in Japan is rather gummy than fluffy.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Looks like another new manga I'll be giving a read (most manga/light novels are interesting me now compared to most anime, sans me checking out Action Heroine Cheer Fruits since it got uploaded to Crunchyroll recently) as I totally love pizza, but is it just me, or am I the only one noticing that all of these recent manga series having long titles that roll off the tongue? Confused

I don't believe this series even has a manga adaptation, since it's so short and new. This review is for the light novel that was just released today by Yen Press.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:54 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
1) Ferment is correct (https://www.hengel.com/en/bread-fermentation-methods.html)
2) I've found pizza crust to be fluffy? Though a lot of pizza crust in Japan is rather gummy than fluffy.

1) That's interesting - I never would have thought to apply that term for dough, probably because of my allergy to most fermented things, which isn't affected by breads. Learn something new everyday! Smile

2) Maybe I've been eating the wrong pizza? I've definitely never had fluffy crust. Puffy, yes, so maybe it's a semantics thing.

@Engineering Nerd

Mewpudding just cleared up two of my diction issues with the text, but the dog language used to describe Lilia in general is a problem - it isn't just the command to "leave it," but also the way her behavior is described.

As for self-awareness, I think if you weren't familiar with the isekai genre, you wouldn't necessarily notice it. Kizaki knows the audience and doesn't want to offend them, but also can't quite take the genre seriously.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
I can't read that title without thinking of the '90s sitcom Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place, (which I never actually saw, byt the A.V. Club article I linked to prove it existed makes it sound almost watchable!)

It's interesting that more light novels without anime tie-ins are getting published in English, but what I would really like would be older, incompleted in English light novel series with anime adaptations--like Scrapped Princess, and Twelve Kingdoms-- to be licensed rescued.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
@LegitPancake
Oh, it's a light novel (by the same company that did the Magical Girl Raising Project light novels), my bad. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1