• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragon Ball Z Dub Composer Nathan Johnson Claims Texas Senate Seat

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, the DBZ dub composer who wasn't Bruce Faulconer..... I had completely forgotten about him. Still congratulations to Mr. Johnson on being part of the muted but still significant Blue Wave that manged to gain a much large foothold of resistance against the terror that Trump. (Not that I have much faith that things are going to change for the better any time soon even so.)

Last edited by Zeino on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime is a refuge, we don't need politics.

Mark Gosdin
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard "the guy who won the Texas Senate seat did the dub theme for DBZ" my first thought was "Ted Cruz made Rock the Dragon"? But no, its some other guy and a different song entirely
ShinySlowqueen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I live in Nathan Johnson's district and voted for him. I'm super psyched about this. Very Happy Don Huffines can eat a dick.
Larryg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Cool and all but not like it matters.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
That is awesome
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Mr. Johnson

I am mostly a Conservative Republican here who does regret voting for Trump because of the way he acts. Being FB friends with Sentai Filmworks and Funi VA Carli Mosier, I saw a lot of the stories about Houston area political issues on her Wall.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Not that I have much that things are going to change for the better any time soon even so.)

Politics literally follow the same pattern every election to the point I'm not sure why people freak out or care about them so much. Bush Sr. had to work under a blue House and Senate, Clinton had to work under a Red House and Senate, Bush Jr had to work under a Blue house and Senate, and Obama had to work under a Red House and Senate. I guess the fact Trump still has the Senate post-Midterms puts him in a better position than previous Presidents right now, but politics will probably continue the trend in the end.

But yeah, keep (American) politics out of anime anyway, thanks.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

It's a legit news story. I fail to see how the politics are relevant.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
Congrats to him! I'm glad a pro-bono human rights lawyer won a political seat.
His connection to Funimation kind of underscores that they must've had a very limited budget back then, because they couldn't afford a pro musician.
Chester McCool wrote:
When I first heard "the guy who won the Texas Senate seat did the dub theme for DBZ" my first thought was "Ted Cruz made Rock the Dragon"? But no, its some other guy and a different song entirely

Now that would be funny!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
For multiple reasons, this story made me smile.....
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Bush Sr. had to work under a blue House and Senate, Clinton had to work under a Red House and Senate, Bush Jr had to work under a Blue house and Senate, and Obama had to work under a Red House and Senate.

Clinton, W, and Obama had to work under a Congress of the opposite party after they flipped in the midterm elections that followed after the general. In the case of Bush it happened after his re-election whereas in the other two examples it happened after their first.

Lord Oink wrote:

I guess the fact Trump still has the Senate post-Midterms puts him in a better position than previous Presidents right now,

Not really losing the house much pretty much insures Trump loyalists can't waste taxpayer dollars calling for useless investigations or issuing sham supoenas. Plus the Senate can still flip back in a few years or so especially if Trump's poll numbers and bad policies keep continuing to drag down Republicans.

Lord Oink wrote:

But yeah, keep (American) politics out of anime anyway, thanks.

I find it curious you put emphasis on "American".....apparently non American politics is also okay in your books.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

It's a legit news story. I fail to see how the politics are relevant.

I believe he's referring to the OP, the post above his:

Quote:
Still congratulations to Mr. Johnson on being part of the muted but still significant Blue Wave that manged to gain a much large foothold of resistance against the terror that Trump

Before clicking on this thread I thought to myself, "Yikes, this could get really cringy if Nathan Johnson is a Republican, better check just in case". So when I saw that he was a Democrat I thought "Cool, maybe the thread will actually be about how cool it is that a DBZ composer got into politics. Maybe the Trump bashers will keep it to themselves!".

Silly me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1