• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Between the Sky and Sea Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd say great except the first episode made me throw the '3 episode rule' out the window, HARD!!! Suffice to say I dropped this show like a ton of bricks. >_>
Octonian
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The premise is beyond ridiculous but once the show settles down it becomes a fairly standard but reasonably well-done series about each character needing to overcome her personal challenges in order for the group to come together. I don't know that I'll need to see it again, but I'm enjoying it more than I might have expected.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
So Sentai will end up with all the poor CR licenses now instead of Funi. I guess they dodged a bullet there then.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Should’ve gotten Beelzebub in my opinion.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
We didn't need "Pro Girl™" nonsense from the Island of Yugogirl, a sovereign nation created by Oprah Winfrey in the 70's. We don't need or want pandering feminism in our entertainment. We want FEMDOM. Start out with these girls being the Goddesses of the sea, with 50 virgin male academy students being abused by them. But about space fishing or whatever. I think that's what this show was about. Somehow.

Note: And to be fair, either of these ideas would have the same outstanding results in saving the struggling space fishing industry.

Final Thought:

The show is a lot like Sakura Quest, if that show had two dimensional characters and thoroughly predictable plots, terrible animation, and was messed up by social justice writers. Oh, and the main thing that Sakura Quest can do:

It can suspend disbelief

You can forget where you are, and suddenly snap "back to reality" when watching Sakura Quest. Especially when the girls are in pain or messed up. You won't find that here

"Ha ha ha! I'm a badguy because I have a penis!" <--- you will find that.

No suspension of disbelief with this one. Not with feminist space fishing fantasy. It's simply not that good. Not with 1 dimensional "bad guy male" characters.

Basically, go watch Sakura Quest instead. It's ten times better than this crap. If you want to watch Amazing Women prove that women can do anything, and you don't want it to be pandering nonsense.

[Do not double-post ~Zalis]
Johnamine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
We didn't need "Pro Girl™" nonsense from the Island of Yugogirl, a sovereign nation created by Oprah Winfrey in the 70's. We don't need or want pandering feminism in our entertainment. We want FEMDOM. Start out with these girls being the Goddesses of the sea, with 50 virgin male academy students being abused by them. But about space fishing or whatever. I think that's what this show was about. Somehow.

Note: And to be fair, either of these ideas would have the same outstanding results in saving the struggling space fishing industry.

Why suddenly talk about politics? The show is bad, but it has nothing to do with politics. (Furthermore, the show is not "Pro Girl™" at all.)

Please don't politicize everything. I am tried of seeing another political flame war in another non-political board..
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This is to me further evidence that Sentai and Crunchyroll have some kind of partnership in the works.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
Feminists don't actually like this show. Or at least this one doesn't.
https://www.animefeminist.com/review-between-the-sky-and-sea-episode-1/

These are separate quotes from different parts of the article:
Quote:
"Do y’all remember the 90s? More specifically, the “Grrl Power” movement that suffused a lot of western (particularly American) media at the time? It was a particular kind of well-meaning-but-tryhard media, often written by men, that wanted to let you know that GIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING and they’re TOUGH AND INDEPENDENT…but along the way usually painted sexism in laughably two-dimensional terms and either failed to examine or outright perpetuated more subtle forms of sexism and misogyny."

"And the male antagonists are the type to loudly shout 'girls shouldn’t be allowed in this field!' so that the audience can pat themselves on the back and say 'well, I’m not that bad.'"

"The girls’ boss is the cherry on top, the only woman we’re shown in a position of authority…who is extremely emotional at the drop of a hat and repeatedly needs reigned in by her levelheaded male assistant. I’m still puzzling over her outburst at one of the recruits using 'boku'—is it because any kind of masculinity is a betrayal of The Cause? Because her assistant lightly touched the girl on the shoulder, and The EssJayDubyahs are calling any kind of friendly, innocuous touch sexual harassment? I’d like to know what kind of straw feminist I’m dealing with here, show."

"You did indeed try, show. I kind of wish you hadn’t."

The first few episodes were in 3-4 range but the last few have been more 6-7, thanks to less of the male characters and a temporary focus on the better three girls (the gray, mauve and green ones, I've actually learned their names somehow but who cares). I'm glad I'm watching it, but only because I like this kind of thing in general.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This is to me further evidence that Sentai and Crunchyroll have some kind of partnership in the works.

It does seem like they've slid rather easily into the gap left by Funimation. I figure it's only a matter of time before we see news that Sentai will be doing the home video release for Food Wars 3.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I swear this is the second thread I've seen on ANN turn into an anti-feminism rant in one day.
Between the Sky and Sea is an amusing enough show to keep me watching though it's not one of my top favorites of the season. I actually was drawn to the show in the first place by it's whacky space fishing premise. My biggest issue is the bickering between the girls can get a bit old fast but the characters have their charms when they start getting along more. Also why does the main character look like Honoka from Love Live?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
Final Thought:

The show is a lot like Sakura Quest, if that show had two dimensional characters and thoroughly predictable plots, terrible animation, and was messed up by social justice writers. Oh, and the main thing that Sakura Quest can do:

It can suspend disbelief

You can forget where you are, and suddenly snap "back to reality" when watching Sakura Quest. Especially when the girls are in pain or messed up. You won't find that here

"Ha ha ha! I'm a badguy because I have a penis!" <--- you will find that.

No suspension of disbelief with this one. Not with feminist space fishing fantasy. It's simply not that good. Not with 1 dimensional "bad guy male" characters.

Basically, go watch Sakura Quest instead. It's ten times better than this crap. If you want to watch Amazing Women prove that women can do anything, and you don't want it to be pandering nonsense.

I have seen SQ but not "Between the Sky and Sea". SQ is truly a great representation of adult anime women though I wish it it sold better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1