• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sword Art Online Franchise Opens Job Applications for Game, Anime, Spinoff Novel Writers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
It would seem that even after the Alicazation arc is finished, they are still planning to milk this franchise as much as they can, with new anime adaptions, new spin off books etc... Well it is to be expected, this is probably the best selling light novel franchise to have come out in recent years and regardless of how you feel about it, you can't ignore it's impact and popularity. However i feel this would eventually be it's downfall.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
It would seem that even after the Alicazation arc is finished, they are still planning to milk this franchise as much as they can, with new anime adaptions, new spin off books etc... Well it is to be expected, this is probably the best selling light novel franchise to have come out in recent years and regardless of how you feel about it, you can't ignore it's impact and popularity. However i feel this would eventually be it's downfall.

Of course they will!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Of course they will!

I mean The WN ended with Alicization but the LN is going past it (we're 2 volumes post AL already), so yeah, we've known that for a while. Tho in this case Kawahara himself says he wanted to write more of it.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Of course they will!

I mean The WN ended with Alicization but the LN is going past it (we're 2 volumes post AL already), so yeah, we've known that for a while. Tho in this case Kawahara himself says he wanted to write more of it.

What i mean by more Anime is that they will adapt more of the other spin offs like we had with GGO earlier this year, i doubt the next arc will be adapted anytime soon. If there is one thing i would defintly welcome, it would be an adaption of the progressive series. it would be nice to revist Aincrad and follow the story troughout the 2 years kirito was in it and see the development as it should of been floor by floor rather than all the time skips and jumps s1 had.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see a Progressive anime.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

The flipside to this is there is potential, as long as they have some decent quality control. I dare say the caveat "Detailed knowledge of the series is not an essential requirement" is there to give the new writers a bit more freedom, but given the nature of the SAO universe with the mechanic of The Seed, there is quite a range for spin offs, much like GGO
sayrrin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Someone @ Digibro. His time has come.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
No surprise there. While I may be indifferent to the series at best, Kawahara is an absolute machine with the amount he writes, and can craft a story and characters that appeal to a lot of people.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I just finish LN Progressive vol. 5 - Progressive anime would be awesome
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I would like see a anime adaptation of Progressive and Girls' Ops.

Oh since the article also says games, I would like to see a SAO game with Tales gameplay and/or one that is set in the original Light Novel/Anime continuity.
Bastille

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is so Kawahara can actually take a break, rather than Miki trying to wrestle control of SAO away from him. Regardless of what opinions one may have on the quality of SAO, it is still a golden goose because people will gobble it up. Kawahara was lucky to sign up with ASCII Media Works at a time when LN authors didn't have to give up too much to get published. As such, Kawahara likely still retains full creative control over the series as well as getting the lion's share of the royalties.

Kawahara has had minimal time to rest since SAO first had its anime announced all those years ago. It'd be nice to see him be able to take a vacation for once, instead of getting kanzume'd again for missing a deadline.
SubaruS22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
Regarding spin-offs, the "Clover's Regret" novels might be the next candidate for an adaptation which revolves around the japanese-themed MMO (within the universe) "Asuka Empire" which is also featured more often in recent events in the "Memory Defrag" mobile game.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The Fate franchise keeps churning out more spin offs and it's still bigger than ever so I think SAO will be fine. GGO Alternative was probably the most popular SAO series outside the hardcore fandom and I heard a lot from fans earlier this year how much more they enjoyed SAO without the main cast, so it makes sense they would want to invest more heavily in spin off series.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see what kind of spinoffs this might lead to, or possibly adaptions of the already released spinoffs (Girls Ops, Progressive, etc.).

I'm also curious what they might do for the next SAO game. They've done several variants of the SAO world, ALO, and GGO, but will they do an Alicization-based game next?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
What we really need is an SAO MMO game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2