• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TBS, Diomedea Cancel Production of Girlish Number Shura Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
No! Big loss here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
Not really surprising given that diomedea seems to be struggling this year (Beatless running into delays and Chio's School Road being delayed by 3 months from its planned Spring 2018 premiere). Better to have anime cancelled than having another "My Sister, My Writer" scenario again.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Not really surprising given that diomedea seems to be struggling this year (Beatless running into delays and Chio's School Road being delayed by 3 months from its planned Spring 2018 premiere). Better to have anime cancelled than having another "My Sister, My Writer" scenario again.

Diomedia has always been struggling, but it is amazing to see that rather just slog through and push out degraded quality to hit production deadlines; to delay a series a season or two, to just simply cancel it, or push back six months plus while moving to another studio, that the project was simply canned is something a bit different for Diomedia.

I expect in the years going forward that we're likely going to see that happen more often, and likely to more studios as most production levels have been unsustainable for the past several years, and getting worse.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

Diomedia has always been struggling, but it is amazing to see that rather just slog through and push out degraded quality to hit production deadlines; to delay a series a season or two, to just simply cancel it, or push back six months plus while moving to another studio, that the project was simply canned is something a bit different for Diomedia.

I expect in the years going forward that we're likely going to see that happen more often, and likely to more studios as most production levels have been unsustainable for the past several years, and getting worse.

They could do the other options, but it's possible that the production committee just decided to can the whole thing since the franchise is dead (LN is finished, anime had lukewarm sales), and they have nothing to promote. It's also possible that the project still hasn't moved beyond planning stage, since if several episodes are already started being produced then it will be a waste to can the whole thing barring some external factors (i.e.: controversy like that Chinese-slaying Isekai). Anyway, anything here is just mere speculation.

For the coming years, expect more and more anime to (1) experience production delays, (2) use massive amounts of CGI to save time, (3) have extremely rushed/low quality episodes in TV version (i.e. My Sister My Writer, Madchen Marchen, etc.) and/or (4) outsource heavily to other countries, since money is pouring into the industry from international streaming sites like CR/FUNi/Sentai/Netflix/Amazon as well as from Chinese companies like bilibili/IQYQI but with those money just trickling into the people themselves.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

They could do the other options, but it's possible that the production committee just decided to can the whole thing since the franchise is dead (LN is finished, anime had lukewarm sales), and they have nothing to promote. It's also possible that the project still hasn't moved beyond planning stage, since if several episodes are already started being produced then it will be a waste to can the whole thing barring some external factors (i.e.: controversy like that Chinese-slaying Isekai). Anyway, anything here is just mere speculation.

For the coming years, expect more and more anime to (1) experience production delays, (2) use massive amounts of CGI to save time, (3) have extremely rushed/low quality episodes in TV version (i.e. My Sister My Writer, Madchen Marchen, etc.) and/or (4) outsource heavily to other countries, since money is pouring into the industry from international streaming sites like CR/FUNi/Sentai/Netflix/Amazon as well as from Chinese companies like bilibili/IQYQI but with those money just trickling into the people themselves.

Yeah...I hate to admit it but in my opinion we've gotten a lot of very nice looking anime the last 5 years, which has likely left a lot of companies in the red. The industry seems to have lot of money problems in terms of what money goes where and how much money things make. Declining disc sales and trying to transition revenue else where has I imagine been a bit awkward as well.

However, I think you guys are getting a little bit into doomsayer territory. It's possible that we'll mostly reduce the quantity of anime. Which isn't a bad thing. Also there are cases like One Punch Man where if memory serves the anime didn't have a crazy budget but looked very nice because of the staff. I think things will somewhat balance out as more people in the industry gain experience and technology progresses. That's my hopeful view point and I think things will work out in some fashion, as they say life finds a way.

Last thing, I've noticed some series like GUP and Princess Principle switch to movie format for their future releases. Which I think is a solid strategy, give the staff more room to work and focus on one release for several months. Plus they're able to spread out the life of the series and keep steady hype for a longer period of time. Which should help things like merch sales I think.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

Last thing, I've noticed some series like GUP and Princess Principle switch to movie format for their future releases. Which I think is a solid strategy, give the staff more room to work and focus on one release for several months.

While I agree with you, I dislike that approach from a more selfish standpoint because of how western releases are handled. Movies are legally streamed substantially less often than series, and often have very long delays before release in the west.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

Last thing, I've noticed some series like GUP and Princess Principle switch to movie format for their future releases. Which I think is a solid strategy, give the staff more room to work and focus on one release for several months.

While I agree with you, I dislike that approach from a more selfish standpoint because of how western releases are handled. Movies are legally streamed substantially less often than series, and often have very long delays before release in the west.

I thought someone might mention this and from as selfish standpoint I don't disagree. Mainly I just wish the West handled series movie releases better, more steaming and theater releases. Less delays. Maybe one day we'll get that, but got now we can only dream. At least the wait is often worth it in my opinion, the movies I've anticipated have turned out at least pretty good, often even being great.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Better like this, instead of deliver a miserable product.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of ironic since the girls in the original Girlish Number were voice acting in an anime with a trouble production.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
yeah this just feels ironic to me
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, I'm disappointed, since this is something I would have liked to have watched. On the other hand, all up it's for the best they give it a miss if they know the production won't be up to scratch.

HoboSoup wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

I thought someone might mention this and from as selfish standpoint I don't disagree. Mainly I just wish the West handled series movie releases better, more steaming and theater releases. Less delays. Maybe one day we'll get that, but got now we can only dream.

I suspect the long delays are less the Western companies dragging their feet and more the Japanese companies not allowing any quicker because they're giving the local market priority.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
Kinda sad about the news. I like Trash-chan. She was hilarious and really wanted to see more of the story (even though this is an alternative take).

I guess I'll have to wait for the LNs to get more of that adorable trashy-san.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't make sense just to put the show on-line?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1