• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim, Crunchyroll Produce Blade Runner — Black Lotus Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Now comes the part where I completely ignore anime fandom before, during and after this thing premieres.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kenji Kamiyama, Shinji Aramaki

Uh oh. CGI?
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Now comes the part where I completely ignore anime fandom before, during and after this thing premieres.

Basically me 90% of the time with anime
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:

Uh oh. CGI?
Sola Digital Arts. Of course CGI.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:

Uh oh. CGI?
Sola Digital Arts. Of course CGI.

2D/CG hybrid
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1068196091756257286
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:

Uh oh. CGI?

Shinji Aramaki has worked on a ton of old-school cyberpunk stuff that had nothing to do with CGI so his name alone doesn't imply much, but since this is Sola Digital Arts I'd imagine there will be CGI in it.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, my heart skipped a beat when I read this news. Blade Runner is my favorite film ever and having an anime series about it is a dream come true for me. I loved the blackout short that came out last year and for a momment there I thought we would be getting a full series with the same level (which pretty much would be automatically anime of the decade for me) but then I read about the CGI thing and my heart was crushed...hopefully they can pull off a good blend of 2d and CGI but I guess I'll have to lower my expectations a bit.
In any case, really looking forward to this
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Make it happen. As a fan of both Blade Runner movies, the shorts, of Cyberpunk Anime, and really, of anime overall, please make it happen.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
but then I read about the CGI thing and my heart was crushed...hopefully they can pull off a good blend of 2d and CGI but I guess I'll have to lower my expectations a bit.
In any case, really looking forward to this

Eh, I'd rather it be 2D too, but the CGI doesn't ruin it for me. Ghost in the Shell Innocence had a ton of CGI and that movie was a masterpiece IMO, so it certainly can be done well.

Now, if they pull some crap like Initial D then I'll be upset, but given today's CGI tech I doubt that will be the case.
insomniaq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Inb4 the second Berserk 2016. This project just screams high ambition but low production values to me. Sorry but "anime CGI" still looks worse than most ps3 CGI cutscenes and the ps3 is more than a DECADE old.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Blade Runner Black Out 2022 is one of the greatest short films of all time and this franchisee has a stellar record, outside of the novel sequels. I don´t know if anime fans will care about this project but this is the greatest anime news of the year, outside of the Pluto and Vinland Saga announcement. Godspeed Sola Digital Arts, you make nice looking things as long as the funding is there. Now if BL 2049 didn´t flop so hard...
Honestly, who funded this anime? A true angel of the arts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
insomniaq wrote:
Inb4 the second Berserk 2016. This project just screams high ambition but low production values to me. Sorry but "anime CGI" still looks worse than most ps3 CGI cutscenes and the ps3 is more than a DECADE old.

Don't go blasting the CGI company without seeing if they really are as bad as GEMBA (the Bersek producers) like you so claim.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
At the very least if the characters and there action sequences are in 2d I'll accept it. It's always better when theres no cg whatsoever but whatever. Doing my best not to get my Hope's up.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what happened to their new Ghost in the Shell collaboration? Kenji Kamiyama and Shinji Aramaki were supposedly working on the next iteration of Ghost in the Shell at Production I.G. last year. (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-06/ghost-in-the-shell-gets-new-anime-from-kenji-kamiyama-shinji-aramaki/.114481)

Anyway, Adult Swim/Toonami said a while back they were working on more collaboration projects post-FLCL Season 2 and 3. I guess this is one of them. I can see why they'd try this particular project given the short anime, but I can't say it's something I was looking for. I kind of get the same feelings I do when I think about turning Cowboy Bebop into a live-action series. No offense, but it seems sort of superfluous at this point. I mean, if we're talking about new Blade Runner-esque stuff right now in the world of anime, why not a new Bubblegum Crisis or A.D. Police update? That's just as valid a route to take.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
No offense, but it seems sort of superfluous at this point. I mean, if we're talking about new Blade Runner-esque stuff right now in the world of anime, why not a new Bubblegum Crisis or A.D. Police update? That's just as valid a route to take.

Agreed, though I see those as equally valid choices. They just picked one and it happened to be Blade Runner.

I'd love a new take on Bubblegum Crisis or AD Police files, just as long as they don't screw it up like they did the last entries in both of those franchises. BGC 2040 and AD Police Protect and Serve were both nowhere near as good as the originals. I know BGC had issues where they couldn't get the original character design rights, but now that one company owns the rights that problem shouldn't exist anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3