• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya: Saintia Shō Anime Reveals Promo Video, More Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote
I want to like this but... when honestly was the last time an entry in the Saint Seiya franchise not been deeply mediocre at best?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I want to like this but... when honestly was the last time an entry in the Saint Seiya franchise not been deeply mediocre at best?

This show is being produced by GONZO. Not to mention, GONZO is doing 3 shows this season (Hinomaru, Conception, and Tiaramisu). If anything, don't expect anything out of this.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Zeino wrote:

This show is being produced by GONZO. Not to mention, GONZO is doing 3 shows this season (Hinomaru, Conception, and Tiaramisu). If anything, don't expect anything out of this.

No it isn't, just the director is from Gonzo. The production is Toei Animation.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
If they are retaining the voice-actors from the Hades OVAs,why did they still recast Saori?
Enturax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'll pass, too many stereotypical shoujo vibes. At least it's not canon(?).
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:
I'll pass, too many stereotypical shoujo vibes. At least it's not canon(?).

I think it's canon, I want though a confirmation, but the style is clearly a Shingo Araki Saint Seiya aesthetic.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Nope. TOEI acts as producers on the series and is doing the planning, but the animation is being done by Gonzo, is says as much on the Official Site.

https://saintia-sho.com/pc/

アニメーション制作:GONZO
=> Animation Production: GONZO

This is literally the first time TOEI is producing a Saint Seiya anime is not having the animation done in-house.

Quote:
I think it's canon,

It isn't.

Only Masami Kurumada's original manga and Next Dimension are canon. Basically every spin-off manga is its own continuity gravitating around the original manga.

The TOEI anime DOES have its own continuity (Original Series => Hades => Soul of Gold => Tenkai => Omega) but it's separate from the actual canon. I'm not sure if Saintia Shô will fit within it because some aspect are just plain inconsistent with the original serie due to all the changes it made from the original manga.

-Sergorn
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
This is literally the first time TOEI is producing a Saint Seiya anime is not having the animation done in-house.

Second time, there was also Soul of Gold that was done at studio Bridge.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The-animation-is-a-lot-of-cr*p!
ballinamon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ballinamon wrote:
The-designs-are-a-lot-of-cr*p!
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Nope. TOEI acts as producers on the series and is doing the planning, but the animation is being done by Gonzo, is says as much on the Official Site.

https://saintia-sho.com/pc/

アニメーション制作:GONZO
=> Animation Production: GONZO

Quote:
I think it's canon,

It isn't.

Only Masami Kurumada's original manga and Next Dimension are canon. Basically every spin-off manga is its own continuity gravitating around the original manga.

The TOEI anime DOES have its own continuity (Original Series => Hades => Soul of Gold => Tenkai => Omega) but it's separate from the actual canon. I'm not sure if Saintia Shô will fit within it because some aspect are just plain inconsistent with the original serie due to all the changes it made from the original manga.

-Sergorn

I can confirm that the lore isn't really consistent to count it as canon and I've been reading since chapter 1 of this manga. Anything Kuramada didn't have a hand in isn't canon mangawise. Currently, that only consists of the original manga and Next Dimension which is years later after the main series' end. Saintia Sho does it's own thing though it meshes with the main story a little bit with some of the main cast being "there"(mostly Gold Saints pre-Hades arc, Unicorn Jabu and Seiya in a few flashbacks), but mostly focuses on Athena & the new heroines fighting their own battles. Also for the anime canon, the movie with the Asgardians is now considered canon because Soul of Gold retconned it in and it even was turned into a filler arc in the anime too.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Second time, there was also Soul of Gold that was done at studio Bridge.

Note quite the same : Soul of Gold was a collaboration with TOEI and Bridge, with part of the work being outsourced to Bridge (who is mostly known for outsourcing really)

Animation Production: Toei Animation
Animation Production Assistance: Bridge

So outsourcing is nothing new. (Some outsourcing was done on the CG film as well). And considering how much was redrawn and changed between the web release of the series and the DVD/BD version, I'd suspect Bridge did most of the crap shots.

In this case though it appears the animation is solely done at Gonzo. So that's a big step further.

Quote:
I can confirm that the lore isn't really consistent to count it as canon and I've been reading since chapter 1 of this manga. Anything Kuramada didn't have a hand in isn't canon mangawise.

Well it's Kurumada who came up with the concept and premise of Saintia Shô, though as is his habit, he chose to give free reigns to the mangaka doing the spin off work and his role doesn't go past giving advice to the earlier chapters or whenever one of of the other mangaka asks.

And while the premise feels a bit shoehorned, it actually DOES remains consistent with the original manga.

Quote:
Also for the anime canon, the movie with the Asgardians is now considered canon because Soul of Gold retconned it in and it even was turned into a filler arc in the anime too.

The Asgard movie never was canon - it always was had out of continuity gaiden like all the other films. It DID however serves as an inspiration for the Asgard TV arc, and this arc always remained in the anime continuity, just like all the other fillers.

That's really why it's important to consider to manga and the anime has separate canons : way too many differences to fit.

-Sergorn
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1