• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this one!
Too bad it got overshadowed by other shows.
Shows I wish it topped in viewership and so fourth.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Is it safe to say this is the best anime NAZ ever made?

I mean, Hamatora somehow got a D from its reviewer a while back, I haven't heard a whole lot beyond negative reception for the DRAMAtical Murder adaptation, TWIA ripped My First Girlfriend is a Gal a new one, and the less said about My Sister, My Writer, the better.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
This show wasn’t my most favorite series of last season, but I still generally had a decent time with it. Since the manga is still ongoing, I’m wondering if there could be another season to this series. That would be nice if it can be possible.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
I found the faux-parchment filter extremely annoying. It remained static while the images moved beneath it. If they had overlaid the filter onto the background, it would have been much less annoying. To see how parchment filters should be used watch Nakamura Kenji's Apothecary shows like Mononoke.

I grew to ignore the filter as the weeks passed and enjoyed this show quite a bit. I might have given it a B+ because of the historical material. I knew nothing of this event in Japanese history beforehand.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I personally didn't find the filter to be that distracting. It just felt a bit too gimmicky but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the show any and I could understand what they were trying to do with it. I really enjoyed Anglomois and I thought it was one of the more under-rated shows of the summer season. I really liked learning about their culture and the political conflicts and the characters were always engaging and I liked the action a lot. I also wouldn't mind a second season of it since the first season left open the room for more and I believe the manga is still on going. I have my doubts we will get a second season though since it didn't seem like that many fans were watching it.
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Really enjoyed this one!

I have no doubt that if you enjoyed this show, you will LOVE Vinland Saga when it comes out in 2019
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
MeisterMitch wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Really enjoyed this one!

I have no doubt that if you enjoyed this show, you will LOVE Vinland Saga when it comes out in 2019

Looks like a promising series, but my personal preference is stories set in feudal Japan, namely in the Kamakura and Muromachi period.
Shows and games set in the Sengoku period and such is kind of overdone, I'd like to see more shows set in a more older setting.

But I do like seeing European setting shows from time to time.
Though I kinda wish we saw some Islamic Caliphate themed anime. Now that would be a spectacle!
Like one set during the Battle of Talas.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Shows and games set in the Sengoku period and such is kind of overdone, I'd like to see more shows set in a more older setting.

If you've not seen Hyouge Mono, you should give it a try. It's like no other Sengoku-period show you've seen.

Quote:
But I do like seeing European setting shows from time to time.
Though I kinda wish we saw some Islamic Caliphate themed anime. Now that would be a spectacle!

Arslan Senki is set in Persia if you're interested.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
The filter didn't annoy me, but I did notice it at times when I think the creators intention was for it to just subtly be in the background.

The first show I noticed something like this in was Sengoku Collection, but they only used it for backgrounds and their effect was just to make the background look like it was drawn on paper so it was kinda subtle and blended in pretty well. I think this show would have benefited had they kept their effect to only backgrounds as well. Here it seemed like a glitch. Like when anime "fills" clothing with a background pattern, but it's really just like a masking effect so the clothes might be blowing in the wind, but the pattern is static so it really stands out immediately as odd because it doesn't make sense for how patterns on fabric move.

Outside of that, I thought this show was pretty solid. Unfortunate that it was with Golden Kamuy. I think it's easy to look at that as being *kinda like this* but better.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Is it safe to say this is the best anime NAZ ever made?

I mean, Hamatora somehow got a D from its reviewer a while back, I haven't heard a whole lot beyond negative reception for the DRAMAtical Murder adaptation, TWIA ripped My First Girlfriend is a Gal a new one, and the less said about My Sister, My Writer, the better.

Whoever reviewed Hamatora was being generous, IMO. It didn't survive the obligatory three-episode trial with me for several reasons. First, the character designs were "OMG, What drugs are you using?" bad. Second, the apparent experimentation with synthetic hallucinogens by the artistic staff must also have been responsible for the choice of color palate used in the flash screen whenever one of the characters activated their powers. Third, said powers were completely cheesy. Fourth, said characters, as I recall, dimly, were checklist tropes. The full name of the series was Hamatora: The Animation, but by the third ep I was calling it "Hematoma: The Abomination" because I could feel the blood pooling in the base of my brain pan as I watched it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1