• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's New Anime Film Reveals Title, Story, July 19 Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
https://www.tenkinoko.com/

Not too much info about it yet other than a few short sentences on their website
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:21 am Reply with quote
I loved your name, but I doubt this could movie could reach those heights. The plot sounds wierd, and has dampened my expectations. The plot probably sounds better in Japanese.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
I loved your name, but I doubt this could movie could reach those heights. The plot sounds wierd, and has dampened my expectations. The plot probably sounds better in Japanese.

Eh, This seems more interesting than Keit-Ai. I'm interested on what they Shinkai going to do with the story. It could be a 100 or a 0
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:11 am Reply with quote
Just hope this isn't yet another "long-distance relationships suck" gimmick with a fantasy element as past Shinkai films have milked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
What would a Shinkai movie be without cloud/weather themes? Even if it's not "as good" as Your Name, I'm sure this'll be another good one from the man!
ericarreza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 am Reply with quote
Twitter got the news early before ANN posted it just a few hours ago & it became a trending topic today, not only in Japan but worldwide as well written on this text as 天気の子. You could check it out! Wink

Well I hope this latest work of Makoto Shinkai will be more promising than Your Name & I'll wait for the release next year since it'll be release it worldwide. Hopefully, it will not be Funimation for the distribution of Tenki no Ko (Weathering With You) for North America but maybe if either of these Hollywood film company like Fox, Paramount, Universal, Lionsgate, etc. should be the distribution rights for that film worldwide so that it'll definitely recognize his works & it'll become a marketing success unlike Your Name/Kimi No Nawa. And maybe in 2 years from now, it'll finally get an Oscars & Golden Globe nod for best Animated Featured Film, so cross our fingers for that. Smile

Quote:
He lives his days in isolation, but finally finds a job as a writer for a shady occult magazine.

Hmmm... Fake News anyone? Laughing
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
yay! sooner than I expected! cannot wait!

the rain is going to look amazing
r0verandom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

the rain is going to look amazing

Really the only thing I'm looking forward too.

Story and characters will probably be as weak as in his other movies.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
If there is to be more body-swapping in this one then I shall simply go home.
(I am home already but the point still stands.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
What kind of plot, oh well, we'll see.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Kurohayabusa wrote:
Not too much info about it yet other than a few short sentences on their website

And despite lack of information, the smug one-sentence dismissals of Shinkai's entire career, both past and future, have already arrived. Were those always a thing, or did they appear after Your Name? I can't remember.

If it's coming out that soon, it must be almost done already; they sure were secretive about the whole thing, this is the first I've heard that Shinkai had even decided what his next movie would be about. He's yet to produce anything I didn't like, but hopefully there won't be too much disappointment when it doesn't become as popular as, well, y'know. Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, and all that. (Although space rocks can, apparently...)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Kurohayabusa wrote:
https://www.tenkinoko.com/Not too much info about it yet other than a few short sentences on their website
Well, here is what Google Translate Says (thanks for the link, so we know a girl has a private chef and the boy Saikako meets a sailor...gotta love Google...)

This is a story about the secret of the world that only I and she knows
The new work "Child of the Weather", in the era when the harmony of weather goes mad,
A story that a boy and a girl who is toppled in fate "choose" their own way of living.
A young boy who came to Tokyo, a sailor met, a girl with mysterious power and a chef.
The story of two love is beautiful, painful, every generation that will have a new era,
And it is drawn as a message to the whole world.

STORY
"I wanted to go in that light"

High 1 summer. A sail high arriving in Tokyo from the isolated island.
But life is quickly in need, work finally found at the end of the lonely days,
It was a dubious occult magazine's writer business.

As suggesting his future, rain keeps falling all day.
Meanwhile, in a corner of a crowded city, Saikako encounters a girl.

A girl who has a certain circumstance, a girl who is lively and brightly living with his younger brother and live chefs.
She had a strange ability.

"Hey, it will be fine now"

Rain stops little by little, the cityscape that shines beautifully.
It was the ability to clear the sky just by praying - Razz
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying Makoto Shinkai's works since I first saw The Garden of Words when it came out a few years ago. To me Your Name is one of the best anime titles of the past decade. Even if it's not as good as Your Name, I'm still looking forward to seeing what Shinkai does next. I doubt a major Hollywood studio would license Weathering Into You but hopefully it will be someone like GKids who generally does a good job of marketing their anime films and making them as accessible as possible to a wide audience.
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Makoto Shinkai is becoming a new legend in anime and can't wait for this movie to come to America. I hope GKIDS will get USA rights to this new amazing film and if Mirai becomes the first non Studio Ghibli anime film nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature this coming year. Then anime filmmakers are going to up their game and I hope this will also have a premiere at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival as well.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
Here's what I'd noticed about the title of the latest work of Makoto Shinkai, although there's an alternative English title of the movie, Tenki no Ko besides Weathering With You are: The Weathering Child, Child of the Weather & Weathering Into You.

Probably this is a coincidence but the movie title might be inspired from a song by the Australian rock group, Crowded House & the title of that song is Weather With You. You could hear their song from this video link & it might be related to it? https://youtu.be/ag8XcMG1EX4

Maybe if those rock band should make a comment about this if they knew about the news & if they'd watched it on a theatrical release. Also maybe if that song should be a theme song for this one, and that will be nice since it's very melodic. Wink

Quote:
Makoto Shinkai is becoming a new legend in anime and can't wait for this movie to come to America. I hope GKIDS will get USA rights to this new amazing film and if Mirai becomes the first non Studio Ghibli anime film nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature this coming year. Then anime filmmakers are going to up their game and I hope this will also have a premiere at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival as well.

That will be nice & also if his latest work should beat Toy Story 4 next year since you know what Disney is, they're very dominant on animated films both at the box office earnings & awards like the *greedy* Oscars for more than 20 years. It'll be a David vs. Goliah match between these two.[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2