• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Never-Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki will make a new film, retire again and then come back again to make yet another film and have another another documentary made about him until he dies.
nitrorcman189

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I get that Miyazaki has a dislike for CGI, but how do you connect a barely working 3D animated project to one of your disabled friends? That is a naive thing to do. He could of explained that the CGI was not his taste, and left it as that.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
nitrorcman189 wrote:
I get that Miyazaki has a dislike for CGI, but how do you connect a barely working 3D animated project to one of your disabled friends? That is a naive thing to do. He could of explained that the CGI was not his taste, and left it as that.

I think you don't get the connection, and honestly, I've seen comments like this again and again and they don't make any sense if you put them into the context. He didn't complain about the CGI as a technology, but about what the people did with it. They obviously wanted to use their AI stuff for some kind of grotesque zombie-like movement, but Miyazaki being a man of the 60s with strong values and opinions, is grossed out (also because it reminds him of his disabled friend) and doesn't see why something like this should be used for entertainment purposes. He sees no value in it and tells the youngsters to reevaluate their worldviews. He clearly is very judgmental, and you can call him narrow-minded or overly stubborn, but him disliking CGI is clearly not the reason and I honestly don't understand why anyone would come to that conclusion.
nitrorcman189

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="Blackiris_"]
nitrorcman189 wrote:

I think you don't get the connection, and honestly, I've seen comments like this again and again and they don't make any sense if you put them into the context. He didn't complain about the CGI as a technology, but about what the people did with it. They obviously wanted to use their AI stuff for some kind of grotesque zombie-like movement, but Miyazaki being a man of the 60s with strong values and opinions, is grossed out (also because it reminds him of his disabled friend) and doesn't see why something like this should be used for entertainment purposes. He sees no value in it and tells the youngsters to reevaluate their worldviews. He clearly is very judgmental, and you can call him narrow-minded or overly stubborn, but him disliking CGI is clearly not the reason and I honestly don't understand why anyone would come to that conclusion.

I'll will admit, they called the wrong person to look at their 3D CGI project. Having someone such as Hideo Kojima or someone similar look at their project would have been better. Having Miyazaki look over it was a bad move.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:04 am Reply with quote
There is something missing from the story of Studio Ghibli's adoption of digital techniques by not mentioning My Neighbours The Yamadas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1