• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: planetarian BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
The movie was a bit of an oddity since it ends up being basically the whole ONA. Honestly, I think someone could watch that on its own with no problems. I was originally going to watch the ONA again beforehand since it's only five episodes, but when I noticed the run time was longer than the five episodes put together, I figured something was up.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I bought this show sight unseen, based solely on word-of-mouth. And I was NOT disappointed.

A wonderful story, tautly told with admirable restraint, with two engaging characters, one human, one not. I can't recommend this little show enough.

And the fact that it's an ONA gives me hope that planetarian can inspire other quality, short-form works with an internet-first distribution.
zakwiz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the anime, but I played the visual novel for the first time last week, and I was really disappointed. It felt like the story should have been about how Junker came around to helping Yumemi, but instead it literally hardcut directly from him leaving in frustration to him repairing Jena. I really liked Clannad, so not liking it was a real bummer.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aside from that, and some occasionally clumsy adaptive script choices (“”we live here, awaiting our imminent doom” is not a line any human would ever speak)

But wouldn't it be perfectly reasonable for someone who has given up on their future or all hope to say that?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Aside from that, and some occasionally clumsy adaptive script choices (“”we live here, awaiting our imminent doom” is not a line any human would ever speak)

But wouldn't it be perfectly reasonable for someone who has given up on their future or all hope to say that?

It's a very romanticized & dramatic way of speaking that just doesn't sound natural. Personally, while I haven't seen Planetarian, I love that kind of speak when it fits the style of the story (or even when it's used as a joke), and I'd imagine that an ONA based on a game made by Key would be a perfect place for a line like that.

Still, I fully understand where Nick is coming from, because he's right: Nobody in real life would speak like that. Good thing this is a fictional, post-apocalyptic world created by people who like to make things dramatic, so while I understand his complaint I don't fully agree that it'd be a problem here.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Watched the series and OVA, this was a masterpiece.

Made me cry a lot, I loved Planetarian.

10/10
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
planetarian's five episode running time essentially demands it tell its story as crisply and efficiently as possible

The limitation is really the source material, not the adaptation's runtime. The VN only takes about five hours to play, maybe not even that, and doesn't branch. This isn't one of those longer-than-War-and-Peace epics like Clannad. There isn't anything of importance in the VN that isn't on screen in the anime.

EDIT: Apparently, I should start citing Umineko and Higurashi as the examples of long-ass VNs. Clannad is only 7th on this Giant Bomb list of the longest video game scripts (BTW, careful of the "Encyclopedia Gamia" source that it links to; it's totally malware).

Last edited by invalidname on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I think this was an excellent adaptation of the Planetarian Kinetic Novel.
I also recommend people actually go out and play the Visual Novel.. the timing is just right, and timing is probably my biggest bone to pick with this adaptation.

The Movie.. was exactly as described.. the beginning and the very end are the only original story elements.. the rest is a recap of the ONA.

As for music.. this is one of my favorite anime soundtracks... and "Hoshi Meguri no Uta" is right up there in my all time Favorite anisong list.
Slashman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...this show brought tears... *SIGH*
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
How does planetarian compare to Girls' Last Tour? I haven't seen this show though I've always heard a lot of high praise for it but I'm getting some Girls' Last Tour type of vibes from this review.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
Glad to see a positive review for this series. I really enjoyed what they did. I'm surprised by the low grade for the musical score there are some beautiful and memorable tracks in here. The production was because of the web only bit.

zakwiz wrote:
I haven't watched the anime, but I played the visual novel for the first time last week, and I was really disappointed. It felt like the story should have been about how Junker came around to helping Yumemi, but instead it literally hardcut directly from him leaving in frustration to him repairing Jena. I really liked Clannad, so not liking it was a real bummer.

That's too bad. Though I don't feel like there was much he could do to help her with everything that was happening. Though, planetarian does have a totally different tone than Clannad or other previous games the most notable, is Jun Maeda, did nothing in this game. Not even the music (where he also shines). He was the main writer for Clannad, so that would explain a bit. Also there's a robot instead of other humans. I feel the anime did a great portrayal and made some fun changes.

invalidname wrote:
There isn't anything of importance in the VN that isn't on screen in the anime.
I disagree, especially the way they address spoiler[the orbs in the anime. If they were to physically show Tomoya collecting these after each route it would have made a better implication, rather than only the handful they had shown. Hands down, would've highlighted the foreshadowing that in in the game. Minor bits would also to include Tomoya kissing Nagisa, it feels odd to exclude that part the romance.]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
Well friend Cardcaptor, it's your lucky day because I've seen and absolutely love both. About the only commonality between them is that they are set in post-apocalyptic worlds that seem headed for a bad end. Basically the stories are studies in aspects of the human condition given the dire setting but tell different things.

I hope I can keep from spoiling by saying that *planetarian to me is a story of how a hopeless cynic is redeemed by a person (Yumemi) with unbounded hope who appreciates that there is good to be found and things to treasure even in a world as broken as they inhabit even if it means that one must create that good thing. Most emblematic is the replica of a long since vanished flower bouquet she made with skillfully selected and arranged wires and bits of colored metal Yumemi gives the Junker in honor of being the XX'th visitor to the planetarium. That he really isn't the XX'th is beside the point. The Junker comes to find something to treasure of his own and appreciates what Yumemi does.

GLT on the other hand I'd characterize as a more broad philosophical rumination on aspects of "the human condition", what life is about, if anything is worthwhile in a ruined world including maintaining the will not to "roll over" and die. Also bundled with some understated but pointed and impactful commentary. The story doesn't flat-out tell you these things, you discover them through Chi and Yuu's exploits, discoveries and interactions. (BTW possibly named because they reference approximately "life" and "spirit") They are on a journey to survive and along the way come to appreciate each other's major differences, discover things like what music and art are in a world otherwise totally devoid of both and ultimately find that even if the world is ending, going down with it is a choice.

An emblematic moment toward the end of the show is where they accidentally come across a battle robot and not knowing what it is Yuu in typical fashion starts pushing buttons and sets a portion of the city ablaze. Giddy at the unexpected power, Yuu laughs and wants to do more but Chi seriously hits her and exclaims "it's not funny!". Yuu sullenly kicks the control panel and chides "bad robot, see what you did" to which Chi somewhat more gently reminds "Yuu, YOU did this, it was you". That the controls were in English where all the rest of the items they find are labeled in Japanese is a cute comment in itself.

Anyway, these two shows touched me personally in different ways and I'd say both are not to be missed. Hopefully you enjoy them as much as I. Smile
Azumi14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote
I personal love Planetarian. I think that Keiko Suzuki voice Yumemi perfectly. I also thought the music was a ten. I went and brought the music CD for Planetarian and I wish they include Gentle Jena in the music in the anime. There are a few version of Gentle Jena but there is one that is very beautiful song to me. I read the visual novel and watch the anime. The story stuck with me and I did cry. For me the best part is the relationship between Yumemi and Kuzuya. I really happy they finally release Planetarian on Blu Ray. I give Planetarian a ten.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:11 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
invalidname wrote:
There isn't anything of importance in the VN that isn't on screen in the anime.
I disagree, especially the way they address… [spoiler block]

Sorry, you misunderstood. I was referring to how there’s nothing in the Planetarian VN that isn’t in the anime, owing to how short and straightforward the source VN is.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
zakwiz wrote:

He found respite from the Rain in the shopping mall. Repairing Jenna gave him something to do to put his mind on something else for a bit (and also got Yumemi to shut up for a small amount of time which was high on the motivational scale at the time). There didn't need to be any coming around given his situation. He came from hell, where he has live among scraps of a ruined and long-dead society and fighting off any mechanical or human threat, to a tiny patch of the old world where he could put his mind at ease for a tiny bit. There didn't need to be any other "coming around" than that at all and I felt the VN carries the flow of events rather well.

This was a solid adaptation. While there are a few things I would personally change about it, it still manages to get across the most important facets of the story and has the same emotional impact as its source.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2