• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The New Baki Anime is Criminally Insane

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cab329

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I do have to give credit to this show. Most shows would try and restart at the beginning or maybe do an episode recapping everything while this show is here for fans or people who just want to see the most over the top fights.

Overall I’m not sure how much I actually like it but I definitely easn’t Bored watching it. The convict fights were utterly insane and I loved how they kept subverting my expectations (“Spek specifically calls out Baki for a fight, okay, so he’s clearly going to remain unbeaten until he fights Baki, NOPE!” Hobo Santa has a past history with another fighter so clearly that fighter will...NOPE!)
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Surprised there's been so little fanfare for Troy Baker's return to anime. After half a decade of being too cool for Japanese cartoons he finally returns as Baki. Though his fame probably got him upgraded from side character Kato to the leading man Baki, he probably would have more dialogue as Kato in these 13 episodes lol
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Surprised there's been so little fanfare for Troy Baker's return to anime. After half a decade of being too cool for Japanese cartoons he finally returns as Baki. Though his fame probably got him upgraded from side character Kato to the leading man Baki, he probably would have more dialogue as Kato in these 13 episodes lol

Apparently the reason for why he doesn’t voice much anime is cause he’s union & per contract he can’t be in any non-union productions.

So this means Netflix has enough moolah to afford union voice-actors. I mean they also got Goddamn Steve Blum (who has mostly done Western productions these past years) to voice Doppo Orochi & as always he sounds beautiful.

Man I hope Netflix is able to keep these guys onboard for future productions. I’d love to hear them in shows like Kengan Ashura.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Baki has always been completely bonkers and that is why it’s so fun.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:

This is what happens when you don't publicly announce your dub casts prior to premiere date.

It's very similar to some video games where the only way most people find out who voices what is when fans check the credits at the end (if credited at all) or the VAs themselves announce their roles on social media the day of release. It's no different here except in some cases like Baki, fans find out a day or week early because of Netflix Japan posting them in their credits.

To go off-topic, It's probably a good thing the news about the Evangelion redubs came out because imagine the response had it stayed quiet until the day it goes up...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
So basically New Fist of the North Star 2.0?
scriver058

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It's utterly insane, I love it! The convicts so far are in the running for best, most piece of shit villains I've ever seen in an anime. Hobo Santa is especially evil!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1