• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Also Stream Boogiepop and Others Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
On their website it says "simuldub tba" same with Spec-ops Asuka.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I'll never understand how they can call it "simul" when it takes weeks or months. That defies definition of the world.

I'm in this for Kensuke Ushio. I watched the first anime back in the day and found it very forgettable. I hope this one is good.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop making a comeback is a dream come true.
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I'll never understand how they can call it "simul" when it takes weeks or months. That defies definition of the world.

I'm in this for Kensuke Ushio. I watched the first anime back in the day and found it very forgettable. I hope this one is good.

VAs only got some time to complete that episode of the dub for it to be uploaded to FunimationNOW. It's only close to the Japanese date as it can be, because of themselves or the licensor. There are some exceptions...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

because work begins on each episode as soon as they receive it.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Technically a subbed simulcast isn't simultaneous if it's delayed by an hour or more after the Japanese broadcast, as most are.

I'm fine with a dub being considered a "simuldub" if it comes out mostly during the same season as the sub, that is, delayed by about a month or less. More than that is really stretching it, for example Netflix's one-day releases three or four months after the show's beginning are not "simuldubs" in my opinion, even if the dub studio did start work on them as the episodes came out. Or I could say that the work itself was a simuldub, but the release was not.
Toonces

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
This was one of the shows I was really hoping would get a dub, so I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Hopefully the show is popular this season and more people pick up the light novels.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Your "simuldub tba" comments reminds of when Funi put "Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai" on their simuldub line-up for last season. Yes, that show's entry clearly says "subbed". Yes, I know it is Aniplex of America who holds the rights to give that show a possible an Eng. dub. Yes, if AoA did give that show an Eng. dub, they might use the L.A. talent pool. However, I still don't get Funi would put that show under "FALL 2018 SIMULDUB [trademark sign] SEASON" label. If it that Funi page was called "FALL 2018 SIMULCAST SEASON", that would make more sense.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
That is quite a staff of people. It's been a good decade and a half since I watched Phantom, so I'm really excited to see what they can do with the state of things in today's industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1