• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rising of The Shield Hero Anime Listed With 25 Episodes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote
Yay! Many episodes for us misogynists!

Talking seriously, I think we already knew it would be 2 cour but it is good to have confirmation of the number of episodes and with this I hope they take their time and will be a good adaptation without rush things, I really liked the first episode.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
I second that emotion (was going to say something similar). And we might find the red-head is involved with some backdoor dealings that were nebulously hinted at in a dialog snippet that the Shield Hero was key to something (maybe disgruntled neighboring kingdom wants to sabotage the team?) and the author actually doesn't hate women...

If there was something here I can relate to is that what Myne did is striking similar to stuff I have seen done in many office environments and by corporate execs. And that most of the girls line up behind the hottest guy, tell me that never happens in real life and is just a sign of a pervasively misogynistic mindset...Looking forward to what could shape up to be an interesting show.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
and the author actually doesn't hate women...

I was going to avoid this topic because I had hopes that the plot would actually take what it made in episode 1 and build on it in a positive and meaningful way. But I read ahead and it just gets worse. Spoilers for way ahead, not sure if it will be covered by the anime or not since pacing could change. spoiler[ Shield Hero literally says his "heart is put at ease" as he watches a woman get raped and murdered]. Just watching episode 1 it may be too early to assume the author is a misogynist, though there are many signs. But the more I read of the LN the more clear it becomes. The story reads like a self-insert fantasy of an extreme misogynist. The later events are impossible to defend and I hope the anime gets that far just so I can watch the attempts people make to defend such vileness.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
I thought this was known already. But either way It certainly deserves it. It's one of the more popular LNs out there and the hour-long premier episode was a indicator they have high faith in the series.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
since pacing could change. spoiler[ Shield Hero literally says his "heart is put at ease" as he watches a woman get raped and murdered]. Just watching episode 1 it may be too early to assume the author is a misogynist, though there are many signs. But the more I read of the LN the more clear it becomes. The story reads like a self-insert fantasy of an extreme misogynist. The later events are impossible to defend and I hope the anime gets that far just so I can watch the attempts people make to defend such vileness.

Doesn't it seem like a leap in logic to assume because a character in a fictional work acts a certain way it's a reflection of the author?
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I was going to avoid this topic because I had hopes that the plot would actually take what it made in episode 1 and build on it in a positive and meaningful way. But I read ahead and it just gets worse. Spoilers for way ahead, not sure if it will be covered by the anime or not since pacing could change. spoiler[ Shield Hero literally says his "heart is put at ease" as he watches a woman get raped and murdered]. Just watching episode 1 it may be too early to assume the author is a misogynist, though there are many signs. But the more I read of the LN the more clear it becomes. The story reads like a self-insert fantasy of an extreme misogynist. The later events are impossible to defend and I hope the anime gets that far just so I can watch the attempts people make to defend such vileness.

Is the spoiler something that actually happens? Or are they purposefully misconstruing something to further their hate for the series?
Vadara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:47 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I thought this was known already. But either way It certainly deserves it. It's one of the more popular LNs out there and the hour-long premier episode was a indicator they have high faith in the series.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
since pacing could change. spoiler[ Shield Hero literally says his "heart is put at ease" as he watches a woman get raped and murdered]. Just watching episode 1 it may be too early to assume the author is a misogynist, though there are many signs. But the more I read of the LN the more clear it becomes. The story reads like a self-insert fantasy of an extreme misogynist. The later events are impossible to defend and I hope the anime gets that far just so I can watch the attempts people make to defend such vileness.

Doesn't it seem like a leap in logic to assume because a character in a fictional work acts a certain way it's a reflection of the author?

When that character is the hero and thus the most sympathetic character to the audience, yes indeed.
Nait726

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Is the spoiler something that actually happens? Or are they purposefully misconstruing something to further their hate for the series?

I've only read the manga and nothing like this has happened. Not sure if the light novel is different but based off what I've read that seems very far fectehed from the tone of the series.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote
Sometimes Fiction is Just Fiction.
OR an Artistic expression, Or even a thought experiment.
Some works are just things that an author created just because they know there is a target demographic out there who would pay for it.

How do I know this? Because Bigfoot erotica exists and there are people who buy it
Azreide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain the writer is female...
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote
Copying a somewhat abridged version of what I posted in the other thread.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
So I'm kinda sick of talking about Shield Hero, but there's a falsehood being repeated in this thread and on Twitter a lot that I want to address. People keep on claiming that the author is a woman, and are using this as some kinda gotcha against ANN.

The author's gender is actually unknown. They use a pen name, and from what I understand have refused in person interviews because they are a private person. https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1082266702694367233

Which is perfectly fine, and well within their rights, but all the people asserting they're a woman are basing it on nothing. It is not confirmed. It is true that it's also not confirmed they're a man, but if you're gonna make that point, just say "you don't know for sure they're a man", not "actually they're a woman, I can't believe ANN sucks so much at research". because saying the latter is kinda ironic all things considering.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
The main character isn't 'misogynistic'.
He despises ALL residents of the world that he was called to, so he's reluctant to help or care. The princess who continually tries to ruin his life and have him murdered is truly disgusting, spoiler[I don't know if she's the character who's rape that person was referring to, but I could see why the main character wouldn't give a damn. As messed up or wrong that would be.]

The shield hero series is rather dark and is about struggles with revenge and hatred, when the whole world seems to hate you and no one trusts you, it's hard to not give into it.

I have no idea why so many people are being immature about this, or while this particular series is the one that is just TOO problematic.

It's ridiculous [/spoiler]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 am Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
The main character isn't 'misogynistic'.
He despises ALL residents of the world that he was called to, so he's reluctant to help or care.

This occurs less than three minutes into the show, long before anyone has betrayed or abused him.

Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I would also be interested to see what happens if the adaptation reaches that point in the story, and I agree that those actions do seem impossible to defend, but then I have to ask

Is the series over? Finished? Or is it still ongoing?
Did the story end with the MC still retaining that same mindset?
Because if the story isn't over then you're just continuing the same flawed presumption made in the first episode. You're judging a character by who they are in the Middle of the story when they could still have a dozen more books to change.

A protagonist can always start out one way and end up another, its called Character growth. People complain all the time about the Isekai Author inserts who always Start out Perfect and OP. Those characters always seemed more like the fantasy projection of the mindsets of their creators, because it reflects their 'ideal' self.
Which is why I find the concept of a MC that starts out as a piece of crap on the bottom who not only has to redeem his reputation, but himself as well to be a interesting angle. The way they mature and reach their revelations might be a more compelling story because it makes the MC more relatable to regular people than all those other Perfect-OP MCs

All I'm saying is maybe we all should wait to see how this plays out before condemning the character and the person who created them
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
So we get half a year of incessant Twitter warfare on this series? The free PR this series will get will keep it right at the top ratings wise
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
So we get half a year of incessant Twitter warfare on this series? The free PR this series will get will keep it right at the top ratings wise

Literally my thoughts on the matter. Given the reception and comments on sites like Crunchyroll and others, it’s pretty obvious most people either aren’t interested in this controversy or think the situation is overblown based on the first episode. Even Goblin Slayer had a more divided community and reception as to the question of its content and that still went on to become one of the most popular shows of the season.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5