• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Raises Subscription Prices in the U.S., 40 Latin American Countries

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
Don't use Netflix myself, but 2 bucks seems pretty insignificant. Is it really worth all the outrage I'm seeing?
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to see less and less of a reason to sign up for Netflix. I grew frustrated with their Marvel shows, primarily due to pacing issues with their long 13 episode order, plus some genuinely horrible writing at times. Then there's the matter of their anime releases which are still incredibly slow.

I want to support the official release of each series, but when they're not only behind the Japanese week to week releases, they're releasing every anime several months after the show is finished airing. So if you want to watch the anime week to week as it airs or marathon it when it's done airing, there are options out there that will get you the anime faster than Netflix will regardless of your consumption preference. I don't condone or support pirating and the likes, I just wish Netflix a service you pay a good amount for could compete with the speed of the more morally questionable services.

I know I've seen people explain Netflix's reasons but it still feels like you're paying for an inferior service. Which is going to be a problem as we get more and more streaming services.

Netflix's subtitles aren't that great for how long they take, even if I'm only talking in terms of the amount of typos I see. Crunchyroll has problems and I know people are quick to rip them apart, but at least their service is less than half the price and way faster.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
While I still support Netflix's overall goal of making anime more globally successful, I feel like with a few exceptions, the majority of their Netflix "original" anime has been average at best. Devilman Crybaby, B The Beginning, Knights of Sidonia, Little Witch Academia, and Violet Evergarden seem to be their biggest shows, but it feels like a majority of the anime they've invested in haven't exactly taken off with anime fandom. I'm hoping things will change around with the new GITS anime. But it often feels like Netflix is out of touch with what anime fandom is actually interested in watching versus what they think anime fans want.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
I don't know everything they've sponsored, but I really enjoyed Children of the Whales. Netflix is basically acting like Noitamina: Funding good budgets for more dramatic/niche series than Japan normally funds.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:50 am Reply with quote
I just often get the feeling Nefflix is operating under a 90s anime fandom mindset where they assume anime fans will watch whatever edgy sci-fi or action show they throw at us even if it's just kind of average.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:55 am Reply with quote
They also raised the price in Canada, not that anybody gives a shirt about Canada.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Seems like a bad idea to cancel marvel shows and then raise the price of the service. Luckily for me I haven't enjoyed any of the Netflix originals or any of the anime they license. And as it seems they won't be changing the type of anime they license I see no reason to sub.
EiMs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:54 am Reply with quote
Now it is just a mater of the time then they rise price in Euros, because we always have to pay more then American fellows. Price are 7.99€ for basic, 9,99€ for standard and 11,99€ for premium for now.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:59 am Reply with quote
Still worth it so long as I'm mooching off someone else! :D
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just often get the feeling Nefflix is operating under a 90s anime fandom mindset where they assume anime fans will watch whatever edgy sci-fi or action show they throw at us even if it's just kind of average.

To be fair here, that's just kinda how it is when they're funding a show sight unseen, isn't it? "Oh, that sounds like it might work, sure". Back in the day it was more like, "Well we just screened Vampire Wars and it has blood in it, so...SOLD!!"
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:03 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Still worth it so long as I'm mooching off someone else! Very Happy

Might not last long...
https://www.altpress.com/news/netflix-account-sharing-tech/
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:18 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Kicksville wrote:

Might not last long...
https://www.altpress.com/news/netflix-account-sharing-tech/

Well technology keeps getting creepier and creepier...

As someone who has ticks with things like how many times I click on a tab in my browser and the like, I'm already uncomfortable with how much that's likely getting recorded and sent to behavioral analysis people, so they can decide if I need to be locked up or if they want to sell me a t-shirt with cat memes on it.
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:22 am Reply with quote
I do not care. I use that service more than youtube. I'll pay whatever
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

crosswithyou wrote:

MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:29 am Reply with quote
Quick note for the editor, I am pretty sure there are less than 35 countries in Latin america and that is including the European dependencies
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While I still support Netflix's overall goal of making anime more globally successful, I feel like with a few exceptions, the majority of their Netflix "original" anime has been average at best. Devilman Crybaby, B The Beginning, Knights of Sidonia, Little Witch Academia, and Violet Evergarden seem to be their biggest shows, but it feels like a majority of the anime they've invested in haven't exactly taken off with anime fandom. I'm hoping things will change around with the new GITS anime. But it often feels like Netflix is out of touch with what anime fandom is actually interested in watching versus what they think anime fans want.

It seems to me as if their current strategy is more in the lines of licensing stuff that appeals to the non-anime fan that might be interested in trying anime for the first time, this is supported by their recent efforts in licensing the most popular shows from the previous couple year that still are somewhat mainstream such as one punch man and jojo, you know, stuff that poeple might have heard about or seen in their social media feed but never gave a chance. for netflix anime might as well be flashy filler, it is cheaper too license and still eye catchy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4