• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yuri Is My Job! GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
I really liked this one, turns out. I was unsure at the start and our lead does not endear herself from the get go, but it really started to click with me by the end. The patrons functioning as an over enthused audience was a fun touch and while I don’t necessarily like the manager, the visual gag of her swinging that “broken” arm around while nobody notices was one of the most amusing jokes I’ve seen in a bit.

I definitely felt like it was building to yuri in a job about yuri, but I don’t mind waiting for the payoff. It feels like so many yuri titles only go a couple volumes that a little long-form storytelling is a nice change.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
So, actual yuri through parody of yuri tropes. Interesting. Was wondering what the heck this was about, Rightstuf's description leaves out some important details... mainly, the entire concept, it just says the cafe is "themed after a private school." Might try this one while waiting on the next Bloom Into You installment.

Had no idea the "Class S" thing started in the 1920s, but I guess that kinda explains a lot. Or at least, the few things I know without ever watching or reading a straight example of it.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
The footnotes, as Rebecca notes, are very detailed and interesting stuff.

I was only vaguely aware of Class S but this explained a lot.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
If you're curious about Class S, I'd definitely suggest reading the story I mentioned in the review, "Yellow Rose." It's only about 50 pages long and a very good example of the genre's most classic form. I got my copy on Amazon for about $2, but it's probably available anywhere you can get digital books. (No hard copy in English that I know of, sadly.)
LvlfiveShipper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Accurate, I really hated how she was being forced into it and then scolded for not doing it right, because when you're trying to show the main character as someone superficial or with flaws that needs to grow up but instead it makes you feel that the protagonist is right and everyone else is being an asshole... well, I guess you failed, is not funny to give a hard time to someone who's already struggling even as parody.

That being said, I only saw the beginning and couldn't stand it... It probably got better and the misunderstanding was explained, right? .............right??? is because I have this doubt that I can't pick it up again.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:43 am Reply with quote
An accidental fall, and another girl ends up in hospital where it's already paid for. This leads to emotional blackmail? And the girl who had the accident doesn't simply say "Oh, go F yourself"? I am disgusted by people who are pushovers and elevating it to literature only ticks me off. I wouldn't read this if the rest were equal to War and Peace.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
So I went to my Barnes and Noble and checked this out thanks to this review, and...yeah, the pointlessly mean-spirited tone and the bullying the main character receives is exactly as bad as the reviewer said. She's blackmailed into working at the cafe, given absolutely NO instruction on how to do anything, is constantly bullied and yelled at by the other employees for not knowing anything and how to speak and act (When they're the ones at fault for not even teaching her anything in the first place!), and not only does the manager not do anything about any of this, she even encourages and enables the bullying! Honestly, the whole thing made me cringe. None of this is okay. At all. I absolutely HATE it when bullying is played for comedy and the bullies never get called on it or even punished for it. The things the girls put Hime through are perfect examples of workplace abuse. I've worked in several retail jobs, and if any of this shit happened, I know for sure the managers I work under would go apeshit and either fire or punish the bullies in question, because behavior like that is absolutely NOT okay, and they know it. If I were Hime, I'd get the hell out of that cafe and call the police on them!

What angers me the most is that even after all that, Hime still wants Ayanokouji to like her. Why?! Why would she want that jackass to like her?! If I were in that situation and she pulled that crap on me, I wouldn't want her anywhere near me! spoiler[Oh, and Ayanokouji is revealed to be the girl who outed Hime as a liar in elementary school.] What a twist!!!...no, it isn't. I saw it coming a mile away. Who wouldn't?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1