• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Anime-Gataris BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
fanservice is limited to shots of Minoa's friend Yui at track practice, forming the series' most persistent running joke.

Heh, 'running'.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
This series was a pleasant surprise to me when it first premiered and had me pretty charmed by its character interactions. I would welcome more of this series if it’s possible, but if not, I’m glad to see it go out with an unexpected bang.

Also, in one of the episode’s OP sequences, having Yui be the only character appearing in it was hilarious.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I always found the whole thing with Yui to be a good object lesson in the difference between "sexiness" and "sexualization". There's nothing in the art, the narrative, the characters' behavior, or anything else to suggest that Yui's any more attractive than any of the other characters, or at any rate any other athletic high-schooler -- but the camera keeps ogling her!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Also, in one of the episode’s OP sequences, having Yui be the only character appearing in it was hilarious.

Do you remember which episode this was? I somehow missed that.

Shay Guy wrote:
I always found the whole thing with Yui to be a good object lesson in the difference between "sexiness" and "sexualization". There's nothing in the art, the narrative, the characters' behavior, or anything else to suggest that Yui's any more attractive than any of the other characters, or at any rate any other athletic high-schooler -- but the camera keeps ogling her!

Yeah, I have to wonder if that wasn't the whole point. I might have liked the series as a whole a little more if it had more consistently been subversive from the start rather than just having little samples of it (most notably the "God light") and then unloading in episode 9.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I watched this recently. In my opinion it is a great example of perfectly average school anime show: not quite good but not quite bad, just plain average.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alconnow_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series but the last two episodes really ruined it for me.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:

It was Episode 10.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Since there was no mention of them, I'm guessing those original shorts aren't included. Too bad.
Parou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say that Anime-gataris is the greatest anime of the decade, one of the few things I have ever been willing to award a perfect 10/10. I think that it represents modern anime in its purest form. It's nice to see that someone appreciated the metaphysical aspect of it, but I don't think that you went far enough.
It isn't that it aims to take all of the best parts of anime and put them together, or to parody the industry, or to serve as some kind of weird cautionary tale. What I think is that every single scene, every single line, every single little decision in Anime-gataris was made with one question in mind: "What would anime do?" The result is a loving homage to all of the good and bad of anime (specifically the anime of the 2010s).
This includes the fact that it's 12 episodes and waits until the last bit to show its true colors. How many anime have you seen that used that exact structure? I don't think it's a mistake. If you were under the impression that this was supposed to be a successor to Genshiken, you were deceived (and I think that its deceptiveness only adds to its genius).
I'd say that I wish it was more popular, but maybe its lack of popularity also enriches it; after all, fading into obscurity is what the average anime would have done.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:

I'd be interested to know if you actually missed it or if it wasn't there.

When I was watching season 2 of Sentai's release of Haikyuu!! I kept looking for the change in the streaming OP where one of the players started sporting a facial bruise he'd gotten during the previous episode, only to realize they'd just used the same OP for all the episodes. I'm wondering if this has become a standard practice now to save disk space.

Hmm, sounds like a question for Answerman...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'd be interested to know if you actually missed it or if it wasn't there.

Just checked the BD, and yeah, ep 10's opener is a variant which features Yui almost exclusively (with a brief a appearance by Neko). Mostly it's a collection of her "sexy" shots. Pretty funny, actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rednimue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Are the original shorts available in any way, shape or form ?

Or is this another case of "limited screening event" like Fate/Zero Cafe ?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
This rare lead production effort by Wao World (Showa Monogatari and Time Travel Girl are their only other production lead efforts)

While it would be correct to say that it is a rare lead production effort by Wao World (since they primarily provide assistant work), it might be more accurate to describe the aforementioned works as their only previous TV ones. The studio was initially founded as a vehicle for producing folksy Japanese works, as reflected in their first three theatrical films from the mid-2000s (the most notable being "Symphony in August"). They also did a handful of short OV/NAs between then and Anime-Gataris, as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faisalahmed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show, but it is kind of a case where it's really only especially worth watching for the last few episodes. It's not bad getting there certainly but those are what really make it worth the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1