Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emma: A Victorian Romance Anime's English Dub Casts Ted Lewis as William




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CANimeFan88



Joined: 19 Feb 2016
Posts: 342
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I bet there are a lot of anime fans in the UK who would love to provide voice-over work for English dub anime. So far, Castlevania is one of very few animated productions inspired by anime to include real British actors (Richard Armtridge, Graham McTavish, James Callis, etc.).

Can we see more voice-over talent in the UK voicing/dubbing anime-like characters?

Black Butler really should have had an authentic UK cast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
merr



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Posts: 217
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they’re just saving the rest of the promised native British talent for later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsevakis
ANN Director of New Media


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1670
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I bet there are a lot of anime fans in the UK who would love to provide voice-over work for English dub anime. So far, Castlevania is one of very few animated productions inspired by anime to include real British actors (Richard Armtridge, Graham McTavish, James Callis, etc.).

I wish it was cheaper to dub over there. I do miss all the London-based dubs from the 90s. (Being fans does not equal being a qualified voice actor, but plenty of good actors over there as well.)
Also unfortunately most production studios over there also use a French ADR method called Bande Rhythmo, which makes everyone sound like they're reading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
alvorado



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Also unfortunately most production studios over there also use a French ADR method called Bande Rhythmo, which makes everyone sound like they're reading.

What proof do you have of this assertion? UK voice over studios are some of the best in the world and have produced great game and animated voice overs, so to claim they produce a "reading" effect requires some real evidence to counterpoint that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CANimeFan88



Joined: 19 Feb 2016
Posts: 342
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
(Being fans does not equal being a qualified voice actor, but plenty of good actors over there as well.)

That was a mistake on my part. I should have said that there is probably talent in the UK who might be fans of Japanese anime and thus might develop the interest in voicing characters their way. I don't know how it is over in the UK. I just assumed that they might be tired of watching English dub anime with American accents. I would like some one from the UK give an opinion about this. I was thinking YouTuber gigguk as an example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13707
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 am Reply with quote
Demon City Shinjuku

But even British/European voiced animated series (e.g. Gumball, My Knight and Me) have VAs talk American English to better sell the shows to lucrative US distributors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsevakis
ANN Director of New Media


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1670
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
alvorado wrote:
What proof do you have of this assertion? UK voice over studios are some of the best in the world and have produced great game and animated voice overs, so to claim they produce a "reading" effect requires some real evidence to counterpoint that.

Pretty much every Manga UK dub pre-2001, the UK dub of Millennium Actress... Not too many dubs made recently over there to point to.

Of course some studios over there do great work, and I do love me some vintage Manga UK dubs, but the fact remains that they do sound "different." And you're right in that their game and pre-lay work sounds fine, but they're not using bande rhythmo on that, because it's only for ADR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group