• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes Anime Film Earns 1.5 Billion Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
That's a series I'd like to see rebooted.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 am Reply with quote
@Dardre Agreed!!

I don't think I've watched any City Hunter in something like 15 years....but I enjoyed it at the time. I'm certainly going to check out this movie, and I'm glad to hear it's doing well.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:

And how are you going to get a reboot when modern anime audiences (especially in the US) hate heterosexual relationships ? City Hunter without Ryo oogling around adult sexy women is not City Hunter. You'd end up either with Ryo going full gay, or some demented lolicon anime. In either case it would be utter shit. Ryo is a ladies man through and through, take that away and you might as well call it Yuri Hunter or LGBT Hunter. No thanks.
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Dardre wrote:

And how are you going to get a reboot when modern anime audiences (especially in the US) hate heterosexual relationships ? City Hunter without Ryo oogling around adult sexy women is not City Hunter. You'd end up either with Ryo going full gay, or some demented lolicon anime. In either case it would be utter shit. Ryo is a ladies man through and through, take that away and you might as well call it Yuri Hunter or LGBT Hunter. No thanks.

Simple, just produce thinking about the Japanese audience, not the Western audience. Several Western-rated sites criticized the movie for its "outdated" content with the new times, but the Japanese liked the film a lot, grossed almost the same as the latest Fate and Boku no Hero films and we have to take into account that the film is geared towards older people and not teenagers.

Of course, as you yourself said, people are overly sensitive nowadays, but like series like Goblin Slayer survived on Japanese TV even with the various Western critics and will still win a continuation, I think City Hunter would survive, the series is unknown in the west, but quite popular in Japan.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Dardre wrote:

Oh stop your whining. It’s a Japanese movie, why the hell would they care about another group of people think?

Plus this movie just made bank so they have even more reason to not care what other people think.
Takamuratrollface

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
I would rather have a sequel in the style of Lupin the 3rd or Gegege no Kitaro while exploring arcs from the manga that are not adapted as of yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1