• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What's So Great About Fruits Basket?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Shigure may be a bit of a sleaze, but he's never presented as a romantic option for Tohru. As for who Shigure actually gets romantically involved with...that goes into spoiler territory.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I just love how you mostly called Fruits Basket “Froob”.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:

I actually like that better than "Fruba," which is what it gets shortened to in Japanese (thus consequently what I'm used to).
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
That last pic was pure Gold
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad a new generation of fans can watch this series from beginning to the end and, hopefully be encouraged to pick up the reprint of the manga. What I find interesting about Froob (such a weird word) is how even at a glance there is something not quite "right" about the characters and that having them turn into animals was more than just a cute gimmick. Like how Loveless had those cat ears to mean virginity but, never went anywhere with it.

Looking at Tohru now as an "adult" I appreciate her more than when I was younger and there are moments later on in the story that will push her to the limit and I can't wait to cry/cheer for her. Still hate how back in the day of middle school, people hated her for being "so dumb", so it's great she's getting some love now.

Also...
Quote:
I want Tohru to wait for him to yawn and stick her finger in his mouth

I'm 80% sure 13/14 year old me read a Kyo/Tohru fanfic that had this scene.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I never finished hte original because I heard how the anime ended. So I'm really looking forward to this adaptation. My main issue is literally that they subtitled it "1st Season". Blu-rays list 6 volumes with 4 eps a piece, so at least it's gonna be 24 episodes for the FIRST SEASON which should already show the pacing will be much better than the original anime was lol. By "main issue" I just meant that I'm disappointed that it's not gonna be one super long season, but rather is gonna be split, apparently. But I understand that might help them pace production better to maintain a more consistent quality. So I'm still really hyped to see a proper version of this classic
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:16 am Reply with quote
If it doesn't orbit Ergo Proxy I'm not interested.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:26 am Reply with quote
I have not been following the Furuba threads properly; so if this is not the proper thread for my question, then I apologize.....
My query:
I keep on coming across different spellings for the last name (i.e., Soma vs. Sohma) and I would like to know if both are equally valid.

gridsleep wrote:
If it doesn't orbit Ergo Proxy I'm not interested.
Huh? Neutral Confused Anime dazed
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
I have not been following the Furuba threads properly; so if this is not the proper thread for my question, then I apologize.....
My query:
I keep on coming across different spellings for the last name (i.e., Soma vs. Sohma) and I would like to know if both are equally valid.

Both could be "correct" but the last name in Japanese has a prolonged "o" sound -you may also find it spelled as Souma because of this-. So technically the the most accurate spelling would be Sōma but since the macron can be a pain in the ass I think Sohma is accepted as the "official" romanization
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
nobahn wrote:
My query:

Both could be "correct" but the last name in Japanese has a prolonged "o" sound -you may also find it spelled as Souma because of this-. So technically the the most accurate spelling would be Sōma but since the macron can be a pain in the ass I think Sohma is accepted as the "official" romanization

Also, many of us were broken by Tokyopop back in the day, so that name stuck.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:

I, too, support Jacob Chapman's suggestion that, henceforth, the act of watching Fruits Basket episodes should be referred to as "Froobin'".
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The original show to this day has taught me some valuable lessons on how to be a decent human being. As a teenager, I'd say that was much more educational than anything else in my life at the time. After reading the manga, I'm so excited about the pace of this show. I can appreciate it in a new light and recommend it to newcomers who are on the fence about Shoujo or anime in general.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
1st episode was ok.

2nd episode was pretty boring.

If it doesn't improve I will drop it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel
For whatever this might be worth, I recommend the manga.....
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Despite cutting my teeth on stuff Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, and Peach Girl in high school, when I was exposed to Froob in college, I was very "hell naw," but I do have a Shigure plush because so-damn-tired-dog stuffie is still the greatest thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2