• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Isekai Quartet Crossover Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I found it funny that CR had all four series but not the crossover. Good to see they fixed that.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is also listing a placeholder in the page for the English dub, which is interesting. Launches at 3pm CT today.
Edit: Oh and CR literally just announced they are streaming Helpful Fox Senko-san as well. This is quite an interesting turn of events.
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Funimation is realizing just having content doesn't mean you are in the distribution game.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Crunchyroll is also listing a placeholder in the page for the English dub, which is interesting. Launches at 3pm CT today.
Edit: Oh and CR literally just announced they are streaming Helpful Fox Senko-san as well. This is quite an interesting turn of events.

At this point, I'm pretty convinced that Crunchyroll must have sublicensed from Funimation for streaming. We're pretty far from when the partnership ended, and we're seeing more shows appearing on both compared to last season. For a while, I thought maybe there were some shows that were not exclusive, like what happened with Pop Team Epic, but I have a hard time seeing Funimation, especially now with Sony behind them, signing non-exclusive contracts to this extent. Throw in that things that were Funimation's from the start, like MHA season 1, are back on CR, and I think it is more and more likely that CR offered them a substantial amount of money.

Granted, it seems strange for Funimation to agree to that since exclusives have been the name of the game in streaming, but a sizable enough payment now might be a better option than to hope that any exclusives are sufficient incentive to get a lot of new subscribers. It's not exactly uncommon to see comments along the lines of planning to subscribe long enough to watch one show, and then cancelling.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Granted, it seems strange for Funimation to agree to that since exclusives have been the name of the game in streaming, but a sizable enough payment now might be a better option than to hope that any exclusives are sufficient incentive to get a lot of new subscribers.

In a way having simuldubs makes the stuff Funimation picks up exclusive. Funimation should keep adding more paid subscribers as long as they keep doing simuldubs.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I found it funny that CR had all four series but not the crossover. Good to see they fixed that.

I find it funny that you forgot to mention that at one time Funimation had three of the 4 shows on its streaming platform as well. It made perfect sense that funimation "might have" snagged exclusive rights to the show
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

I find it funny that you forgot to mention that at one time Funimation had three of the 4 shows on its streaming platform as well. It made perfect sense that funimation "might have" snagged exclusive rights to the show

Sounds like Funimation didn't have all four shows then huh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1