• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino Holds Press Conference For Upcoming Exhibit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
He is deeply overrated in my opinion. Tomino can in a rare moon make something good like MSG, Xabungle or Turn A but more often then not, he is an absolute hack as a director and writer, especially when it comes to Gundam. Mod Edit- Removed trolling dig - Mad_Scientist

Quote:
"Now that anime and manga have been accepted as part of our culture, I'd like you to think about how they respond and interact with society at large. When you come away from the World of Yoshiyuki Tomino, it's your homework to think about what kind of role media should play, and what kinds of messages they should convey.
You mean like how Victory Gundam's message basically said that feminism was a mistake and women have no place in politics?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Tomino is one of my favorite anime directors, though he's also a weird guy who can't decide which works of his he likes and which he doesn't. It seems to change with the wind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
Overall, I can't really buy into the argument that Tomino is a "hack". He's not the best writer in the world, but consider his track record when it comes to directing:

In the 70's, Zambot, Daitarn, and Reideen did exactly what they were created to do: inject their respective toylines with as much gravitas as the creative team could get away with while the toy companies weren't looking. No complaints about La Seine no Hoshi, and while I haven't seen Triton of the Sea, I've heard it's good. Then we have the original Gundam series, which I know people hold up as some kind of high point of Tomino's directorial career, but honestly, I think his 80s Gundam shows were more coherently and artfully-told stories.

Speaking of the 80s, pretty much every TV series Tomino made would now be considered "problematic" in some way (lookin' at you, Reccoa Londe), but his movies hold up well, including the Gundam trilogy, Ideon: Be Invoked (what an ending!), Xabungle Graffiti (way more satisfying resolution of the romantic plotlines than in the show), and even Counterattack, which I maintain has the best and most iconic ending sequence in the entire Gundam franchise.

In the 90s, I personally feel as though F91, Victory, and the most recent Dunbine projects are definitely Tomino's weakest works, and a bit of a dark period for him both in terms of narrative cohesion and ability to write female characters that actually represent living breathing human beings... but I also feel that it's important to remember that all of them have their fair share of fans. Different strokes and all that.

Moving past that, however, everything Tomino has touched has been staggeringly creative, and I'd go one step further and claim that - aside from the original three Gundam films - his three most recent writer/director-combo TV shows (Turn A Gundam, Brain Powerd, and Reconguista in G) represent his best works.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
Let's knock it off with the back and forth trolling/insults in this thread. (Those I'm warning know who they are).
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
As far as English language fan circles go at least, I'm not sure he can be called overrated when it seems like he's one of the most directly by-name criticized anime directors ever.
Zeino wrote:
You mean like how Victory Gundam's message basically said that feminism was a mistake and women have no place in politics?

This is, with all due respect, a very shallow take that sells the show short. To be fair, "V Gundam hates ladies" seems to be the default take for plenty of others, but I just don't think it's right.
deviljho0001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:49 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
He is deeply overrated in my opinion. Tomino can in a rare moon make something good like MSG, Xabungle or Turn A but more often then not, he is an absolute hack as a director and writer, especially when it comes to Gundam. Mod Edit- Removed trolling dig - Mad_Scientist

Quote:
"Now that anime and manga have been accepted as part of our culture, I'd like you to think about how they respond and interact with society at large. When you come away from the World of Yoshiyuki Tomino, it's your homework to think about what kind of role media should play, and what kinds of messages they should convey.

Tomino is a hack at directing? His storyboards are masterfully done. Most of his action scenes had really great pacing and directing. Victory Gundam has so many creative scenes on it. I do agree he is not a good writer but he knows how to direct a scene. Reconguista in G is beautifully animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1